Global Whooping Cough Treatment Market: Introduction
- Whooping cough, also called Pertussis, is a highly communicable respiratory disease. It is caused by the bacterium Bordetella pertussis.
- Mild coughing, sneezing, runny nose, and low fever are the symptoms of whooping cough
- After around 1 to 2 weeks, the dry, irritating cough converts into coughing spells. At the end of a spell, the child may make the characteristic whooping sound when breathing in or may vomit.
- In teens and adults, whooping cough can lead to pneumonia
- Early treatment for whooping cough is highly important, usually whooping cough is treated by antibiotics. Treatment can also help prevent the spread of the disease to close contacts. Whooping cough can sometimes be very serious, requiring treatment in the hospital. Babies are at a greatest risk for serious complications from whooping cough.
Global Whooping Cough Treatment Market: Key Drivers
- Rise in prevalence of respiratory infectious diseases is projected to drive the global whooping cough treatment market
- Respiratory diseases are highly communicable and can spread rapidly from person-to-person through contact with airborne droplets. Studies showed that one infected person can transmit B. pertussis to as many as 12 to 17 other susceptible persons.
- In developed and developing countries, climatic factors such as temperature and humidity may play an important role in transmission. Moreover, increase in population may act as important drivers for pertussis transmission. These factors are projected to boost the market during the forecast period.
- According to WHO (World Health Organization), 24.1 million pertussis cases and 160,700 deaths in children younger than 5 years are recorded worldwide
- Increasing prevalence of pneumonia is another key factor driving the whooping cough treatment market
North America to Capture Major Share of Global Whooping Cough Treatment Market
- In terms of region, the global whooping cough treatment market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America is projected to dominate the global whooping cough treatment market during the forecast period due to an increase in burden of COVID-19, advanced health care infrastructure, and rising prevalence of chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases, flu diseases, whooping cough, and other respiratory infections.
- Key factors that boost the whooping cough treatment market in North America also include substantial awareness for respiratory diseases and favorable insurance policies for coverage of chronic respiratory diseases in the region
- Europe accounts for the second-largest share of the global whooping cough treatment. According to NIH, incidence of Pertussis in adults is increasing in Europe. Therefore, rising cases of whooping cough is boosting the need for treatment across the region.
- The market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period, owing to the presence of key players involved in manufacturing generic drugs for the treatment of the disease in the region
Key Players Operating in Global Whooping Cough Treatment Market
Major players operating in the global whooping cough treatment market are:
- Merck & Co., Inc.
- Ipca Laboratories
- Cipla Inc
- Zydus Cadila
- Boehringer Ingelheim International GmbH
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd.
- GlaxoSmithKline plc
- Novartis AG
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
Global Whooping Cough Treatment Market: Research Scope
Global Whooping Cough Treatment Market, by Patient Type
Global Whooping Cough Treatment Market, by Drug Type
- Prescription Drugs
- Cough syrups
- Cough Medicine
Global Whooping Cough Treatment Market, by End-user
- Paediatric clinics
Global Whooping Cough Treatment Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa