White Fused Alumina: Introduction
- Calcined alumina, also known as corundum or alpha alumina, is an essential raw material used in the manufacture of white fused alumina. White fused alumina is the purest form of alumina, produced by fusing calcined alumina in electric arc furnaces at a temperature of about 2,000°C. White fused alumina possesses excellent properties such as hardness, purity, chemical stability, melting point, and large crystal size. It is primarily used in specific refractory applications such as high tech refractory castables, isostatic pressed refractories, and pre-cast refractory shapes owing to its high purity. White fused alumina possesses high alumina content, low impurities, and stability at high temperatures. It is commercially available in block, grain, and powder forms. Particle shapes of white fused alumina vary from angular, blocky, sharp, and irregular. These particle shapes affect the performance of the product.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global White Fused Alumina Market
The white fused alumina market has developed significantly in the recent years. This can be primarily ascribed to the high performance and increasing recognition of white fused alumina in various applications. White fused alumina is also applied for degreasing, de-oiling, texturing, descaling, discoloration removal, and roughening applications. White fused alumina plays an important role in addressing several issues associated with heat, abrasion, purity, chemical stability, refractoriness, and corrosion. Rise in usage of white fused alumina in refractory and ceramic industries is expected to propel the white fused alumina market during the forecast period.
- White fused alumina-based abrasives are increasingly used to manufacture products such as cutting-off and grinding wheels, snagging wheels, mounted wheels, honing stones, and construction plugs & cones. This is anticipated to boost the demand for white fused alumina.
White Fused Alumina: Grade Segment
- In terms of grade, the global white fused alumina market can be segmented into refractory, ceramic, and abrasive
- The refractory segment is expected to account for significant share of the global white fused alumina market during the forecast period. It is anticipated to be followed by the ceramic segment.
- The abrasive segment is likely to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period, due to the expansion of the materials industry around the globe
White Fused Alumina: Application Segment
- In terms of application, the global white fused alumina market can be segregated into abrasives, abrasion protection, metalworking processes, refractories, engineered ceramics, pressure blasting, and others
- The refractories segment is estimated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period. It is projected to be followed by the abrasion protection segment.
- The engineered ceramic segment is likely to expand at a healthy CAGR during the forecast period due to its properties such as oxidation resistance, fracture toughness, wear resistance, and corrosion resistance
COVID-19 Impact on White Fused Alumina Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 213 countries and territories around the world.
- Several governments and private sector businesses are operating at a limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic
- Manufacture of various consumer goods and other products across the globe has come to a halt due to the unavailability of raw materials, shortage of labor, etc. This is expected to hamper the white fused alumina market.
Asia Pacific to Dominate White Fused Alumina Market
- In terms of region, the global white fused alumina market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific dominated the white fused alumina market in 2020. This trend is anticipated to continue during the forecast period. This can be ascribed to the presence of large metal processors and ceramic manufacturers in the region. The white fused alumina market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period owing to the rise in industrialization in countries such as China and Japan.
- The white fused alumina market in North America is also estimated to expand at a significant pace owing to the rise in demand for white fused alumina in the construction industry in the region
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global White Fused Alumina Market
The global white fused alumina market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the global white fused alumina market include:
- Saint-Gobain Ceramic Materials
- Nippon Light Metal Co., Ltd.
- SHOWA DENKO K.K.
- Richard Baker Harrison Limited
- Elfusa (Curimbaba Group)
- Washington Mills
- Electro Abrasives, LLC
- Imerys Refractory Minerals
- Henan Ruishi Renewable Resources Group Co., Ltd.
- Yichuan Shengyu Abrasives Co. Limited
- Zhengzhou whale refractory co., LTD
- Guizhou Dazhong Qisha
- Shanmenxia Fused Corundum
- Henan Yilong High & New Materials
Global White Fused Alumina Market: Research Scope
Global White Fused Alumina Market, by Grade
Global White Fused Alumina Market, by Application
- Abrasion Protection
- Metalworking Processes
- Engineered Ceramics
- Pressure Blasting
Global White Fused Alumina Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!