Variable Data Printing: Introduction
- Variable data printing, also called variable imaging (VI) or variable information printing (VIP), is a form of digital printing as well as on-demand printing in which components such as graphics, images, and texts can be transformed from one printed piece to other. Variable data printing is a method or technique that uses software to change the output of a digital printing with unique information from a database or spreadsheet.
- Variable data printing is used to customize direct mailing on a massive scale. Therefore, variable data printing is a really useful tool for organizations to cater to the needs of customers through individually tailored direct mail. Moreover, variable data printing utilizes the information from the computer database in order to create personalized material by using the offset printing process.
Global Variable Data Printing Market: Dynamics
Global Variable Data Printing Market: Key Drivers
- Increase in rate of adoption of interactive label & tag printers for enhanced printing quality and durability of prints is fueling the demand for variable data printing
- Rise in rate of adoption of variable data printing among healthcare and food & beverage sectors is projected to further boost the demand for variable data printing across the globe
- Growing trend of printing product labels is expected to boost the variable data printing market
- Rising demand for printing of barcodes/QR code labels across various industries is expected to create new opportunities for the variable data printing market during the forecast period
Global Variable Data Printing Market: Restraints
- High costs of printing systems is a major factor that is expected to restrain the global variable data printing market in the next few years
- Lack of investment in research & development on variable data printing is also anticipated to hamper the market during the forecast period
Impact of COVID-19 on the Global Variable Data Printing Market
The COVID-19 outbreak has been a major challenge for the post-pandemic business environment. Governments of different countries across the world have imposed lockdowns to curb the spread of the disease. Hence, companies are adopting variable data printing solutions and software to boost e-commerce during the pandemic outbreak in order to track and trace digital printing applications. Variable data printing is being extensively used by industries such as food & beverage, healthcare, pharmaceutical across both developed and developing countries during the pandemic outbreak in order to enhance their productivity and efficiency by using variable data printing for their labels and packaging. This, in turn, is estimated to propel the variable data printing market during COVID-19 outbreak. During the COVID-19 outbreak, the need for QR codes, brand protection, printing barcodes, sequential numbers for serialization, and anti-counterfeiting is more essential and critical than ever before.
North America to Hold Major Share of Global Variable Data Printing Market
- In terms of region, the global variable data printing market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East & Africa, and South America
- North America dominated the global variable data printing market in 2020. The U.S. is a key market in the region due to a rise in the rate of adoption of variable data printing for generating customized product information and serialized number printing at low cost and in less time. Additionally, presence of well-established players that are offering variable data printing is expected to further boost the variable data printing market in North America.
- The variable data printing market in Asia Pacific is projected to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period. This can be attributed to a rise in adoption of variable data printing across China, Japan, Singapore, Australia, and India due to growing trend of barcode scanning for generation of invoices across various industries such as food & beverages, and pharmaceutical.
Global Variable Data Printing Market: Competition Landscape
Several local, regional, and global players are active in the variable data printing market with a strong presence. Rapid technological advancements have created significant opportunities in the global variable data printing market. Market players are increasingly focusing on collaboration, mergers, and acquisition activities with technology partners to develop innovative and advanced solutions in order to improve their offerings and market reach.
Key players operating in the global variable data printing market include:
- Avery Dennison Corporation
- Canon, Inc.
- Cenveo, Inc.
- Esko-Graphics BV
- FusionPro Creator
- HP Inc.
- Mondi PLC
- Quad/Graphics, Inc.
- RR Donnelley & Sons Company
- Ws Packaging Group, Inc.
- Xerox Corporation
- Anheuser Busch Inbev SA
- Sony Corporation
- R.R. Donnelley & Sons Company
Global Variable Data Printing Market: Research Scope
Global Variable Data Printing Market, by Component
- Variable Data Printing (VDP) Machine
- Variable Data Printing (VDP) Software
- Personalized Printing Services
- Support Services
Global Variable Data Printing Market, by Application
- Barcodes/QR Code Labels Printing
- Advertising Stickers Printing
- Plastics Cards/PVC Printing
- Product Labels Printing
Global Variable Data Printing Market, by Printing Technology
- Thermal transfer
- Direct thermal
Global Variable Data Printing Market, by End-user
- Food & beverage
- Consumer durable
- Home & personal
- Retail sector
- Others (industrial lubricants and paints)
Global Variable Data Printing Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
- South America
- Rest of South America
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.