Water Dispersible Polymers: Introduction
- Water dispersible polymers can form networks between themselves and water molecules when submerged in water. This causes the solution to thicken. This property enables the formulation of different solutions that are employed in various applications in end-user industries. Key applications include adhesives, emulsifiers in skin care products, admixture for concrete and mortar, and thickeners in paint & coating formulations.
- Some polymers are more readily dispersible in water compared to others. Usually, water dispersible polymers are used while generating a water vortex when dispersed into water. It is essential that all the particles of these polymers are completely dispersed at the time of the contact with water. If the particles are not appropriately dispersed before mixing them with water, they can form aggregates, which can create issues in final formulation of a product. Sometimes, polymers are pre-dispersed into small quantity of glycerin before their dispersion into a mixture of water for ease of formulations in applications such as styling aids and serums in the personal care & cosmetics industry.
- Water dispersible polymers build viscosity, provide stability, and enhance the feel of emulsions in final applications. Water dispersible polymers are easier to disperse into melted or hot oil phase during their application in emulsions. The particles are separated when dispersed into oil and are coated with oil. When both the phases of the emulsions (water phase and oil phase) are mixed together, the process of emulsion formation begins, as polymers start their migration from the oil phase to the water phase.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Water Dispersible Polymers Market
- The water dispersible polymers market has been expanding significantly of late
- The recent discovery of shale gas in the U.S. has led to an increase in shale gas drilling activities. This is expected to drive the demand for water soluble polymers in the oil & gas industry.
- Fluctuation in raw material prices and harmful impact on health and environment are also expected to restrain the market in the near future
Water Dispersible Polymers: End-use Segment
- In terms of end-use, the global water dispersible polymers market can be segmented into building & construction, adhesives, personal care & cosmetics, oil & gas, paints & coatings, and others
- The usage of water dispersible polymers as aqueous thickeners is common in paint formulations, organic solvents, and cements & mortar mixtures. These polymers enhance the workability of these mixtures.
- Water dispersible polymers act as multifunctional ingredients in skin care applications such as sunscreen creams and lotions, hair gel & sprays, color makeup, hair conditioners, shampoos, and cold creams. These polymers act as pigment dispersants, emulsifiers, and thickeners in the formation of films. Many polymers utilized in skin care applications possess excellent water resistance along with high compatibility with metal oxides such as zinc oxide or titanium dioxide. These polymers can be dispersed into water with or without the assistance of surfactants or other additives.
- Water dispersible polymers used for adhesive applications typically do not require any added treatment. They are thermally stable materials, which can be used as hot melt adhesives. They can either be dispersed in water or utilized as re-dissolvable waterborne adhesives (after their initial dispersion in water). Compatibility with tackifiers and plasticizers used in adhesive compounding is required to produce water dispersible hot melt adhesives.
Covid-19 Impact on Water Dispersible Polymers Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 213 countries and territories around the world.
- Manufacture of various consumer goods and other products across the globe has come to a halt due to the unavailability of raw materials, shortage of labor, etc. This is expected to hamper the global water dispersible polymers market.
Asia Pacific to Dominate Water Dispersible Polymers Market
- In terms of region, the global water dispersible polymers market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific dominated the water dispersible polymers market in 2020. This trend is anticipated to continue during the forecast period due to to the higher production and consumption of water dispersible polymers, especially in China and India. The water dispersible polymers market in North America also accounted for key share of the market in 2020. This trend is projected to continue during the forecast period.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Water Dispersible Polymers Market
The global water dispersible polymers market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Many companies offer their products under various trademarks and brands. For instance, Eastman provides AQ polymers especially for adhesives and personal care & cosmetics applications. Wacker Chem AG offers products under the trademark VINNAPAS. These products are offered under various groups such as N-class, E-class, H-class, T-class, and L-class. Ashland’s Antaron (Ganex) polymer is used for skin care applications such as sunscreen emulsions and color cosmetics.
Key manufacturers operating in the global water dispersible polymers market include:
- Wacker Chemie AG
- BASF SE
- Akzo Nobel N.V.
- Arkema Group
- CP Kelco
- Ashland Inc,
- Kemira Oyj
Global Water Dispersible Polymers Market: Research Scope
Global Water Dispersible Polymers Market, by End-use
- Building & Construction
- Personal Care & Cosmetics
- Oil & Gas
- Paints & Coatings
Global Water Dispersible Polymers Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa