Superconducting Magnetic Energy Storage: Introduction
- Superconducting Magnetic Energy Storage (SMES) stores electricity from the grid within the magnetic field of a coil that consists of a superconducting wire with near-zero loss of energy. Superconducting magnetic energy storage includes three parts: cryogenically cooled refrigerator, power conditioning system, and superconducting coil.
- Superconducting magnetic energy storage possesses high-energy conversion efficiency, high power, and instantaneous response times
- The capability of superconducting magnetic energy storage system to recharge and discharge at a fast pace without degrading the magnetic is the key factor that is expected to boost the market over the next few years. The advent of new technologies and innovations is also anticipated to propel the market in the next few years.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Superconducting Magnetic Energy Storage Market
- Investment in in decentralized renewable energy generation has been increasing across the world in order to meet the continuously rising electricity consumption. Increase in adoption of decentralized intermittent renewable energy generation reinforces the necessity of balancing local production and energy consumption. This is estimated to drive the demand for superconducting magnetic energy storage, as superconducting magnetic energy storage is used to provide grid stability in distribution systems.
- Advent of smart grids and smart houses; and electrification of the transport sector are also some of the key factors expected to propel the superconducting magnetic energy storage market during the forecast period
- Ongoing investment in the utility sector is also estimated to propel the demand for superconducting magnetic energy storage in the near future. In utilities, superconducting magnetic energy storage units are used to enhance the stability of transmission loops.
- Several technical barriers and the requirement of high initial cost are projected to restrict the global superconducting magnetic energy storage market in the next few years. However, rise in demand for electricity across the globe, owing to several factors, including changing climatic conditions, increase in population, and depleting non-renewable energy resources are likely to augment the market in the near future.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
- Governments of various countries have imposed restrictions on the movement of individuals and economic activities to limit the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic. As a result, several industries such as oil & gas and construction had to halt their operations. Disruption in the operation of the industrial sector has adversely affected the demand for electricity, as the sector is one of the major consumers of electricity. This is expected to hamper the demand for superconducting magnetic energy storage in the near future.
End-user Segment Outlook
- The global superconducting magnetic energy storage market can be segmented based on end-user and region
- Based on end-user, the global superconducting magnetic energy storage market can be segregated into paper industry, motor vehicle assembly, petrochemical refinery, chemical & pharmaceutical, and others
Europe Expected to Constitute Major Share of Global Superconducting Magnetic Energy Storage Market
- In terms of region, the global superconducting magnetic energy storage market can be divided into Middle East & Africa, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe, and North America
- The superconducting magnetic energy storage market in Asia Pacific is expected to expand at a rapid pace due to the rise in focus on the integration of smart grids, renewable resources, and distributed energy storage systems in the region. Furthermore, increase in awareness among consumers about the advantages of these systems and rise in demand for energy are anticipated to fuel the market in the region in the near future.
- Europe is also a key region of the global superconducting magnetic energy storage market. The market in the region is projected to expand during the forecast period due the technological advancement in design of energy storage system.
Key Players Operating in Global Market
Key companies operating in the global superconducting magnetic energy storage market include:
- JFE Steel Corporation
- EAGLE STAINLESS TUBE & FABRICATION, INC.
- Superconducting Magnetic Energy Storage Sourcing
- Tube & Steel Supplies Ltd
- Productos Tubulares, S.A.U.
- Bri-Steel Manufacturing
- Permanent Steel Manufacturing Co.,Ltd
Global Superconducting Magnetic Energy Storage Market: Research Scope
Global Superconducting Magnetic Energy Storage Market, by End-user
- Paper Industry
- Motor Vehicle Assembly
- Petrochemical Refinery
- Chemical & Pharmaceutical
Global Superconducting Magnetic Energy Storage Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.