Global Tram Systems Market: Introduction
- A tram is a rail vehicle that runs on tramway tracks along public urban streets. The lines or networks operated by tram systems are called tramways.
- The system length of a tram/streetcar or light rail network is the sum of the lengths of all routes in the rail network in kilometers (or miles). Each section of the track is counted only once, regardless of the number of lines passing over it and regardless of whether it is a single track or multi-track, single carriageway or dual carriageway.
- Tram systems are mostly shorter and lighter than the main line and rapid transit trains. Also, a majority of tram systems use electric power that is usually fed by a pantograph sliding on an overhead line.
- Trams are suitable for regeneration of infrastructure and place-making– partly because they encourage development and partly because building them is highly expensive and complicated
- Currently, on-board energy systems are used to run trams, which are equipped with batteries that can be recharged quickly at any station or at the end of the tramway
- Some of the trams also operates with ground-based electric power supply systems, which function via a third rail placed between the two main rails. Electricity is fed to these main rails from boxes under the track.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report
Key Drivers of Global Tram Systems Market
- Increasing concerns about traffic globally due to overpopulation and migration are driving the global tram systems market
- Rail networks and infrastructure facilities in major cities worldwide have witnessed substantial increase over the years. Additionally, increase in investments made by governments of several countries across the globe to develop public transport infrastructure is projected to create immense opportunities for tram manufacturers to expand their geographical presence during the forecast period.
- Tram systems can also offer several environment-related benefits, as they do not release harmful emissions.
- Demand for energy worldwide has led to exploration of new sources of energy. This factor is likely to drive the global tram systems market during the forecast period.
Looking for Regional Analysis or Competitive Landscape , ask for a customized report
Restraints of Global Tram Systems Market
- Tram systems is a cost-intensive means of public transport, as they require establishment of new tracks and redesigning of roads. Moreover, tram vehicles generally cost more than buses. Thus, high costs can be considered a major factor hindering the global tram systems market.
- Moreover, tram systems require segregated road space, which is always at a premium in most cities. Also, trams come with high opportunity costs.
- In January 2020, Deutsche Bahn's hybrid shunting locomotive (i.e. hamburger) traction converter successfully passed the entire cabinet fire resistance test at the Qingyuan fire test laboratory in Guangdong, which met the requirements of the EN 45545 fire protection design. EN 45545 is the most stringent fire protection design standard in the field of rail transit across the world at present.
- In December 2019, China CRRC Corporation Limited announced that the company’s Zhigu facility had started production in the Zhuzhou Rail Transit Innovation and Entrepreneurship Park.
- In May 2019, the Minister for Transport Infrastructure and member of Bendigo East in Australia announced that tramways in the country would undergo expansion worth US$ 11.7 Mn. The project is funded through grants from VicTrack (US$ 7 Mn), Regional Development Victoria (US$ 3.7 Mn) and local contribution (US$ 1 Mn).
Asia Pacific to Offer Growth Opportunities to Tram Systems Market
- Based on region, the global tram systems market can be divided into North America, Asia Pacific, Europe, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is likely to offer immense opportunities to the tram systems market in the near future, primarily due to increase in population and development of public infrastructure in major countries in the region such as China and India. For instance, in China, the Songjiang Tram Network is a light rail transit system undergoing development in the Songjiang District, Shanghai, China.
- In Europe, 265 active tram systems operate. Moreover, Germany has the largest tram network in Europe. France is the country with the third-largest tram networks in the region.
- In the U.K., Greater Manchester received US$ 651 Mn from the European Investment Bank (EIB) to develop its tram system in 2011. The EIB also approved additional funding for the region in 2018 for construction of more railways and stops for the Manchester Metro link.
Key Players Operating in Global Market
Some of the major players operating in the global tram systems market are:
- China CRRC Corporation Limited
- CAF, Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarriles, S.A.
- Skoda Transtech
- SKODA TRANSPORTATION A.S.
Global Tram Systems Market, by Type
- Articulated Tram
- Double-decker Tram
- Rubber-tired Tram
- Restaurant Tram
Global Tram Systems Market, by Fuel Type
- Battery Powered
- Liquid Fuel
- Others (Including Hydrogen and Compressed Air & Gas)
Global Tram Systems Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.