Wind Turbine Drivetrain: Introduction
- Wind turbine drivetrain is composed of gearbox and generators that convert rotational energy of blades into electrical energy. It connects the low-speed shaft attached to turbine blades to high-speed shafts attached to the generator.
- Wind turbine drivetrain converts kinetic energy at low rotational speed to medium/high rotational speed with the help of the gearbox. It then converts kinetic energy into electrical energy with the help of an electric generator.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Wind Turbine Drivetrain Market
- Demand for electricity has been rising significantly across the globe along with an increase in the prices of fossil fuels. Significant rise in energy prices has compelled manufacturers to focus on the adoption of cost-effective sources of electricity generation such as solar, wind, and hydro. Increase in usage of wind turbine for wind power generation is expected to drive the global wind turbine drivetrain market during the forecast period.
- Shift in trend toward the adoption of renewable resources to lower greenhouse gas emissions has encouraged many power generation companies to construct wind farms for generating wind energy. This is expected to propel the global wind turbine drivetrain market during the forecast period.
- Rise in investment in renewable technologies has resulted in reduction in the cost of wind power generation. This has led to an increase in installation of wind power plants in developing economies. In turn, this is anticipated to boost the global wind turbine drivetrain market.
- Technological innovation with respect to design of next generation of drivetrains by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) is projected to propel the global wind turbine drivetrain market between 2021 and 2031. However, high cost of repair and downtime issues of gearbox assembled in wind turbine drivetrain may hamper the global wind turbine drivetrain market.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
- The coronavirus pandemic has adversely affected most of the economies across the world. Several restrictions have been placed on industrial and economic activities to curb the spread of the COVID-19 disease. These restrictions, in the form of stringent lockdowns, have also adversely impacted wind energy projects. Significant investments were made in wind energy projects by several countries in 2020. Plans to introduce 28 new offshore wind farms worth US$ 35 Bn were announced in 2020. However, these had to be stalled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Thus, the COVID-19 pandemic has hampered the operations of companies functioning in the global wind turbine drivetrain market.
- In December 2020, Global Renewable Energy Development Holding Company Limited (GREDHCL) has entered into an agreement with Senvion GmbH to acquire Senvion India, a wind turbine operation service provider based in India
Global Wind Turbine Drivetrain Market: Key Segments
- The global wind turbine drivetrain market can be segmented based on type, capacity, application, and region
- Based on type, the global wind turbine drivetrain market can be segregated into conventional drivetrain, direct drivetrain, and multiple generator drivetrain
- Based on capacity, the global wind turbine drivetrain market can be divided into 2 MW, 2-5 MW, and above 5 MW. The 2-5 MW capacity is average offshore wind turbine capacity.
- In terms of application, the global wind turbine drivetrain market can be classified into offshore wind power and onshore wind power. The offshore wind power segment is expected to expand significantly during the forecast period due to substantial investment in offshore wind farms by investors of wind energy.
Global Wind Turbine Drivetrain Market: Regional Segmentation
- In terms of region, the global wind turbine drivetrain market can be split into Middle East & Africa, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe, and North America
- North America is expected to dominate the global wind turbine drivetrain market during the forecast period due to the rise in investment in wind farms and decrease in cost of wind energy in the region
- Asia Pacific is estimated to hold large share of the market during the forecast period. Government policies to promote the production of wind energy and rise in installation of wind farm are likely to drive the market in Asia Pacific in the near future.
- The wind turbine drivetrain market in Europe is projected to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period. Growth of the market in the region can be ascribed to shift in trend in development of renewable energy projects to reduce GHG emissions in several countries in Europe including Sweden, Germany, Italy, and France.
- The wind turbine drivetrain market in Middle East & Africa is expected to expand at a sluggish pace during the forecast period
Key Players Operating in Global Market
Leading companies operating in the global market are:
- GENERAL ELECTRIC
- ENERCON GmbH
- Senvion GmbH
- ZF Friedrichshafen AG
- Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy, S.A.
- China High Speed Transmission Equipment Group Co., Ltd.
Global Wind Turbine Drivetrain Market: Research Scope
Global Wind Turbine Drivetrain Market, by Type
- Conventional Drivetrain
- Direct Drivetrain
- Multiple Generator Drivetrain
Global Wind Turbine Drivetrain Market, by Capacity
- 2 MW
- 2-5 MW
- Above 5 MW
Global Wind Turbine Drivetrain Market, by Application
- Onshore Wind Power
- Offshore Wind Power
Global Wind Turbine Drivetrain Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.