Wind Turbine Blade Materials: Introduction
- Blades are an important part of a wind turbine, and these are expensive components of a turbine. Wind turbine blades consist of two faces, one is the suction side and the other is the pressure side. These are joined together and stiffened by one or several integral webs linking the upper and lower parts of the blade shell. Blades are vulnerable components of a wind turbine, as these are susceptible to lightening. Composite materials are utilized to manufacture blades of turbines.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Wind Turbine Blade Materials Market
- The wind turbine blade materials market has expanded significantly in the last few years. This can be primarily ascribed to the high performance of wind turbines and increasing recognition of renewable energy globally. Wind turbine blade materials play an important role in addressing several issues associated with the use of fossil fuels for the generation of energy. The global wind turbine blade materials market is anticipated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period due to an increase in the number of wind power generation projects, technology advancements, rise in government subsidies, growing environmental concerns, and an increase in the demand for renewable energy across the globe.
- Rise in investments for and provision of clean energy incentives schemes for the development of renewable energy is expected to be a major factor driving the wind turbine blade materials market. Lack of grid infrastructure, which leads to the curtailment of power, and lack of skilled labor and capital in certain countries restrain the global wind turbine blades material market.
Wind Turbine Blade Materials: Fiber Segment
- In terms of fiber, the global wind turbine blade materials market can be segmented into carbon fiber and glass fiber
- The glass fiber segment is expected to account for a significant share of the global wind turbine blade materials market during the forecast period, as these possess better properties, such as chemical resistance, strength, and stiffness, as compared to that possessed by carbon fiber.
Wind Turbine Blade Materials: Resin Segment
- In terms of resin, the global wind turbine blade materials market can be classified into epoxy, polyester, and vinyl ester
- The epoxy segment is estimated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period due to its lower temperature cure and lower viscosity as compared to that of other alternatives
Wind Turbine Blade Materials: Manufacturing Process Segment
- In terms of manufacturing process, the global wind turbine blade materials market can be divided into hand lay-up technology, vacuum infusion, prepreg, and resin infusion technology
- The resin infusion technology segment can be further sub-segmented into resin transfer molding and vacuum assisted resin transfer molding. Presently, vacuum assisted resin transfer molding is extensively employed to manufacture wind turbine blades.
Wind Turbine Blade Materials: Application Segment
- In terms of application, the global wind turbine blade materials market can be bifurcated into onshore and offshore
- The onshore segment is estimated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period owing to an increase in the demand for renewable energy for residential purposes
COVID-19 Impact on Wind Turbine Blade Materials Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 213 countries and territories around the world.
- Several governments and private sector businesses are operating at a limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic
- Manufacture of various consumer goods and other products across the globe has come to a halt due to the unavailability of raw materials, shortage of labor, etc. This is expected to hamper the wind turbine blade materials market.
Asia Pacific to Dominate Wind Turbine Blade Materials Market
- In terms of region, the global wind turbine blade materials market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific dominated the wind turbine blade materials market in 2020. This trend is anticipated to continue during the forecast period. This can be ascribed to the high demand for renewable energy sources; rise in the demand for lightweight and high strength materials used in the manufacturing of various parts of wind turbines; and supportive government initiatives such as favorable policies and wind power development programs; and government regulations regarding renewable energy. However, the wind turbine blade materials market in Europe is anticipated to expand at a rapid pace owing to an increase in wind installation capacity, which is more than that of any other form of power generation in Europe.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Wind Turbine Blade Materials Market
The global wind turbine blade materials market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the global wind turbine blade materials market include:
- Suzlon Energy Limited
- AVIC Huiteng Windpower Equipment Co., Ltd.
- TPI Composites Inc.
- MFG Wind
- LM Wind Power
- Gamesa Corporation Technology
- Vestas Wind Systems A/S
- Stem AS
- Acciona S.A.
Global Wind Turbine Blade Materials Market: Research Scope
Global Wind Turbine Blade Materials Market, by Fiber
- Carbon Fiber
- Glass Fiber
Global Wind Turbine Blade Materials Market, by Resin
- Vinyl Ester
Global Wind Turbine Blade Materials Market, by Manufacturing Process
- Hand Lay-up Technology
- Vacuum Infusion
- Resin Infusion Technology
Global Wind Turbine Blade Materials Market, by Application
Global Wind Turbine Blade Materials Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.