- Triethanolamine is an organic chemical compound generally found in transparent colorless to pale amber liquid with mild ammoniacal odor. Triethanolamine is formed by the reaction of ethylene oxide, derived from petroleum industry with ammonia, which is derived from air. Its byproducts are ethanolamine and diethanolamine.
- Triethanolamine belongs to a family of ethanolamine. It is primarily used to adjust pH levels or neutralize acids and emulsify immiscible fluids. In cosmetics and personal care products, triethanolamine is used in a wide range of applications in products such as moisturizers, eyeliners, mascaras, hair care, and sunscreens.
- Based on end-use industry, the triethanolamine market can be segmented into cosmetics, personal care, home care, paints & coatings, metal, textile, and others
Key Drivers of Triethanolamine Market
- Triethanolamine is primarily used as an ingredient in the cosmetics industry. Production and consumption of triethanolamine is highly dependent on the production of cosmetic products. Triethanolamine helps neutralize ingredients that can increase the acidity of a product. High acidity of cosmetic products can cause skin irritation. According to the annual report published by L'Oréal S.A., the global cosmetics market was primarily driven by strong consumption and rise in disposable income of the people in 2019 vis-à-vis that in the previous fiscal year. Additionally, the global cosmetic market expanded at a CAGR of 5.0% in 2019 compared to that in 2018. The cosmetics & personal care industry in Europe is estimated to expand in the near future owing to increase in investment from outside the EU region and rise in R&D activities. This, in turn, is projected to boost the global triethanolamine market.
- Triethanolamine is also used as an emulsifier. Structure of triethanolamine consists of hydrophilic side and hydrophobic side. Hydrophilic triethanolamine binds to water, while hydrophobic triethanolamine binds to oil. In order to avoid a product splitting or having uneven texture, triethanolamine helps mix oil and water-based ingredients together. Rise in applications of triethanolamine as an emulsifier in pharmaceuticals and cosmetics & personal care products is expected to boost the global triethanolamine market in the near future.
- Triethanolamine is a chemical used as cement additive with several functions as grinding aid during the cement comminution process. Rise in population in China and India is driving the demand for homes. This, in turn, is boosting the demand for triethanolamine in these countries.
Major Restraint of Triethanolamine Market
- According to a report published by Cosmetic Ingredient Review Expert Panel, triethanolamine should not be used in cosmetic products in which N-nitroso compounds can be formed. This can lead to carcinogenic nitrosamines. However, some other studies suggest that the ingredient is not dangerous to use at cosmetic levels and is safe when delivered from a standard cosmetic product. There is no strong evidence of issues with long-term exposure. This ambiguity around the usage and effects of triethanolamine on human body is likely to hamper the triethanolamine market.
Covid-19 Impact on Triethanolamine Market
- The COVID-19 pandemic has had a severe impact on cosmetics industry. The cosmetics industry contributes significantly to the global triethanolamine market. However, the global cosmetics industry has been facing supply chain issues due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Several offline stores that provide cosmetic products were shut down in many countries due to lockdowns imposed by governments. Major cosmetic companies such as L'Oréal S.A. and Estée Lauder experienced a decline in its sales in first half of the 2020 as compared to that in the same period of the previous year.
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration imposed a ban on 28 ingredients including triethanolamine for its usage in manufacture of hand-sanitizers due to its carcinogenic properties. However, there is no strong evidence that triethanolamine can lead to skin cancer.
Global Triethanolamine Market: Regional Outlook
- Based on geography, the triethanolamine market in Asia Pacific has been expanding at a rapid pace since the last few years owing to the increase in population in countries such as China and India. Demand for affordable homes has been rising in the countries. Governments of China and India are investing significantly in building homes for the low income class individuals. This rise in construction activities in China and India is boosting the construction industry, thereby driving the demand for triethanolamine as construction material. Furthermore, the market in Asia Pacific is estimated to be strongly supported by the emerging consumption of cosmetic products owing to increase in purchasing power and GDP per capita of countries in the region.
- The market in Middle East & Africa and Latin America is estimated to expand in the next few years, owing to recent economic developments and rise in investments in construction projects in these regions
Key Players Operating in Global Market
Key players operating in the global triethanolamine market include:
- BASF SE
- Hubei Xian Lin Chemical Co., Ltd.
- NIPPON SHOKUBAI CO., LTD
- Fushun Beifang Chemical Co Ltd
- Jiaxing Jinyan Chemical Co., Ltd.
- Jilin Zhongxin Chemical Co., Ltd.
- Wenzhou Qingming Chemical Co., Ltd.
Global Triethanolamine Market: Research Scope
Global Triethanolamine Market, by Purity
- Below 90%
- 90% - 95%
- Above 99%
Global Triethanolamine Market, by End-use Industry
- Personal Care
- Home Care
- Paints & Coatings
Disclaimer: This ongoing market research study is a meticulously planned activity where a broad array of factors and aspects that shape the marketing environment and industry are taken into account. However, keeping in mind the constantly changing nature of business dynamics and changing strategic intents, we are always actively making iterations and modifications in our approaches. As always, we are ready to tailor our insights and guidance to suit your requirements. Engage with us to know what more is there for your CXOs.