Titanium Dioxide Nanomaterials: Introduction
- Titanium dioxide nanoparticle, also known as ultrafine titanium dioxide or nanocrystalline titanium dioxide or microcrystalline titanium dioxide, is a particle of titanium dioxide (TiO2) with diameter less than 100 nm.. The nanoparticles of titanium dioxide are approx. 100 times finer than the titanium dioxide pigments particles. Titanium dioxide nanoparticles are extensively used as pigments in various applications including sunscreens, ointments, paints, and toothpastes. Constant research and development has led to emergence of many potential applications of titanium dioxide nanomaterials in areas including photovoltaic, photocatalysis, electrochromics, and sensors.
- Research on titanium dioxide nanomaterials gained significant traction with the advent of nanotechnology. The manufacture of titanium dioxide nanomaterials entails a low-cost simple production process. Titanium dioxide nanomaterials are used in various industrial sectors. They are largely employed in skincare applications and cosmetics, paints, photovoltaics, and electrochromics. Furthermore, new physical and chemical properties are known to emerge as the size of the material becomes smaller. This is expected to boost the demand for titanium dioxide nanomaterials in the near future.
- Titanium dioxide is versatile owing to its various forms and sizes. Demand for titanium dioxides that are being used in the form of micro-scale pigments or nano-objects has been rising, owing to their usage in a wide range of applications
- Titanium dioxide nanomaterials are used as additives that are further employed to protect surfaces against bacteria and microbial deterioration and chemical corrosion. They are largely used as white pigments, owing to their strong light scattering and high incident light reflection index. Additionally, silver doped titanium dioxide nanomaterials are extensively employed in marine antifouling, especially while exploring underwater sites, as they prevent metal hull corrosion.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Titanium Dioxide Nanomaterials Market
- Titanium dioxide nanomaterials are widely used white pigment materials in the paints & coatings industry, owing to their UV absorption and photocatalytic sterilizing properties. They are primarily employed in the coatings industry, as they efficiently scatter visible light, thereby imparting whiteness, brightness, and opacity when incorporated into coatings. Titanium dioxide nanomaterial products are sometimes coated with silica and alumina and doped with another metal for specific applications in the coatings industry. Thus, increase in demand for titanium dioxide nanomaterials in the paints & coatings industry is expected to boost the global titanium dioxide nanomaterials market during the forecast period.
- Nanomaterials are primarily used in the cosmetics industry, as they provide enhanced performance and produce esthetically pleasing results, such as smooth skin surface and glowing complexion. Nanoparticles offer potential benefits in the ultrafine form in products such as moisturizers and sunscreen. Thus, high demand for titanium dioxide nanomaterials in the cosmetic & personal care sector is estimated to drive the global titanium dioxide nanomaterials market in the near future. However, these materials are closely associated with complex diseases. They have also been found to be toxic to plants and small organisms. This is estimated to hamper the market. Furthermore, increase in government regulations on the usage of these materials is projected to adversely affect the titanium dioxide nanomaterials market in the near future.
Global Titanium Dioxide Nanomaterials Market: Application Segment
- Based on application, the global titanium dioxide nanomaterials market can be segmented into paints & coatings, cosmetic & personal care, paper & ink, catalysts, and others
- The paints & coatings segment is estimated to expand at a significant pace during the forecast period owing to the rise in building & construction activities and growth in the automotive sector across the globe
Covid-19 Impact on Titanium Dioxide Nanomaterials Market
- COVID-19 has adversely impacted the global economy in three major ways: decrease in production and demand, disruption of supply chain, and adverse financial impact on firms and financial markets
- The COVID-19 pandemic has had a swift and severe negative impact on globally integrated industries such as the paints & coatings and cosmetic & personal care by hampering the supply chain. It is expected to negatively impact manufacturing, distribution, and supply of titanium dioxide nanomaterials in the near future.
Asia Pacific to Dominate Titanium Dioxide Nanomaterials Market
- In terms of region, the global titanium dioxide nanomaterials market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is expected to dominate the global titanium dioxide nanomaterials market during the forecast period, as the building & construction industry in the region, primarily in major economies such as China, India, and other ASEAN countries, has been expanding at a rapid pace
- North America is anticipated to be a key region of the global titanium dioxide nanomaterials market, as demand for cosmetics in the region has been increasing at a rapid pace. Growth in per capita disposable income of the people is also boosting the demand for cosmetics. In turn, this is projected to fuel the titanium dioxide nanomaterials market in North America in the near future.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Titanium Dioxide Nanomaterials Market
The global titanium dioxide nanomaterials market was highly fragmented in 2019. Major players have prominent presence in developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the global titanium dioxide nanomaterials market include:
- ACS Material
- Altair Nanomaterials
- American Elements
- Shanghai Xiaoxiang Chemicals Co
- Sigma Aldrich
- US Research Nanomaterials
- Xuancheng Jinguri New Material
Global Titanium Dioxide Nanomaterials Market: Research Scope
Global Titanium Dioxide Nanomaterials Market, by Type
- Rutile Nanoparticles
- Anatase Nanoparticles
- Combination of Rutile & Anatase Nanoparticles
- Nanowires & Nanotubes
Other Types Global Titanium Dioxide Nanomaterials Market, by Application
- Paints & Coatings
- Cosmetic & Personal Care
- Paper & Ink
Global Titanium Dioxide Nanomaterials Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!