Tight Gas Market: Introduction
- Tight gas is a type of unconventional gas that is trapped in a low-permeability source rock deep underground, such as sandstone or limestone.
- The gas is not freely flowing; methods such as hydraulic fracturing or fracking uses high-pressure water injection to break up the source rock and extract the gas. Most tight gas formations are found onshore, and land seismic techniques are undergoing transformations to better map out where drilling and development of these unconventional plays. Typical land seismic techniques include exploding dynamite and vibrose or measuring vibrations produced by purpose-built trucks.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Tight Gas Market
- Demand for tight gas is expected to increase at a significant rate during the forecast period due to an increase in demand for energy and diminishing reserves of the usual gas
- Stringent policies for safeguarding the atmosphere, together with extended phases of government assessment and issuance of licenses, are key factors that are estimated to restrain the tight gas market during the forecast period
Tight Gas Market: Application Segment
- In terms of application, the global tight gas market can be divided into industrial, power generation, residential, commercial, and transportation
- Among them, the industrial segment is estimated to dominate the market in the next five years. This expansion can be attributed to the utilization of several tight gas value-added outputs required in the industrial sector. For instance, it is used as a feedstock for the manufacturing of fertilizers, chemicals, and various other commodities. This trend has generated several opportunities for tight gas-rich countries to use this abundant resource in order to expand their industrial output in the next few years.
- The residential sector held a significant market share due to the extensive application of tight gas across household requirements. A majority of tight gas is utilized for space heating and water heating in households. Rising use of tight gas in the residential sector has fueled the development of the piped natural gas network in order to supply gas directly to homes.
Covid-19 Impact on Global Tight Gas Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 214 countries and territories around the world.
- Several governments and private sector businesses are operating at a limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic
- The outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic has led to disturbance in the supply chain due to the global lockdown in several countries. Also, the spread of coronavirus caused a fall in demand for chemical intermediates due to uncertainty in the global economy and capital markets.
- Therefore, the number of major chemicals-producing & consuming countries witnessed significant variation in demand for tight gas from end-use applications such as industrial, power generation, residential, commercial, and transportation due to the pandemic
North America to hold a leading share of global tight gas market
- In terms of region, the tight gas market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America is expected to hold a major share of the global tight gas market, followed by Asia Pacific and Europe, during the forecast period
- North America dominates the global tight gas market. It is estimated to maintain its dominance during the forecast period due to the advanced drilling technologies and presence of various tight gas reserves in the region.
- The Federal Government of the U.S. has been promoting investments in the exploration of unconventional gas through public-private partnerships. The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission approved a charge on interstate gas sales to fund gas technology R&D. This has accelerated investment in R&D in the unconventional gas market. Discovery of new natural gas reserves, especially in the U.S., China, Argentina, and Canada, offers significant opportunity for the unconventional gas market.
- Deployment of advanced drilling technologies, along with the presence of several tight gas reserves across the Permian Basin, Anadarko, Niobrara, and Bakken field, is a key factor driving the market across the region
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Tight Gas Market
The tight gas market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the tight gas market include:
- Royal Dutch Shell PLC
- PetroChina Company Limited
- Exxon Mobil Corporation
- Chevron Corporation
- Chesapeake Energy Corporation
- Sinopec Oilfield Service Corporation
- Equinor ASA; Repsol SA
- Southwestern Energy Company
Tight Gas Market: Research Scope
Tight Gas Market, by Type
- Processed Tight Gas
- Unprocessed Tight Gas
Tight Gas Market, by Application
- Power Generation
Global Tight Gas Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This intelligence report by TMR is the outcome of intense study and rigorous assessment of various dynamics shaping the growth of the market. TMR nurtures a close-knit team of analysts, strategists, and industry experts who offer clients tools, methodologies, and frameworks to make smarter decisions. Our objective, insights, and actionable analytics provide CXOs and executives to advance their mission-critical priorities with confidence.
The scrutiny of the various forces impacting the dynamics of the market, and key and associated industries, guides enterprises in understanding various consumer propositions. Our clients leverage these insights and perspectives to enhance customer experience in the fast-paced business environment.
All our insights and perspectives are broadly based on 4 Pillars or Stages: ASBC-S, which offer an elaborate and customizable framework for the success of an organization. The essence and the roles of these in organizational successes are highlighted below:
- Agenda for CXOs: TMR, through the study, sets the tone for agendas that are pertinent to CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and other CXO executives of businesses operating in the market. The perspectives help our clients to bridge the gap between agenda and action plan. TMR strives to offer guidance to CXOs to undertake mission-critical activities empowered by various business analysis tools, and boost the performance of the organizations. The perspectives guide you to decide on your own marketing mix that align well with the policies, visions, and mission.
- Strategic Frameworks: The study offers how organizations are setting both short-term and long-term strategic plans. Our team of experts collaborate and communicate with you to understand these to make your organizations sustainable and resilient during tough times. The insights help them decide sustainable competitive advantage for each business units.
- Benchmarking for Deciding Target Markets and Brand Positioning: The assessments in the study provides a scrutiny of marketing channels and marketing mix. Our various teams work synergistically with you to help identify your actual and potential direct, indirect, and budget competition areas. Additionally, the study helps you decide most effective budgets for various processes and promotional activities. Furthermore, the study guides you to set benchmarks for integrating people and processes with the 4Ps of marketing. Eventually, this will empower you to find out unique propositioning strategies and niches.
- Business Composability for Sustainability (C-S): Constant strategy planning for sustainability characterizing our C-S framework in the report has become more relevant than before in the face of disruptions caused by pandemics, recessions, boom and bust cycles, and changing geopolitical scenario. The TMR study offers a high level of customization to help you achieve business composability. Composable enterprises are increasingly gaining the attention of CXOs in order to help them combat market volatility. Our analysts and industry experts help you wade through such uncertainties and guide you to become a smart sustainable business in entirety.
The study presents scrutiny of region-specific consumer and technology trends, including the most recent industry dynamics. These broadly cover but not limited to
- North America, South America, and the Americas
- Asia Pacific and Japan
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The study offers data-driven insights and guidance of several aspects. Some of the more notable questions are:
- What are the major recent trends that can influence the product life cycle and the RoI?
- Which regulatory trends shape corporate-level, business-level, and functional-level strategies?
- Which micromarketing initiatives of leading players will bring in investments?
- What can be the best framework and tools for PESTLE analysis?
- Which regions will witness rise in new opportunities?
- Which are the game-changing technologies being used to capture new revenue streams in the near future?
- Which operational and tactical frameworks are being adopted by various players in gaining customer loyalty?
- What is the current and expected intensity of competition the market in the near future?
Disclaimer: This market research study is an ongoing effort and extreme care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy at all stages. However, in the light of the rapidly evolving business dynamics, some region-specific or other segment-specific changes may take time to be part of the study.