Sports Sponsorship: Introduction
- Sponsoring is the financial support of a sport (be it an event, an organization, or an artist) by an external body (a person or an organization) for mutual benefit. Sponsoring takes place at all levels of a sport. School teams can have a sponsored team, while top athletes can be given large sums of money to wear certain sportswear or branded equipment. Sponsorship can consist of financial or indirect payments. Sponsorship means that both parties receive benefits from the agreement.
- Demand or need for sponsorship in sports can be attributed to the fact that sponsorship enables the sports organization to organize the event of their dreams; athletes and sports event organizers can focus more on training and preparation than sponsorship; large sponsorship partners can attract larger viewers; and higher number of visitors to sports events means more revenue.
- Sports sponsorship has various benefits – it raises awareness of the company or brand, advertises products and services, provides rewards or incentives for staff and customers, enhances revenue or sales through improved media exposure, decreases tax through tax relief, and increases brand loyalty/premium prices.
- Different types of sports sponsorship include digital activation, signage, club and venue activation, and are used in training sponsorship, and competition sponsorship.
- Sponsorship represents a large part of the sports business industry today. According to PWC, the global sports sponsorship market was estimated at more than US$ 46 Bn in 2018, which is expected to reach US$ 49 Bn by 2023.
Global Sports Sponsorship Market: Dynamics
Global Sports Sponsorship Market: Key Drivers
- The market for sports sponsorship is expected to grow during the forecast years due to increasing number of sports events and the fact that sponsorship has a greater reach compared to traditional marketing such as sales promotions and advertising.
- Additionally, significant improvement in audience engagement is likely to propel the sports sponsorship market during the forecast period.
- Increasing popularity of sports and demand for online sports by viewers is anticipated to increase the demand for sports sponsorship during the forecast period.
- Growing popularity of marketing analytics and increasing number of new sports leagues are expected to drive the sports sponsorship market in the near future.
- However, high initial investment and budget constraints may hamper the sports sponsorship market growth in the coming years.
Impact of COVID-19 on the Global Sports Sponsorship Market
- The Coronavirus pandemic is expected to have several ramifications on the sports sponsorship industry, and while most analysis these days has focused on assessing income losses, it also needs to consider the possible future investments that will be required to make the gradual return to the new normal.
- No sporting event currently benefits the sponsors of live events that forms the foundation of most organizations, whether amateur or professional. Absence of live sport means that there is no live reporting and hence sponsors do not have the basis to start their fan engagement, marketing, and all other activities related to the rights and assets acquired.
North America to Hold Major Share of the Global Sports Sponsorship Market
- The global sports sponsorship market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East & Africa, and South America.
- North America is expected to have a large share of the sports sponsorship market due to the growth in established economies such as Canada and the United States (US). Additionally, the increased presence of key players is likely to boost the sports sponsorship market in North America during the forecast period.
- Increasing adoption of new sports leagues and demand for sports in Asia Pacific is anticipated to increase the sport sponsorship market during the forecast period.
Global Sports Sponsorship Market: Competition Landscape
- In August 2020, after a long and tight break from Indian cricket, the second largest sportswear manufacturer in the world, Adidas jumped into the slots for the uniform sponsorship offer and the official marketing partner rights of the Indian cricket team.
- In November 2020, the fantasy gaming platform Mobile Premier League (MPL) was selected to be the clothing sponsor of the Indian cricket team for three years. The fact that BCCI dyed clothing and merchandise with MPL, which Nike replaced, was confirmed by a member of the ApeX Council.
Key players operating in the global sports sponsorship market include:
- Adidas AG
- Hero MotoCorp Limited
- Hyundai Motor Company
- Nike Inc.
- Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.
- PepsiCo Inc.
- PUMA SE
- Qatar Airways Group
- Rolex SA
- Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd.
