Water & Wastewater Treatment: Introduction
- Water & wastewater treatment recuperates wastewater from variety of sources. It then treats it and utilizes it for beneficial water reclamation purposes such as urban (irrigation of public parks, street cleaning, toilet flushing, vehicle washing, etc.), agricultural, industrial (dust control, recirculating cooling water, etc.), recreational, environmental (aquifer recharge), and potable (aquifer recharge for drinking water use).
- Increase in water scarcity and rise in governmental regulations regarding wastewater disposal to mitigate ill-effects of water pollution are expected to propel the water & wastewater treatment equipment market in the near future
- Water & wastewater treatment offers various benefits. It reduces the rate of over-abstraction of surfaces & ground water and increases water availability for non-potable purposes.
- Treated water can be reused for non-drinking purposes. Thus, it eliminates the use of drinking water for non-potable purposes and preserves the sources of drinking water. Water and wastewater treatment also enhances the protection of environment by restoration of steams, wetlands, and ponds.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Water & Wastewater Treatment Equipment Market
- Water recycling process has proved to be an effective and an efficient source for creating a water supply without compromising on the public health. Water reuse is accepted all across the globe. It is expected to rise at a significant rate in the near future. The usage of recycled water is increasing in many parts of the U.S. in order to meet the needs of the environment. With advancements in water recycling technology, wastewater treatment process would soon become an important aspect of human life. Recycling of gray and wastewater requires less amount of energy than treating salt water through the desalination process. Thus, advancement in treatment processes of wastewater is projected to fuel the water & wastewater treatment equipment market in the near future.
- Stringent regulations regarding water quality standards, significant investment in infrastructure for storing wastewater and distribution of treated water, high cost associated with water quality monitoring & identification of contaminants are likely to be barriers of the water & wastewater treatment equipment market
COVID-19 Impact Analysis on Industrial Sector
- Governments of several countries across the globe have imposed stringent lockdowns to limit the spread of the coronavirus. Movement of individuals and economic activities, related to goods and services, has come to a halt because of lockdowns. Treated water is used in a wide range of applications for industrials purposes such as dust control and ventilation. Temporary closure of industries due to the COVID-19 pandemic has led to decline in utilization of recycled water. This is hampering the global water & wastewater treatment equipment market.
Water & Wastewater Treatment Equipment Market Segmentation
- The global water & wastewater treatment equipment market can be segmented based on equipment, process, and end-use
- In terms of equipment, the global water & wastewater treatment equipment market can be segregated into ultrafiltration systems, vacuum evaporation & distillation, reverse osmosis system, paper bed filters, solid bowl centrifuges, tramp oil separators, vacuum filters, and others
- In terms of process, the global water & wastewater treatment equipment market can be divided into chemical process, physical process, physio-chemical process, biological process, boiler water treatment, cooling water treatment, and others. The chemical process segment can be subdivided into pre-chlorination, aeration, and disinfection. The physical process segment can be sub-segmented into sedimentation, filtration, and dissolved air flotation. The physio-chemical process consists of flocculation. The biological process consists of slow sand filtration.
- In terms of end-use, the global water & wastewater treatment equipment market can be classified into municipal and industrial. The industrial segment can be further divided into pulp & paper, textile, chemical, paints & coatings, and others. Low water quality standard required for industrial processes is expected to boost the industrial segment during the forecast period.
Water & Wastewater Treatment Equipment Market: Regional Segmentation
- In terms of region, the global water & wastewater treatment equipment market can be split into Middle East & Africa, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe, and North America
- The U.S. is expected to dominate the water & wastewater treatment equipment market in North America during the forecast period. According to Clean Water Act (CWA) of 1972, the municipal corporation, industries, or any other facilities cannot discharge any untreated waste directly into navigable waters in the U.S. without a permit. The permit ensures continuous scrutiny of waste discharged into the water and provides necessary plan of action about treatment of waste discharged if required. The U.S. Government provides grants for building sewage treatment plants, wherein the wastewater undergoes primary & secondary treatment to meet the required water standards. Thus, strict rules imposed by the government is anticipated to boost the demand for water & wastewater treatment equipment in the country.
Key Players Operating in Global Market
- Dow Inc.
- General Electric
- Pentair Plc.
- Veolia Environment SA
- Xylem Inc.
- Suez Environment SA
- Ecolab Inc
- Evoqua Water Technologies
- Aquatech International
- Calgon Carbon Corporation
Global Water & Wastewater Treatment Equipment Market: Research Scope
Global Water & Wastewater Treatment Equipment Market, by Equipment
- Ultrafiltration Systems
- Vacuum Evaporation & Distillation
- Reverse Osmosis System
- Paper Bed Filters
- Solid Bowl Centrifuges
- Tramp Oil Separators
- Vacuum Filters
Global Water & Wastewater Treatment Equipment Market, by Process
- Chemical Process
- Physical Process
- Dissolved Air Flotation
- Physio-chemical Process
- Biological Process
- Boiler Water Treatment
- Cooling Water Treatment
Global Water & Wastewater Treatment Equipment Market, by End-use
- Pulp & Paper
- Paints & Coatings
Global Water & Wastewater Treatment Equipment Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!