Thermal paper has a specialty coating that allows inkless printing and gives excellent results on printing as it provides reliable, speedy and high definition images. Thermal paper rolls are cost effective as they have lower maintenance costs. Furthermore, thermal printing technology is quieter as compared to its alternatives, which offers a pleasant experience when working with high volumes of printing. Key manufacturers such as Appvion are adopting latest printing technologies such as Techkon SpectroDens for thermal paper rolls to achieve excellent printing results. Attributing to their reliable and durability, thermal paper rolls finds application in various end uses. For instance, retailers use thermal paper rolls for point-of-scale applications such as super stores, grocery store, and ATM banks. In addition, ticket agencies and lottery systems, which require accurate and large volume printouts, also rely on thermal paper rolls.
Thermal Paper Rolls Market: Dynamics
The advent of digitalization in developing regions such as India has been driving the need for POS systems and subsequently, escalating the demand for thermal paper rolls in the market. In addition, the rising importance of labelling against the counterfeiting of products has been having a positive impact on the demand for thermal paper rolls. Moreover, thermal paper offers excellent coloring capability at high speeds and a highly durable finish that doesn't fade easily. This feature allows printed bar codes to be used in POS food labelling & other applications during their manufacturing and shipping, which has been escalating the demand for thermal paper rolls, globally.
On the other hand, the usage of BPA in thermal paper has a negative impact on human health, which may hamper the growth of the thermal paper rolls market in the near future. Therefore, many retailers are adopting digital receipt software programs that work with existing POS systems and they print customer receipts only on request in order to minimize the usage of thermal paper.
Thermal Paper Rolls Market: Segmentation
On the basis of product type, the global thermal paper market can be segmented as:
- Top coating thermal paper
- Premium & standard thermal paper
On the basis of printing technology type, the global thermal paper rolls market can be segmented as:
- Direct thermal
- Thermal transfer
On the basis of application, the global thermal paper rolls market can be segmented as:
- POS Systems
- Lottery & Gaming
- Labels & Tags
- ATM Receipt
- Others (Handy Terminal)
On the basis of end-use industry, global thermal paper rolls market can be segmented as:
- Transport & logistics
- Food & beverages
Asia Pacific to Register High Sales in Thermal Paper Rolls Market
Geographically, the global thermal paper rolls market can be segmented into Asia-Pacific, North America, Europe, Latin America, Middle East & Africa (MEA). The growing retail sector in developing countries such as India, China and ASEAN countries is the key factor driving the market of thermal paper rolls. Also, growing population and supportive government policies are expected to encourage investments in the thermal paper rolls market. Developed countries such as Germany and the United States are expected to register moderate growth during the forecast period.
Thermal Paper Rolls Market: Market Participants
Some of the key players in the global thermal paper rolls market are:
- Oji Holdings Corporation
- Ricoh Company, Ltd.
- Koehler Paper Group
- Mitsubishi Paper Mills (MPM)
- Appvion Operations, Inc.
- Jujo Limited
- Appvion Operations, Inc.
- NAKAGAWA Manufacturing (USA), Inc.
- PM Company L.L.C.
Thermal Paper Rolls Market: Key Developments
Some of the key developments in the global thermal paper rolls market are:
- In 2019, Ricoh Company, Ltd. is planning to expand its manufacturing capabilities in Europe. Ricoh will invest about 3 Billion Yen in Ricoh Industrie France S.A.S. to double its coater production capacity, which applies thermal coatings onto paper.
- In 2018, Appvion Operations, Inc. started adopting Techkon SpectroDens for its thermal paper rolls manufacturing operations as Techkon SpectroDens combines the qualities of a highly accurate spectophotometer and superior in terms of repeatability, ergonomics, and ease of use.
- In 2016, Oji Holdings Corporation along with Marubeni Corporation acquired the Tele-Paper (M) Sdn Bhd., converting and printing manufacturer of thermal paper rolls and carbonless paper in Malaysia.
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.