Increase in Incidence of Spinal Stenosis to Drive Global Market
- Unicompartmental knee replacement (UKR) is the most preferred surgical option for knee arthritis when only one compartment of the knee is involved. Around 5% of surgeries are unicompartmental knee replacements where knee arthroplasty is indicated.
- Unicompartmental knee replacement is an active end-stage, unicompartmental symptomatic knee arthritis procedure. However, several aspects of the process are still being studied. These include requirements for patient choice, implant design, and disparity between national registries and individual case series in survival rates. These are expected to restrict the adoption of unicompartmental knee replacements.
Get an Idea about the Offerings of Our Unicompartmental Knee Prostheses Market Report from this Brochure
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Unicompartmental Knee Prostheses Market
Rise in Geriatric Population
- Increase in geriatric population is one of the key drivers of the global market. As per the United Nations, by 2050, the geriatric population will account for more than 25% of the total population in Europe and North America each, 20% of Oceania, 17% of Asia, Latin America, and the Caribbean each, and 6% of Africa.
- Japan has the highest number of geriatric population, with 33% of the population aged 60 years or above in 2015. The percentage is expected to reach 38% by 2050. In Italy, Germany, and Finland, people aged 60 years or above account for 29%, 28%, and 27% of the total population, respectively.
- According to the United Nations statistics, there were 125 million people aged 80 years or above in 2015. This number is expected to rise to 202 million and 434 million by 2030 and 2050, respectively.
- According to the U.S. Department of Health & Human Product, there will be approximately 72.1 million elderly people in the U.S. by 2030, which is more than twice the number in 2000
- Increase in specialty care services, such as specialty and super-specialty hospitals, and advanced treatment options are boosting the life expectancy rate worldwide, thus leading to an increase in the geriatric population
- Rise in geriatric population leads to increase in demand for care, services, and technologies to prevent and treat non-communicable diseases and chronic conditions associated with old age. Thus, rise in geriatric population globally is anticipated to drive the unicompartmental knee prostheses market.
Minimally Invasive Surgeries to hold Major Share of Global Market
- Based on technique, the global unicompartmental knee prostheses market can be categorized into traditional surgery, minimally invasive surgery (MIS), and computer-assisted surgery (CAS)
- During a traditional surgery, a single long incision (10 to 12 inch) is made to view and access the knee and other joints for which the surgery is to be performed. This helps the surgeon to achieve proper fit and alignment of the implant, thereby minimizing the risk of post-surgical complications to the patient. Most surgeons prefer traditional approach to minimally invasive surgery (MIS), as it has shown positive outcomes and high success rate. Long hospital stay, slow recovery, and damage to surrounding tissues of knee are various drawbacks of traditional surgery.
- Minimally invasive surgery (MIS) is an alternative to traditional surgery, wherein a small incision (3 to 6 inch) is made instead of a long incision. Short hospital stay, less post-operative pain, and fast rehabilitation are some of the advantages of MIS over the traditional surgery. However, MIS is not suitable for all patients, as factors such as age, health, and patient readiness must be considered before surgery is performed.
- Computer-assisted Surgery (CAS) is the newest approach to joint replacement. Computer helps surgeon analyze the joint to be replaced through visual mapping. This enables the surgeon to make crucial decisions before and during the surgery. The technique helps to accurately align the bone and implants.
Mobile Bearing Implants Product Segment to Dominate Global Market
- In terms of product, the global unicompartmental knee prostheses market can be segmented into fixed bearing implants, mobile bearing implants, medial pivot implants, and others
- On the basis of material, the global unicompartmental knee prostheses market can be segregated into stainless steel, cobalt-chromium alloys, titanium alloys, polyethylene, ceramics, and others (uncemented implants, tantalum, etc.)
- Cobalt-chromium alloys material segment is expected to dominate the global unicompartmental knee prostheses market between 2019 and 2027
Expanding Operations in Future? To Get the Perfect Launch Ask for a Custom Unicompartmental Knee Prostheses Market Report
North America to Lead Global Unicompartmental Knee Prostheses Market
- In terms of region, the global unicompartmental knee prostheses market can be classified into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America dominated the global unicompartmental knee prostheses market due to factors such as increasing prevalence and incidence rate of orthopedic disorders and knee preplacement procedures, and availability of technologically advanced, safe, and cost-effective knee prostheses
- Unicompartmental knee prostheses market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to grow at fast rate during the forecast period, owing to increasing health care expenditure in developing nations, such as India and China, following rise in government funding, high income levels, increasing patient population, and growing awareness about technologically advanced knee replacement procedures and techniques
- Factors that may restrain the expansion of the unicompartmental knee prostheses market in Asia Pacific include lack of awareness among patients and dearth of well-trained health care professionals with knowledge in unicompartmental knee prostheses and knee disorders
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Market
The global unicompartmental knee prostheses market was highly fragmented in 2018. Key players operating in the global unicompartmental knee prostheses market are:
- B. Braun Melsungen AG
- Arthrex, Inc.
- DePuy Synthes ( A Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc. Company)
- DJO LLC
- Exactech, Inc.
- Zimmer Biomet
- Smith & Nephew.
Global Unicompartmental Knee Prostheses Market: Research Scope
Global Unicompartmental Knee Prostheses Market, by Technique
- Traditional Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Surgery (MIS)
- Computer-assisted Surgery (CAS)
Global Unicompartmental Knee Prostheses Market, by Product
- Fixed Bearing Implants
- Mobile Bearing Implants
- Medial Pivot Implants
Global Unicompartmental Knee Prostheses Market, by Material
- Stainless Steel
- Cobalt-chromium Alloys
- Titanium Alloys
- Other (Uncemented Implants, Tantalum, Etc.)
Global Unicompartmental Knee Prostheses Market, by End-user
- Ambulatory Surgery Centers
- Orthopedic Clinics
Global Unicompartmental Knee Prostheses Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.