Thorium Market: Overview
- Thorium (Th) is a radioactive material with atomic number 90. Thorium is found as a single isotopic form (Th-232) that decays slowly. It is three to four times more abundant than uranium and found across the globe.
- Thorium is majorly sourced from Monazite, a rare earth phosphate mineral. Monazite contains around 12% thorium phosphate. It is concentrated in solidified lava and other forms of rocks.
- Thorium is one of the most energy dense element found in nature. The direct use of thorium in a thermal neutron reactor is not possible due to its non-fissile nature. However, after absorption of a neutron, it transmutes to an excellent fissile fuel material, uranium-233.
- It is a safe, clean, scalable, and affordable source to produce nuclear fuel for nuclear reactor. Energy produced from thorium is proliferation resistant. Thorium fuel is used in seven types of reactors: heavy water reactors (HWR), high-temperature gas-cooled reactors, boiling water reactors (BWR), pressurized (light) water reactors, fast neutron reactors, molten salt reactors (MSR), and accelerator driven reactors (ADR).
Is something restraining your company’s growth in the Thorium Market? Ask for the report brochure here
Key Drivers of Global Thorium Market
- Demand for clean, safe, and affordable source of nuclear energy is driving the global thorium market. Thorium is used to produce fuel for nuclear reactors to generate nuclear energy. This is likely to provide growth opportunities to the global thorium market.
- Thorium has reservoirs across the globe. Thorium-based reactors are safer than uranium reactors, as they can be easily stopped and do not required extreme pressure for operation. It yields more energy per tons and produces less radioactive waste.
- Thorium is widely used in the manufacturing of refractory materials, scientific instruments, gas mantles, lanterns, welding, heat-resistant paints, and jet engines. It is also used to manufacture high-quality camera lenses, as it increase the refractive index in glass. Increase in applications of thorium in various industries is projected to drive the global thorium market.
Powder Form Segment of Global Thorium Market to Witness Significant Growth Opportunities
- In terms of form, the global thorium market can be divided into granular and powder
- Thorium is extracted from various minerals such as monazite, thorite, and thorianite. It is available in powder and granular forms. Thorium powder is extremely flammable and spontaneously ignites in the air due to its pyrophoric nature.
- Thorium powder is widely used in the manufacturing of refractory materials, heat-resistant paints, ceramic, and glass
Nuclear Reactor Application Segment to Lead Global Thorium Market
- Based on application, the global thorium market can be divided into gas mantles, electronic equipment coating, refractory material manufacturing, camera lens/scientific instrument, nuclear reactor, heat resistant ceramics, and others
- Nuclear reactor is anticipated to be the major application segment of the global thorium market, owing to the growing demand for nuclear energy. Thorium is utilized in the production of nuclear fuel used in nuclear reactor to produce energy. Rise in demand for an alternative to uranium-based fuel is a key factor driving the global thorium market.
- Refractory material manufacturing is estimated to be the second largest segment of the global thorium market
Asia Pacific a Key Market for Thorium
- In terms of region, the global thorium market can be segmented into: North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is expected to account for a notable share of the global thorium market during the forecast period. Asia Pacific countries, such as India and China, hold abundant thorium reserves. India is focusing on utilization thorium on a large scale to produce nuclear energy due to its widespread availability and low prices compared to uranium.
- The thorium market in Latin America is estimated to expand considerably due to the increase in demand for nuclear energy in the region. Furthermore, this market in Middle East & Africa is projected to exhibit sluggish growth during the forecast period.
To Get a Bird’s Eye View of Thorium Market Forecast, Ask for a Custom Report
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Thorium Market
The global thorium market is fragmented with presence of several global and regional players. Key manufacturers operating in the global market include:
- STL Nuclear (Pty) Ltd
- ARAFURA Resources
- Hastings Rare Metals Limited
- Capital Mining Limited
- Blackwood Corporation Limited
- Crossland Uranium Mines Limited
- Kimberley Rare Earths Metal Limited
- Navigator Resources Limited
- Western Desert Resources Limited
- American Elements
- Cameco Corp.
- Unity Energy Corp.
- Spectrum Chemical Manufacturing Corp.
- Mil-Spec Industries Corporation.
- Materion Corporation
- Inorganic Ventures
Global Thorium Market: Research Scope
Global Thorium Market, by Form
Global Thorium Market, by Application
- Gas Mantles
- Electronic Equipment Coating
- Refractory Material Manufacturing
- Camera Lens/Scientific Instrument
- Nuclear Reactor
- Heat Resistant Ceramics
- Others (Toothpaste, Lanterns, Welding, Gas lamps, Jet Engines, etc.)
Global Thorium Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.