SSD Controller: Introduction
- SSD controller is also referred to as a processor. It comprises electronics that bridge the flash memory components to SSD input/output interfaces. The controller is an embedded processor that executes firmware-level software. SSD firmware is device specific and can be updated.
- Conventional SSD controllers are electrical elements contained within a single Integrated Circuit (IC) that are embedded processor usually consisting of a 32-bit microcontroller, electrically erasable data firmware ROM, and system RAM. It also supports external RAM that is usually DDR/DDR2 as SDRAM, Error Correction Code (ECC) circuitry, and flash component interface that are standard interface, such as the Open NAND Flash Interface (ONFI), and host electrical interface that are SATA, USB, SAS, or a combination.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure
Compatibility of SSD Controller with Industrial Solutions to Drive SSD Controller Market
- With the rise in the usage of industrial grade storage systems, SSD controller solutions are essentially used in NAND flash system designs. Due to the durable nature of this product design, SSDs are mechanically scalable and robust for use in several applications, which significantly reduce field failure rates compared to HDDs.
- SSD controllers are being increasingly adopted in the industrial market, and manufacturers are offering new SSD controller solutions that have high endurance, reliability, and are robust
- There are different NAND flash memory storage applications of SSD controller in industrial solutions. Moreover, there are technology, reliability, and endurance SSD controller solutions, which are successfully embedded in a range of SSD controllers for global industrial applications by various manufacturers.
High Demand for SSD Controllers
- Manufacturers are launching various technologically advanced products in the global SSD controller market. Earlier, only a few manufacturers, including Intel, Samsung, and Micron, were manufacturing SSDs.
- Micron Company has opened its own separate SSD brand too rather than previously working with Intel Corporation due to the fact that the market of SSD is growing very fast. . Similarly a young company called SandForce decided to release a new platform for SSD products, which included controller, firmware and PCB design.
- The new and very simple way of SSD creation has now become extremely popular among third-party companies that have rapidly started to produce their own drives.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
Asia Pacific and North America to Lead Global Market for SSD Controllers
- In terms of region, the global SSD controller market can be divided into: North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is likely to witness the maximum demand for SSD controllers from 2019 to 2027. Major component manufacturers of SSD controllers have been investing heavily in China, especially in the production sector in the country due to the propelling profitability in the manufacturing of SSD controllers.
- This market in North America is expected to grow rapidly, owing to the launch of technologically advanced SSD controllers in the market. For instance, InnoGrit Corporation (U.S.), founded in 2016, is developing storage technology to support AI and Big Data applications. On August 2019, the company introduced four new models of SSD controllers: Shasta and Shasta+ controllers. These controllers have 28nm design and uses the NVMe Host Memory Buffer features but do not include DRAM controllers.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Market
The global SSD controller market was highly fragmented in 2018. Key manufacturers operating in the global market are:
- Intel Corporation
- Micron Technology
- Toshiba Corporation
- Western Digital
- LITE-ON Technology Corporation
- Fusion-Io, Inc.
- Kingston Technology
Global SSD Controller Market: Research Scope
Global SSD Controller Market, by Form
Global SSD Controller Market, by Product
Global SSD Controller Market, by End-use Industry
- Consumer Goods
Global SSD Controller Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.