Volatile Fatty Acids: Introduction
- Volatile fatty acids (VFAs) are linear short-chain aliphatic mono-carboxylate compounds, such as acetic acid, propionic acid, and butyric acid.
- Volatile fatty acids are the building blocks of different organic compounds; VFAs have two (acetic acid) to six (caproic acid) carbon atoms. Acetic acid may have different origins, e.g., from the catabolism of lactose, citrate, amino acids, or the propionic fermentation. Propionic acid is one of the end products of lactose or lactate fermentation by propionibacteria. Butyric acid can originate from the catabolism of triglycerides, but also from lactate fermentation by clostridia.
- VFAs are extremely useful in the chemical industry due to their functional groups. They also can be exploited as a raw material in various biological practices for the production of biopolymers, such as polyhydroxyalkanoates and biofuels, such as methane and hydrogen, which are of high value.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Volatile Fatty Acids Market
- Volatile fatty acids can be produced by using organic wastes as substrate, therefore directly contributing to a sustainable economy
- Significant steps are being taken around the globe to move the current fossil-based economy to a more sustainable bio-based economy. The purpose to shift to a bio-based economy is to develop an environmentally, economically, and socially sustainable global economy. Global issue of climate change and the need to reduce atmospheric greenhouse gases (GHG) emissions is one of the major reasons for adopting the bio-based economy.
- VFAs are extensively utilized as chemical building-blocks as well as substrates for bioplastics production or as biofuels. VFAs are one of the bioproducts that could be produced from biomass, replacing conventional production based on crude oil refining.
- Thus, rise in environmental concerns and emergence of bio-based fuels is anticipated to propel the global volatile fatty acids
- Volatile fatty acids provide an energy source for various animals & herbivorous species, such as rabbits, which utilize bacterial fermentation as part of the digestive process. VOCs leave no digestive enzymes for breaking down of cellulose or any complex carbohydrates. VFAs are highly important elements required by the animal body to control the process of anaerobic digestion. Thus, rising animal concern is likely to drive the volatile fatty acids market.
- Low awareness about the benefits of volatile fatty acids is a major factor that is expected to hinder the market
Volatile Fatty Acids: Method of Analysis Segment
- In terms of product, the global volatile fatty acids market can be divided into distillation, titration, chromatography, colorimetry, conductimetry, and others
- Based on method of analysis, the chromatography segment of the volatile fatty acids market is projected to hold a major market share during the forecast period. Furthermore, the animal feed end-use segment is expected to hold a major share of the global volatile fatty acids market
COVID-19 Impact on Volatile Fatty Acids Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 214 countries and territories around the world.
- Several governments and private sector businesses are operating at a limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic
- Manufacturing of various consumer goods and other products across the globe came to a halt due to the unavailability of raw materials, shortage of labor, and other reasons. This is expected to hamper the volatile fatty acids market.
Europe to hold a leading share of Volatile Fatty Acids Market
- In terms of region, the volatile fatty acids market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Europe is expected to hold a major share of the global volatile fatty acids market, followed by North America and Asia Pacific, during the forecast period. Presence of established companies of volatile fatty acid market is likely to drive the volatile fatty acid market in the region during the forecast period. Increasing awareness about benefits of volatile fatty acid and concerns regarding animal health are expected to drive the market in North America and Asia Pacific.
- The volatile fatty acids market in Latin America and Middle East & Africa is projected to expand at a moderate pace in the near future. These are imported in countries such as Brazil, Mexico, and South Africa, due to limited presence of manufacturing companies in these countries.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Volatile Fatty Acids Market
The volatile fatty acids market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the volatile fatty acids market include:
- AppliTek NV
- Hach Company Inc.
- Merck KGaA
- Eastman Chemical Company
Volatile Fatty Acids Market: Research Scope
Volatile Fatty Acids Market, by Method of Analysis
Volatile Fatty Acids Market, by Application
- Food & Beverage
- Animal Feed
- Dietary Supplement
Global Volatile Fatty Acids Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!