Wave Energy Converter Market: Introduction
- Tidal and wave energy are considered to be the most promising green technology, as they produce the most concentrated form of energy
- A wave energy converter captures the energy present in ocean waves and uses it to generate electricity. It is a highly efficient technology, which harnesses immense renewable energy contained in ocean waves. The wave energy converter uses different solutions to ingest energy from waves. It is used depending on the water depth and the location.
- A wave energy converter has three parts: oscillating water columns, which utilize air pockets trapped in a water column to drive the turbine; oscillating body converters, which are submerged or floating devices that use the wave motion to produce electricity; and overtopping converters, which use a reservoir to create a head and drive turbines subsequently
- Advantages of wave energy converters include their reliability and simple nature, as these systems have no moving parts
Key Drivers of Global Wave Energy Converter Market
- The wave energy converter market has high potential in several countries across the globe, owing to the lower environmental impact of these converters compared to other renewable energy technologies including its limited impact on the shoreline. New government policies and rise in investments by government bodies to promote the wave energy converter technology for rapid commercialization of energy converter devices are anticipated to boost the global market during the forecast period.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF sample of this report
- On November 12, 2019, NEMOS started testing its 2019 Wave Energy Converter (WEC) prototype in Ostend, Belgium. A series of handling and installation tests are being carried out at present. The wave energy converter was set up at the coast of Ostend in October 2019.
North America to Hold a Major Share of Global Wave Energy Converter Market
- Based on region, the global wave energy converter market can be segmented into: North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America is anticipated to dominate the global wave energy converter market from 2019 to 2027, as the region is rich in coastal waters as well as rivers and it has high potential for marine and hydro power. According to the U.S. Department of Energy (DoE), water and wave power resources across the U.S. are projected to account for 13% and 15% share of the country’s electricity generation, respectively, by 2030. The major areas identified are Hawaii and Alaska.
- Asia Pacific is anticipated to account for a considerable share of the global wave energy converter market during the forecast period. Countries in the region have high potential of tidal currents. In South Korea, southern and western coasts are known for strong tidal currents and high tides, which is likely to boost the wave energy converter market in the country in the next few years.
- China also has high potential with a long coastline and large islands. The country is investing significantly in renewable energy generation. The country is currently working on a project called Blue Energy, a 120-kilometer bridge generating tidal energy.
- The market in Europe is estimated to expand at a significant pace during the forecast period. The U.K. is taking steps toward utilization of tidal and wave energy.
- The wave energy converter market in Latin America and Middle East & Africa is likely to expand at a sluggish pace during the forecast period
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
Key Players Operating in Global Wave Energy Converter Market:
Top companies operating in the global wave energy converter market are:
- Sea Wave Energy Limited
- Wave Star A/S
- The LEANCON Wave Energy Device
- NEMOS GmbH
- Oscilla Power, Inc.
- Wello Oy
- CorPower Ocean AB.
- Ocean Power Technologies, Inc.
- AOE Accumulated Ocean Energy Inc.
- Wave Dragon
- Ocean Wave Energy Company
Global Wave Energy Converter Market: Research Scope
Global Wave Energy Converter Market, by Technology
- Attenuator Technology
- Oscillating Water Column (OWC) Technology
- Oscillating Wave Surge Converters (OWSCs)
- Overtopping Devices
Global Wave Energy Converter Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.