Spray-on Solar Cells Market: Introduction
- Spray-on solar cells are perovskite solar cells that can be sprayed onto a surface. Perovskite is a calcium titanium oxide mineral that works in a manner similar to a silicon cell, wherein it converts photovoltaic solar energy into power. Perovskite can be used in various applications.
- Perovskite solar cells are expected to revolutionize the solar power generation industry by providing an inexpensive and flexible source of producing clean energy. However, the technology is yet to become mature. Its current drawbacks in terms of functioning are yet to be overcome.
- Similar to silicon, perovskite cells can be crystallized. However, they can also take the liquid form, which allows for flexible application. On the other hand, perovskite crystal structures have different qualities. These are highly flexible, semi-transparent, and light in weight. This eventually adds to the number of possible methods in which perovskite cells can be used.
- The spray-on solar technology is still in its nascent stage. However, it can be considered a key development for utilization of abundant solar energy.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF sample of this report
Key Drivers of Global Spray-on Solar Cells Market
- Growing transition toward electric vehicles is likely to provide immense opportunities to manufacturers and solar sprays can be useful to add solar-generating capacity to vehicles. This, in turn, is likely to drive the global market for spray-on solar cells during the forecast period.
- Spray-on solar cells can be used for increasing and enhancing the efficiency of the existing solar setups. Users with solar panels installed on roofs of their houses can create an additional energy source by adding a layer of spray-on solar cells on top of their existing panels.
- Government subsidies and initiatives across the world are favoring the usage of potential solar power and are projected to provide immense opportunities to the global spray-on solar cells market during the forecast period
- Exploration to find sustainable and clean sources of energy is required, as the world tries to limit emissions and reach net zero carbon emissions
- By using spray-on solar cells, large monuments and structures (such as buildings, bridges, stadiums, and even, roads) can be converted into a base for generating clean electricity
Restraints of Global Spray-on Solar Cells Market
- One of the key disadvantages of using spray-on solar cells is the fact that perovskite cells are not completely made of a disposable material. They are reported to contain a small amount of lead, which makes these cells less ideal for use from the viewpoint of environment protection. This factor is likely to restrain the global spray-on solar cells market during the forecast period.
- Another limitation to use of perovskite solar cells is their low durability. They are not as strong or long-lasting as the conventional silicon solar cells. Perovskite solar cells are soluble and hence, they are likely to wear more easily than solid silicon material.
- In August 2019, Oxford PV, a leading player in the global perovskite solar cells market, announced to have received first-in-a-series of equipment orders from Meyer Burger, a leading photovoltaic equipment supplier, for a turnkey 100-MW silicon heterojunction solar cell line. These orders are expected to shortly be followed by a supplementary order from Meyer Burger for supply of perovskite top cell production equipment, which would be fully integrated with the 100-MW silicon heterojunction solar cell line purchased.
- In December 2019, a research team at the University of Central Florida used machine learning and artificial intelligence to optimize materials used to manufacture perovskite solar cells (PSCs). The organic-inorganic halide perovskite material used in PSCs converts photovoltaic power into consumable energy.
- In July 2019, Oxford PV, The Perovskite Company, announced to have secured an investment of around US$ 84 Mn from Goldwind, a leading provider of integrated renewable energy solutions in China, and an investment from the existing shareholders including Equinor and Legal & General Capital
- In September 2018, Oxford PV, The Perovskite Company, launched a five-year joint research program valued at EUR 5 Mn (US$ 6.4 Mn) with the University of Oxford, which was aimed at achieving 37% efficiency of spray-on solar cells
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
Europe to Hold a Major Share of Global Spray-on Solar Cells Market
- Based on region, the global spray-on solar cells market can be classified into North America, Asia Pacific, Europe, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Europe is likely to dominate the global spray-on solar cells market during the forecast period. High investments, especially by governments of countries such as Germany, and technological advancements are projected to drive the market in the region from 2019 to 2027.
- Also, the European Union (EU) targets to achieve 20% share of energy from renewable energy sources (RESs) in the final energy consumption by 2020, which is expected to drive the market in the region during the forecast period
- On the other hand, in North America, size of the renewable energy industry in the U.S. is expected to double by the end of the forecast period. Renewable energy projects in the country are likely to get benefitted from multi-year federal tax incentives and several state-level policies promoting the use of solar energy in the next few years.
- Asia Pacific is likely to be the key potential region of the global spray-on solar cells market during the forecast period, due to growing concerns in India and China about air pollution and carbon emissions
Key Players Operating in Global Market
Some of the major players operating in the global spray-on solar cells market are:
- Oxford PV
- Saule Technologies
- WonderSolar Co. Ltd.
- Energy Materials Corp (EMC)
- Tandem PV
Global Spray-on Solar Cells Market, by Technology
- Perovskite PV
- Tandem Technology
Global Spray-on Solar Cells Market, Research Scope
Global Spray-on Solar Cells Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.