Solar Based Water Desalination
- Water desalination is becoming a competitive solution for providing drinking-water in many countries around the world. Desalination of salt water is considered a highly sustainable and alternative water resource for freshwater.
- Desalination plants are energy intensive. This increases the operation costs, making it uneconomical. However, solar based water desalination helps reduce the operational cost and carbon emissions. Solar PVs are used to power desalination plants.
- Solar energy provides sustainable alternative to power the water desalination plants in remote areas with no electricity
- The integration of renewable energy in water desalination and water purification helps reduce emissions and meet the environmental targets
Key Drivers of Global Solar Based Water Desalination Market
- The global solar based water desalination market has been expanding owing to rise in population and urbanization across the globe. This has led to increase in demand for water in various applications such as residential, commercial, and industrial. Furthermore, rise in investments in renewable source of energy helps eliminate carbon emission. This is estimated to boost the global solar based water desalination market.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
- The COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted the installation of planned and upcoming solar based water desalination projects across the globe. The pandemic has hampered the supply of essential parts, raw materials, and labor in the market. Furthermore, the maintenance of desalination plants has been delayed in many locations. This has resulted in breakdown and low system efficiency. In turn, this is hampering the global solar based water desalination market.
- On June 27, 2020, GivePower Foundation, a non-profit organization that provides solar energy and clean, affordable water to people who need it most, deployed two solar water farms in Mombasa, Kenya, and La Gonâve, Haiti. These solar water farms are powered entirely by solar energy. The desalination systems are housed in 20 feet shipping containers and are capable of transforming 70,000 liters of brackish and/or seawater into clean, healthy drinking water every day.
Middle East & Africa to Hold Major Share of Global Solar Based Water Desalination Market
- Based on region, the global solar based water desalination market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Middle East & Africa dominated the global solar based water desalination market in 2019, as the region is dependent on desalination for potable water. Countries in the region have low water availability levels on a per-capita basis in the world. Furthermore, growth in economy and population in the region is likely to boost the demand for water in the next few years.
- The Dubai Electricity and Water Authority (DEWA) is planning to desalinate its water systems by a mix of clean energy that uses environmentally sustainable energy by 2030. Furthermore, most of the companies in Africa are investing in solar based desalination systems for irrigation purposes.
- Asia Pacific is likely to account for vital share of the global solar based water desalination market during the forecast period. Most of the countries close to ocean are installing solar based desalination plants for commercial, agricultural, and other non-potable water applications.
- North America and Europe are anticipated to be moderately attractive regions of the global solar based water desalination market during the forecast period, owing to developed water infrastructure in the region. Rise in investments in solar and wind energy is likely to replace the existing conventional water desalination plants with solar based water desalination plants.
- The market in Latin America is likely to expand at a slow pace during the forecast period owing to low investments and low awareness regarding solar water desalination in the region
Key Players Operating in Market
Major players operating in the global solar based water desalination market include:
- Thermax Group
- Photon Energy Systems Limited
- Solar Water Solutions Ltd
- Sterlitech Corporation
- GivePower Foundation
- Sinovoltaics Group
- Trunz Water Systems AG
- Elemental Water Makers B.V.
- F CUBED LIMITED
- Photon Energy Systems Ltd.
- Waaree Energies Ltd.
Global Solar Based Water Desalination Market: Research Scope
Global Solar Based Water Desalination Market, by Method
- Solar-powered Humidification-Dehumidification (HDH) Desalination
- Solar Diffusion Driven Desalination
- Concentrated Solar Power (CSP)-based Desalination
- Solar Pond Desalination
Global Solar Based Water Desalination Market, by Membrane Process
- Solar-powered Reverse Osmosis
- Electrodialysis and Electrodialysis Reversal
- Membrane Desalination
- Nano Filtration
Global Solar Based Water Desalination Market, by End-user
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.