Solar-powered Drones Market: Introduction
- Solar-powered drones, also termed as solar-powered unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), are airborne vehicles that utilize solar energy for propulsion. These vehicles are piloted by operators by using remote control or autonomously by onboard computers.
- Currently, a very few countries are engaged in developing solar-powered drones and a limited number of end-users are procuring them. However, beneficial features of these drones coupled with their capability to cater to an extensive range of applications are likely to augment the demand for these drones in the next few of years.
To obtain all-inclusive information on forecast analysis of global Solar-powered Drones Market, request a Report Brochure here.
Key Drivers of Solar-powered Drones Market:
- Increasing awareness regarding the use of solar energy and favorable initiatives toward promotion of renewable energy are major factors driving the global solar-powered drones market
- Moreover, increasing use of solar-powered drones for various security and surveillance activities across the globe is likely to fuel the demand for these drones in the next few years
- Reliable and high-speed Internet connectivity has become essential across the globe. It is currently limited to urban areas only. Initiatives taken by network providers to connect remote rural areas with high-speed Internet and expansion of the consumer base are expected to drive the global solar-powered drones market during the forecast period.
- However, high initial investments and lack of skilled professionals are major factors restraining the global solar-powered drones market
Government & Defense Segment to Witness Attractive Opportunities
- The global solar-powered drones market can be segmented in terms of type, application, and region
- In terms of type, the global market can be classified into fixed-wing drones, multi-rotor drones, and others. The fixed-wing drones segment dominated the global solar-powered drones market in 2018. These drones are extensively used in military operations. Its aerodynamics allow the drone to be used for mapping urban and remote areas.
- Based on application, the global solar-powered drones market can be segmented into agriculture, energy, government & defense, telecommunication, and others. The government & defense segment dominated the global market in 2018, to owing to high usage of solar-powered drones in surveying and mapping.
North America to Hold a Major Share of Global Solar-powered Drones Market
- Based on region, the global solar-powered drones market can be classified into North America, Asia Pacific, Europe, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America dominated the global market in 2018 and the trend is estimated to continue during the forecast period. High expenditure and technological advancements and the large number of deployments of UAVs are driving the market in the region. Demand for UAVs in the U.S. is very high, primarily for use in surveillance.
- The U.S. is also the largest manufacturer of unmanned systems across the world. Moreover, companies in the country are focusing on development of high-altitude pseudo-satellites (HAPSs) for enhancing connectivity.
- The market in Asia Pacific is expected to expand at the maximum CAGR during the forecast period. China, Japan, and Australia are major contributors, in terms of revenue, to the solar-powered drones market in Asia Pacific. Europe is expected to contribute significantly to the global solar-powered drones market during the forecast period.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on competition on Solar-powered Drones Market here
Key Players Operating in Global Solar-powered Drones Market:
The global solar-powered drones market is highly concentrated, with top manufacturers accounting for approximately 40%–45% share of the market. A few of the key players operating in the global solar-powered drones market are:
- AeroVironment, Inc.
- Airbus SE
- Silent Falcon UAS Technologies
- Sunlight Photonics Inc.
- Thales Group
- Titan Aerospace
- In January 2018, AeroVironment, Inc. entered into a joint venture with SoftBank Corp., a Japan-based telecommunications company, in order to develop a solar-powered, high-altitude long-endurance (HALE), unmanned aircraft for use in commercial operations
- In November 2016, Sunbirds launched SB4-Phoenix, a commercial solar drone that weighs 3 kilograms and that has a wingspan of 3 meters. SB4-Phoenix suitable for use in applications such as infrastructure surveillance and precision agriculture .
- BAE Systems and Prismatic, two U.K.-based aerospace firms, are developing a drone capable of remaining in the sky for an entire year. The drone can be described as a high-altitude long-endurance (HALE) unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV). Called PHASA-35 (Persistent High Altitude Solar Aircraft-35), the drone would be fitted with lithium-ion batteries and ultra-lightweight gallium arsenide solar cells to allow it to remain at altitudes between 55,000 feet and 70,000 feet for up to 12 months. The battery of this drone is to be charged during the day by using solar power, which allows it to function throughout the night.
Global Solar-powered Drones Market: Research Scope
Global Solar-powered Drones Market, by Type
- Fixed-wing Drones
- Multi-rotor Drones
Global Solar-powered Drones Market, by Application
- Government & Defense
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.