Sourdough Market – Introduction
Bread existed much before than other foods and sourdough has been there for longer than most other breads. Sourdough bread is a tangy bread with an airy texture, unique flavors, and is made by the fermentation of dough using naturally occurring yeast and lactobacilli. As sourdough is leavened using natural yeast, it forms a crusty yet airy rich-flavored bread, and these characteristics set it apart from other loaves.
The sourdough market is likely to proliferate at a fast pace, owing to the shifting consumer preference for sourdough bread due to its numerous health benefits. Sourdough bread is increasingly gaining traction as its flavorful, keeps well, and is more nutritious than normal bread. As sourdough bread is easier to digest than the standard square-factory bread loaves, it is witnessing significant traction from consumers with wheat and yeast intolerances.
Sourdough Market – Competitive Landscape
- In 2017, Puratos launched new sourdough range based on natural fermentation, backed by the recent investment the company made to grow the capacity and capabilities of its sourdough facility in Pennsauken, NJ.
- In 2018, Swiss food specialist, Veripan, announced a revolutionary innovation in sourdough development with bio-preservative Panatura Protect. Panatura Protect enables bakers to use an ‘all-in-one’ solution for extended shelf-life bakery products. Furthermore, it has no chemical preservatives, no undesirable off-flavors, and no dough conditioners.
Founded in 1919, Puratos is an international group that provides a wide range of raw materials, innovative products, and application expertise to sectors such as chocolate, bakery, and patisserie. Puratos is headquartered just outside Brussels (Belgium), and offers products and services in more than 100 countries around the world.
Founded in 1992, Veripan AG is headquartered in Switzerland, and is a subsidiary of Panadoro Group AG. Veripan AG offers ingredients, recipes, and technologies for starch and fat-based foodstuffs, as well as products, machinery, and services in diverse areas of food systems and food engineering for bakery, dairy, and confectionery industries.
Founded in 1849, Boudin is a bakery headquartered in San Francisco, California, and is known for its sourdough bread. Producer of French sourdough bread sourdough pizzas, pastries, soups and sandwiches, Boudin Bakery currently operates thirty-two bakery cafes and three wholesale bakeries situated in Southern California, Northern California, & the greater Chicago area.
Founded in 1856, IREKS GmbH is an international company in the food industry and is headquartered in Germany. Apart from IREKS bakery and confectionery business unit, the company is also active in ice cream products, aromas, Braumalze, and agricultural trade. It offers aroma and taste products, such as malt products and sourdoughs, function & process products; organic products, including organic sourdough, improvers, mixes, and malt products.
Sourdough Market Dynamics
Increased Diagnosis of Gluten Intolerance & Sensitivity to Fuel Sourdough Adoption
The number of people suffering from gluten intolerance or coeliac disease has grown significantly in recent years. The diagnosis of coeliac disease has grown on the back of rising awareness about the physiological effects of gluten diet. Furthermore, with consumers becoming increasingly aware about gluten sensitivity or wheat allergy, they are consciously limiting the gluten intake in their diet, and are preferring gluten-free products. Bread being a staple food in several parts of the world, demand for gluten-free bread is anticipated to grow. As sourdough is gluten-free, the consumption of its products is growing at a rapid pace.
Shifting Consumer Preference for Traditional & Healthy Food in Western Europe Propelling Market Growth
Growing urbanization coupled with the accelerating demand for fast food products, including pizza, is fueling growth in Western Europe sourdough market. As sourdough pizza base freezes better than standard pizza base and also improves the taste considerably, it is witnessing increased adoption by the manufacturers of frozen pizza. Bread with a high GI score includes chemical constituents that are associated with elevated blood glucose levels. Consequently, Western Europe is witnessing demand for low GI food products, which is further triggering consumption of sourdough based confectionary products. Several bakery products’ manufacturers in Western Europe are developing and launching low GI sourdough items to appeal to a wider consumer base, which is likely to bring positive changes in the sourdough market.
Sourdough Market - Segmentation
Based on starter culture, the sourdough market is segmented into:
- Type I
- Type II
- Type III
Based on application, the sourdough market is segmented into:
- Waffles & Pancakes
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the sourdough market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the sourdough market report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report on the sourdough market serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Sourdough market segments and sub-segments
- Sourdough market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand in the sourdough market
- Sourdough market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges in the sourdough market
- Sourdough market competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs in the sourdough market
- Sourdough market value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada) Sourdough market
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others) Sourdough market
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg) Sourdough market
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia) Sourdough market
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand) Sourdough market
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa) Sourdough market
The report on the sourdough market has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The sourdough market report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the sourdough market report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in sourdough market dynamics
- Sourdough market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the sourdough market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments in the sourdough market
- Sourdough market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional sourdough markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the sourdough market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the sourdough market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.