- The Coca-Cola Company
Global Sports Sponsorship Market: Research Scope
Global Sports Sponsorship Market, by Type
- Digital Activation
- Club and Venue Activation
Global Sports Sponsorship Market, by Application
- Competition Sponsorship
- Training Sponsorship
Global Sports Sponsorship Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
- South America
- Rest of South America
This upcoming business intelligence report is intended to be a one-stop market research solution to guide organizations in taking timely and effective decisions for their business growth. The ongoing study is the culmination of our deep expertise on data science methods, combined with an unparalleled understanding of the external environment and analysis of the industries. Each of the reports by TMR aims at offering a detailed scrutiny of the value chain of our current and prospective customers, takes them from identifying value propositions, and subsequently assist their business executives to implement right strategies to create customer value. We believe that creating and sustaining the customer value is the key pivot on which business executives can create profits for their organizations and increase the market shares, continuously and with sustainability.
Each of our touchpoints through which we engage with the organization/enterprise during the primary research enables us to understand the internal environment it operates in and the ways in which the external environment influences its growth.
Always Evolving with Competition
Excellence is built into the DNA of TMR, and all our teams work collaboratively and committedly toward achieving that in whatever they do. From the very first interaction our teams of research analysts have with any interested market participant to the final preparation processes in each of our reports reflects a rigorous understanding of the dynamic industry environment that businesses operate in.
We relentlessly work to be a differentiator in whatever we do in the current era of hypercompetitive global environment. The result of our unceasing focus on excellence is reflected clearly in the insights and guidance we offer to our customers in order to empower them to create brand equity. Our simple yet very powerful underpinning for navigating the competition is to always keep evolving with changing business environments. Our close-kinit team of research analysts not only believe in this simple philosophy but also implement the same.
Constantly Innovating Our Research Methodologies and Models
We do not limit with any specific market research tool or one standard approach for obtaining or analyzing data. Undoubtedly, our report making process is ever-evolving to meet the customer needs and demands supported broadly by a vast knowledge of data science methods that we combine with business acumen our teams have built upon for several years. Evidently, our primary and secondary research data about customers and consumers have shown that we can go to any lengths to obtain them. This is followed by applying next-gen automation tools integrated with human judgement to clear the clutter, ascertain the most relevant and recent qualitative and quantitative insights, and package them in digestible chunks in our reports for our customers.
We Take Pride in No-One-Size-Fits-All Approach
Over the past several years, we have been conducting market intelligence studies across all industries for all types of organizations — big and small, profit and not-for-profit, and Fortune 500 and Unicorns, as we believe that a sound decision making must be based on no-one-size-fits-all approach. Without doubt, each of the organizations regardless of the industry they are in are affected differently by changes in political, economic, socio-culture, legal, ecological, and legal environments. The research models and the value chain analysis process that our analysts employ for conducting the study uphold this approach.
We look at myriad components of internal and external business environment affecting the growth strategies of organizations. Some of the broader aspects that we focus on are:
- Our team of Analysts and Support Teams always strive to see the bigger picture in life cycle stages of any industry
- The Teams focus on obtaining valuable insights into different models of competitive advantage while making an internal environment analysis
- They keep on modifying the value chain analysis processes of organizations to understand on how customer value is created
Some areas of assessing market dynamics that are used in the research models and methodologies adopted by our analysts can be summarized as:
- Corporate and business strategies underlying new brand positioning strategies
- Mapping for strategic planning for business units
- Various metrics for business portfolio analysis, including BCG matrix
- Value chain analysis
These will help create and sustain competitive advantage for our prospects and current customers.
Key focus areas and agenda that underpin and catalyze our primary and secondary research initiatives and endeavors are:
- What are some of the core competencies and distinctive competencies of new entrants and established players in the industry we are analyzing?
- What are some of the branding opportunities that are emerging at a rapid pace?
- What are the major competitive forces and elements of external environment shaping the industry life cycle stages of most organizations?
- Why some competitive strategies are popular than others among leaders in a certain market?
- What customer-based brand equity strategies companies have leveraged in a certain industry or set of related industries in a sector?
- What are some of the key pricing strategies that companies in an industry are implementing for marketing their products internationally?
- Identifying whether market-push or market-pull strategies are more relevant to a certain product or a service?
Disclaimer: This ongoing market research study is a meticulously planned activity where a broad array of factors and aspects that shape the marketing environment and industry are taken into account. However, keeping in mind the constantly changing nature of business dynamics and changing strategic intents, we are always actively making iterations and modifications in our approaches. As always, we are ready to tailor our insights and guidance to suit your requirements. Engage with us to know what more is there for your CXOs.