Uncoated Recycled Paperboard: Introduction
- Paperboard is the broad name that refers to different qualities or grades of paper-based packaging material. It is generally thicker than writing paper. Grades differ from one another based on what percentage is produced from recycled content, what surface coatings it has, and what color it is.
- Uncoated recycled paperboard, a multiply material, is produced from recovered paper collected from paper manufacturing and converting plants and post-industrial sources. During production, the surface is not coated for printing purposes. However, depending on the end purpose of packaging, a top layer of white recovered fiber can be added or the material can be mass dyed to desired colors.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report
Rise in Building & Construction Activities to Drive Uncoated Recycled Paperboard Market
- Paperboard packaging is made from a renewable resource, i.e. trees that are replanted to ensure a sustainable supply and recovered paper. The U.S. grows more wood than it harvests. Currently, the U.S. has 20% more trees than that in 1970. According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), paper and paperboard packaging accounts for nearly three-quarters of packaging materials recovered for recycling in the U.S. That is more than any other packaging material.
To gauge the scope of customization in our reports, Ask for a Sample
Applications of Uncoated Recycled Paperboard
- Paperboard is used to package various products. The grade of paperboard used depends on the products’ needs and requirements. Uncoated recycled paperboard is used in shoeboxes, composite cans & fiber drums, and coated paperboard.
- Uncoated recycled paperboard is also used in consumer products such as school and office supplies, game boards and boxes, hard-bound book covers, pressurized laminates for flooring and countertops, and household products
- It is also employed in consumer packaging (skin/blister packaging, interior packaging partitions), retail displays (point-of-purchase display cases, set-up boxes) and industrial supplies (fiber drums, air filter frames, thermo coupling testing device rods)
Impact of Covid-19 on Uncoated Recycled Paperboard Market
- The COVID-19 pandemic and the subsequent halt in manufacturing activities is expected to adversely affect the supply of various raw materials. Furthermore, current disruption in trade is anticipated to hamper the availability of various products including uncoated recycled paperboard in import-dependent countries.
- On April 16, 2020, Greif, Inc., a global leader in industrial packaging products and services, announced that it will implement a US$ 50 per ton price increase for all grades of uncoated recycled paperboard effective with shipments beginning May 18, 2020. Increase in the prices is in response to cost pressures in labor, recycled fiber, transportation, and chemicals.
Rise in Prices of Uncoated Recycled Paperboard to Hamper Market
- On April 16, 2020, the U.S.-based packaging firm Sonoco announced plans to implement a US$ 50 per ton price increase for all grades of uncoated recycled paperboard in the U.S. and Canada. The price increase would be implemented as the firm has experienced inflation on input costs that include starch and other papermaking chemicals, labor and fringes, repair costs and repair materials, as well as increase in recycled fiber costs.
- Sonoco made the difficult decision to shutter two paper machines in the U.S. and Canada due to the high operating costs. The cost to maintain these assets exceeded the return earned from operating them. Thus, high operating costs are likely to hamper the global uncoated recycled paperboard market.
North America to Hold Major Share of Global Uncoated Recycled Paperboard Market
- In terms of region, the global uncoated recycled paperboard market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- In terms of value, Asia Pacific dominated the global uncoated recycled paperboard market in 2019. This can be ascribed to growth in the food & beverages sector in developing countries such China and India in the region.
- Europe is anticipated to create immense opportunities for the uncoated recycled paperboard market due to the usage of the uncoated recycled paperboard in various end-uses such as soap and laundry detergent packaging, cookie and cracker packaging, and paper goods packaging (facial tissue and napkins)
- The uncoated recycled paperboard market in Latin America and Middle East & Africa is projected to expand at a sluggish pace during the forecast period
Key Players Operating in Global Market
- The global uncoated recycled paperboard market is fragmented, with market players focusing on incorporating advanced technologies to gain higher share. These players offer a complete portfolio of products and focus on different business strategies to strengthen their position.
Key players operating in the global uncoated recycled paperboard market include:
- Cascades Inc.
- Recycled Paperboard Alliance
- WestRock Company
Global Uncoated Recycled Paperboard Market: Research Scope
Global Uncoated Recycled Paperboard Market, by Application
- Composite Cans & Fiber Drums
- Coated Paperboard
Global Uncoated Recycled Paperboard Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.