The global smoke ingredients for food market is a haven of lucrative opportunities that several companies could capitalise upon. Despite the availability of prima facie evidence to support the ills of cigarette smoking, a large population of people remains addicted to nicotine and other smoke ingredients. Furthermore, youngsters have become key consumers of smoke products such as nicotine, cigarettes, and cigars. The global outrage against non-regulated sale of smoke ingredients has not affected the sales channels for these products. Furthermore, the food industry has endorsed several smoke ingredients that can be used to give a smoky taste to grilled foods and vegetables. Henceforth, the demand for smoke ingredients is flowing in from multiple avenues related to the food and beverages industry.
- Restaurants and food outlets have become increasingly concerned about improving their presentation for guests. This requirement has led these units to use smoke ingredients in specialty foods. Moreover, smoky ingredients are also added to foods to add to their exotic and sapid taste. Therefore, the total volume of revenues within the global smoke ingredients for food market is expected to rise by leaps and bounds. The importance aromatised foods and hot beverages is also an important driver of demand within the global market.
- Use of smoke ingredients for conducting experiments in the food industry has also emerged as an important dynamic of market growth and maturity. Availability of smoky flavours of sauces, meat products, and seasonings is indicative of growth within the global smoke ingredients for food market.
- Seafood is often seasoned with smoke ingredients in order to rid it of foul smell. Therefore, the total demand for smoke ingredients shall increase at the back of improvements in the food industry. The need to add new flavours of sauces and seasonings has also impelled demand within the global smoke ingredients for food market.
In order to lend a smoky flavor to various foods, smoke ingredients are used. These ingredients are typically added to foods that cannot actually be roasted or grilled but still need to carry a smoky flavor. Liquid smoke, which is, obtained through the combustion of different types of hard woods, including beech, maple, hickory plants, or oak, is thus an ingredient that is finding newer applications.
During the combustion process, the process condensate is separately collected. This ingredient thus obtained is known as liquid smoke. In the food industry, processes such as barbequing and grilling also put the food at risk of burning. However, this issue can be allayed with the use of standard smoke ingredients. They thus help food manufacturers to lend different flavors to their products while optimizing production.
Moreover, the use of smoke ingredients also ensures that taste remains consistent from batch to batch. These ingredients help expedite the maillard reaction, add roasted aromas, and help develop the right color.
Smoke ingredients can include smoke, grill, natural hardwood sources, and hickory. These ingredients are widely employed in drenching or showering flavors, atomization, dry forms, and direct addition. Their use is seen at different processing stages. Some of the common products where smoke ingredients are used include: poultry, meat, sauces, seafood, seasonings, snacks, bread, dressings, and crackers.
Smoke Ingredients for Food Market: Key Segments
The market for smoke ingredients can be classified based on the criteria of form (liquid, powder, oil and others such as concentrates and emulsions). Of the various forms of smoke ingredients, the use of liquid smoke ingredients is the widest. This can be ascribed to its easy handling and its high solubility in water. It thus generates the highest revenue share in the market.
The use of smoke ingredients in the form of powders is made by combining them with spice mixes, salts, and colorants. Kosher salts are widely used in the form of powders. The use of concentrate smoke ingredients is typically made in extremely small quantities; when they need to be applied to meat products, they are usually sprayed on.
The most commonly used medium for applying smoke ingredients is oil. The use of smoking oil is made for capturing fumes so as to trap the flavor in it. Moreover, the F&B industry also uses smoked oils in numerous barbeque flavored products, which are becoming popular worldwide. Products such as bacon, marinades, cheeses, and sausages are available in such flavors.
By application, the market for smoke ingredients is further segmented into bakery and confectionery, dairy, meat and seafood, and others (snacks and sauces). Of all of these segments, the segment of meat and seafood has stimulated the highest demand for smoke ingredients. The share of the bakery and confectionery segment is projected to rise through the forecast period. The use of smoke ingredients to lend a unique flavor to hard boiled candy is the latest trend.
Smoke Ingredients for Food Market: Region-wise Outlook
By region, the market for smoke ingredients for food comprises: Latin America, North America, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Japan, Asia Pacific excluding Japan, and the Middle East and Africa. The markets of Europe and North America have reached a stage of maturity. On the other hand, there is a growing demand for smoke ingredients in the food industry in Asia Pacific. There is a high demand in this region for ready-to-eat products.
Smoke Ingredients for Food Market: Leading Players
The top players with an international presence in the global smoke ingredients for food market are: Associated British Foods plc., Azelis, Dempsey Corporation, Besmoke, Kerry Ingredients , FRUTAROM Savory Solutions GmbH, Redbrook Ingredient Services, Red Arrow, and WIBERG GmbH.
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland, Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.