Wood Chips: Introduction
- Wood chips are small-to-medium-sized pieces of wood, which are formed by cutting and chipping large pieces of wood such as trees, logging residues, branches, roots, stumps, and wood waste. The process of making wood chips is called wood chipping. It is performed by using a wood chipper. Several types of wood chippers are available. Every chipper has a different use, depending on the type of processing of wood chips. Wood chips can also be produced from residual forest materials including tree branches, tree crowns, unsaleable materials, or undersized trees. Forestry activities provide raw materials required for wood chip production. Almost any tree can be converted into wood chips; however, the type and quality of wood used to produce wood chips depends largely on the end-user industry.
- Woodchips are commonly used to design degrading bioreactors, orchards, and gardens
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Wood Chips Market
- Rise in usage of renewable sources of energy such as biomass owing to depleting conventional sources of energy is propelling the wood chips market. Increase in demand for wood chips in the pulp industry, wherein wood chips are used as a raw material to produce pulp, is also augmenting the wood chips market. When burned, wood chips produce biochar, which is known as charcoal. It can be either utilized as charcoal or returned to the soil, as wood ash can be used as a fertilizer for soil. This is also expected to drive the wood chips market during the forecast period. Requirement for sustainability-related certifications and restrictions imposed on GHG emissions from wood chips when used for energy generation are likely to hinder the wood chips market during the forecast period.
Wood Chips: Segmentation
- Based on variety, the wood chips market can be segmented into recycled chips, forest chips, sawing residue chips, and wood residue chips
- Based on raw material, the wood chips market can be bifurcated into residue wood and pulp wood
- In terms of chipper, the wood chips market can be divided into drum type, disk type, screw type, and others
- Based on conveyance method, the wood chips market can be segregated into batch system, hopper with direct chute, pneumatic, and conveyor belt
- In terms of application, the wood chips market can be classified into playground surfacing, barbe curing, wood pulp, mulch, fuel, bioreactors, and others
COVID-19 Impact on Wood Chips Market
- Emergence of the new COVID strain in many developed and developing countries has adversely affected the health care infrastructure. Hospital staff, medicines, oxygen beds, and ventilators are in short supply. Graveyards and crematoriums have been working continuously to tackle the rise in dead bodies. Supply chains are facing disruptions, leading to disturbances in production activities in many countries.
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 213 countries and territories around the world.
- Shortage of labor due to the ongoing COVID-19 crisis and unavailability of raw materials are further expected to hamper the wood chips market in the near future
Europe to Dominate Wood Chips Market
- In terms of region, the global wood chips market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Europe is expected to dominate the global wood chips market, closely followed by Asia Pacific and North America. Conventionally, wood chips have been used in Europe for heat and power generation in small-scale (20MW) plants. Generally, locally sourced wood is used for this purpose. West Africa has been a source of wood chips for energy for several years, but in fairly small volumes. Asia Pacific follows Europe, owing to a high growth potential for the wood chips market in South Korea and Japan. This can be ascribed to Japan’s Feed-in-Tariff subsidy scheme and large pipeline of biomass projects. The wood chips market in Middle East & Africa is anticipated to expand at a rapid pace in the next few years. Rise in importance of sustainable production processes about wood cultivation and processing is further estimated to boost of the market in the region.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Wood Chips Market
The global wood chips market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the global wood chips market include:
- Cogent Fibre
- EVOWORLD GmbH
- Enviva Pellets
- St. Boniface Ballet
- American Wood Resources
- Boniface Pallet Company Ltd
- Mitsui & Co., Ltd.
- Oji Holdings
- Orsted A/S
- Sojitz Corporation
- Verdo A/S
Global Wood Chips Market: Research Scope
Global Wood Chips Market, by Variety
- Recycled Chips
- Forest Chips
- Sawing Residue Chips
- Wood Residue Chips
Global Wood Chips Market, by Raw Material
- Residue Wood
- Pulp Wood
Wood Chips Market, by Chipper
- Disk Type
- Drum Type
- Screw Type
Global Wood Chips Market, by Conveyance Method
- Hopper With Direct Chute
- Batch System
- Conveyor Belt
Global Wood Chips Market, by Application
- Playground Surfacing
- Barbe Curing
- Wood Pulp
Global Wood Chips Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
With a robust experience in creating exceptional market reports, Transparency Market Research has emerged as one of the trusted market research companies among a large number of stakeholders and CXOs. Every report at Transparency Market Research goes through rigorous research activity in every aspect. The researchers at TMR keep a close watch on the market and extract beneficial growth-boosting points. These points help the stakeholders to strategize their business plans accordingly.
TMR researchers conduct exhaustive qualitative and quantitative research. This research involves taking inputs from the experts in the market, focused attention on recent developments, and others. This method of research makes TMR stand out from other market research firms.
Here's how Transparency Market Research helps the stakeholders and CXOs through the reports:
Inculcation and Evaluation of Strategic Collaborations: The TMR researchers analyze recent strategic activities like mergers, acquisitions, partnerships, collaborations, and joint ventures. All the information is compiled and included in the report.
Perfect Market Size Estimations: The report analyzes the demographics, growth potential, and capability of the market through the forecast period. This factor leads to the estimation of the market size and also provides an outline about how the market will retrieve growth during the assessment period.
Investment Research: The report focuses on the ongoing and upcoming investment opportunities across a particular market. These developments make the stakeholders aware of the current investment scenario across the market.
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.