UV-Curable Inkjet Ink: Introduction & Significance
Printing Ink play a key role in brand advertisement. UV-curable inkjet ink is cured instantly when irradiated. UV-curable inkjet ink therefore, is widely used in cases where the substrate involved is difficult to penetrate for a liquid. A large number of brands use UV-curable inkjet ink to print detailed information on hoardings in public places. UV-curable inkjet inks are also used for printing advertisements on mobile platforms such as a public transport vehicle. Conusmer engagement has emerged as one of the most critical objectives in marketing, creating an absolute need for high quality printed information on printed hoarding, which are aimed at increasing consumer appeal for the product, as well as increasing consumer awareness regarding the brand and its offerings. Therefore, the significance of UV-curable inkjet ink is expected to remain high during the forecast period, albeit a few hurdles to the growth of the global UV-curable inkjet ink market.
Conventional offset printing
UV inks dry through a photomechanical process, and therefore, do not release any VOCs in the air
Mostly use solvent inks. Since solvent inks evaporate into air, and release Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) into the air, they are not much of a green option.
UV inks turn from liquid to solid state on exposure to ultra-violet lights, thereby reducing any chances of evaporation or absorption by the substrate. Therefore, UV inks can be used on any substrate
Conventional inks have to be absorbed by the substrate, and therefore, they cannot be used on substrates such as plastic, foil, or acrylics
A robust methodology has been used to estimate the market size for UV-curable inkjet inks
The collected numbers are primarily obtained from key UV-curable inkjet ink manufacturers in the world, their product offerings, sales revenues in each market verticals. Sales revenue from UV-curable inkjet inks was estimated after comprehensive product mapping. Various market and industry experts, which includes sales and marketing heads of UV-curable inkjet ink manufacturers, independent consultants, and distributors, were contacted to validate the penetration of UV-curable inkjet ink in the total printing market.
The overall end use market size was determined, and the penetration of UV-curable inkjet ink was determined in each of the end uses. The total value and demand for UV-curable inkjet ink was mapped in each end use industry, across the world.
This approach is followed for the global market, and bottom-up analysis was used to arrive at the market size of UV-curable inkjet ink, in terms of consumption and revenue.
Global UV-Curable Inkjet Ink market: Segmentation
The global UV-Curable Inkjet Ink market has been segmented as follows –
On the basis of product type, the global UV-Curable Inkjet Ink market has been segmented as follows –
On the basis of substrate, the global UV-Curable Inkjet Ink market has been segmented as follows –
Global UV-Curable Inkjet Ink market: Key Players
Some of the key players operating in the global UV-curable inkjet ink market are –
- FUJIFILM Dimatix, Inc.
- Konica Minolta
- Ruco USA
- MHM Holding GmbH
Key developments & Trends
UV-curable inks were conventionally used for food contact applications, especially in case of analog printing technologies. However, inkjet printers have limitations due to viscosity, therefore, UV-curable inkjet inks need to have reduced viscosity. The market is subject to growth by virtue of the amount of research & development that is done on UV-curable inkjet inks, to enhance formulation and efficiency.
- For instance, Ricoh developed a new UV-curable inkjet ink, which is able to significantly bring a reduction in skin sensitization, which causes allergic dermatitis, including irritation and itching.
- The features which are expected to give this new UV-curable inkjet ink an edge over its counterparts include – total elimination of the use of any skin sensitizing materials in the ink, more use of inexpensive raw materials with the help of radical polymerization technique, and improved adhesion on substrates.
The road ahead
Digital printing has been establishing itself as one of the fast emerging markets in the packaging industry. The global push for the use of products and chemicals with environmental benefits has compelled many key players in the market to adopt UV curing technology in their inkjet inks. According to experts, UV-based inkjets are expected to continue to grow and replace conventional solvent systems, owing to several advantages such as elimination of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs), faster drying, improved finishing, and lower cost. Therefore, rapid advances in inkjet technology is expected to contrinue to drive the market, pushing the limits of how print is produced. UV-curable inkjet inks are expected to find a wide range of applications during the forecast period. It is anticipated that lower-odor and low-migration UV-curable inkjet inks will witness an increase in penetration in the packaging market for food applications.
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.