Increase in Incidence of Spinal Stenosis to Drive Global Market
- Unicompartmental knee replacement (UKR) is the most preferred surgical option for knee arthritis when only one compartment of the knee is involved. Around 5% of surgeries are unicompartmental knee replacements where knee arthroplasty is indicated.
- Unicompartmental knee replacement is an active end-stage, unicompartmental symptomatic knee arthritis procedure. However, several aspects of the process are still being studied. These include requirements for patient choice, implant design, and disparity between national registries and individual case series in survival rates. These are expected to restrict the adoption of unicompartmental knee replacements.
Get an Idea about the Offerings of Our Unicompartmental Knee Prostheses Market Report from this Brochure
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Unicompartmental Knee Prostheses Market
Rise in Geriatric Population
- Increase in geriatric population is one of the key drivers of the global market. As per the United Nations, by 2050, the geriatric population will account for more than 25% of the total population in Europe and North America each, 20% of Oceania, 17% of Asia, Latin America, and the Caribbean each, and 6% of Africa.
- Japan has the highest number of geriatric population, with 33% of the population aged 60 years or above in 2015. The percentage is expected to reach 38% by 2050. In Italy, Germany, and Finland, people aged 60 years or above account for 29%, 28%, and 27% of the total population, respectively.
- According to the United Nations statistics, there were 125 million people aged 80 years or above in 2015. This number is expected to rise to 202 million and 434 million by 2030 and 2050, respectively.
- According to the U.S. Department of Health & Human Product, there will be approximately 72.1 million elderly people in the U.S. by 2030, which is more than twice the number in 2000
- Increase in specialty care services, such as specialty and super-specialty hospitals, and advanced treatment options are boosting the life expectancy rate worldwide, thus leading to an increase in the geriatric population
- Rise in geriatric population leads to increase in demand for care, services, and technologies to prevent and treat non-communicable diseases and chronic conditions associated with old age. Thus, rise in geriatric population globally is anticipated to drive the unicompartmental knee prostheses market.
Minimally Invasive Surgeries to hold Major Share of Global Market
- Based on technique, the global unicompartmental knee prostheses market can be categorized into traditional surgery, minimally invasive surgery (MIS), and computer-assisted surgery (CAS)
- During a traditional surgery, a single long incision (10 to 12 inch) is made to view and access the knee and other joints for which the surgery is to be performed. This helps the surgeon to achieve proper fit and alignment of the implant, thereby minimizing the risk of post-surgical complications to the patient. Most surgeons prefer traditional approach to minimally invasive surgery (MIS), as it has shown positive outcomes and high success rate. Long hospital stay, slow recovery, and damage to surrounding tissues of knee are various drawbacks of traditional surgery.
- Minimally invasive surgery (MIS) is an alternative to traditional surgery, wherein a small incision (3 to 6 inch) is made instead of a long incision. Short hospital stay, less post-operative pain, and fast rehabilitation are some of the advantages of MIS over the traditional surgery. However, MIS is not suitable for all patients, as factors such as age, health, and patient readiness must be considered before surgery is performed.
- Computer-assisted Surgery (CAS) is the newest approach to joint replacement. Computer helps surgeon analyze the joint to be replaced through visual mapping. This enables the surgeon to make crucial decisions before and during the surgery. The technique helps to accurately align the bone and implants.
Mobile Bearing Implants Product Segment to Dominate Global Market
- In terms of product, the global unicompartmental knee prostheses market can be segmented into fixed bearing implants, mobile bearing implants, medial pivot implants, and others
- On the basis of material, the global unicompartmental knee prostheses market can be segregated into stainless steel, cobalt-chromium alloys, titanium alloys, polyethylene, ceramics, and others (uncemented implants, tantalum, etc.)
- Cobalt-chromium alloys material segment is expected to dominate the global unicompartmental knee prostheses market between 2019 and 2027
Expanding Operations in Future? To Get the Perfect Launch Ask for a Custom Unicompartmental Knee Prostheses Market Report
North America to Lead Global Unicompartmental Knee Prostheses Market
- In terms of region, the global unicompartmental knee prostheses market can be classified into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America dominated the global unicompartmental knee prostheses market due to factors such as increasing prevalence and incidence rate of orthopedic disorders and knee preplacement procedures, and availability of technologically advanced, safe, and cost-effective knee prostheses
- Unicompartmental knee prostheses market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to grow at fast rate during the forecast period, owing to increasing health care expenditure in developing nations, such as India and China, following rise in government funding, high income levels, increasing patient population, and growing awareness about technologically advanced knee replacement procedures and techniques
- Factors that may restrain the expansion of the unicompartmental knee prostheses market in Asia Pacific include lack of awareness among patients and dearth of well-trained health care professionals with knowledge in unicompartmental knee prostheses and knee disorders
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Market
The global unicompartmental knee prostheses market was highly fragmented in 2018. Key players operating in the global unicompartmental knee prostheses market are:
- B. Braun Melsungen AG
- Arthrex, Inc.
- DePuy Synthes ( A Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc. Company)
- DJO LLC
- Exactech, Inc.
- Zimmer Biomet
- Smith & Nephew.
Global Unicompartmental Knee Prostheses Market: Research Scope
Global Unicompartmental Knee Prostheses Market, by Technique
- Traditional Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Surgery (MIS)
- Computer-assisted Surgery (CAS)
Global Unicompartmental Knee Prostheses Market, by Product
- Fixed Bearing Implants
- Mobile Bearing Implants
- Medial Pivot Implants
Global Unicompartmental Knee Prostheses Market, by Material
- Stainless Steel
- Cobalt-chromium Alloys
- Titanium Alloys
- Other (Uncemented Implants, Tantalum, Etc.)
Global Unicompartmental Knee Prostheses Market, by End-user
- Ambulatory Surgery Centers
- Orthopedic Clinics
Global Unicompartmental Knee Prostheses Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.