Smart Port Market: Introduction
- A smart port is an automated port that uses nascent technologies such as big data, Internet of Things (IoT), block chain solutions and other smart technology based methods to improve performance and economic competitiveness.
- Smart ports employ smart technology solutions to increase efficiency, effectiveness and security by making ports more environmentally sustainable, economically efficient and capable of handling increased port traffic.
- The industry of ports and container shipping is considered as conservative and “resistant to change”, However, there are new emerging technologies, systems and solutions that will alter this perception in the coming years, leading the entire sector to a brighter, more connected future.
- Due to the increasing size and volume of container, transport and cruise ships, conventional ports continue to face new challenges with daily traffic and processing. Thus Smart Ports with Technologies such as IoT can improve warehouse logistics, inventory management etc. and help automate loading, dispatching and transporting goods.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF sample of this report here
Key Drivers of Smart Port Market
- Smart Seaports are playing catch-up with the large Transport & Logistics (T&L) players when it comes to developing insight driven solutions and IoT applications. The Demand side is comprised of logistics supply (warehouses, transport providers, terminal operators) and domestic transport, thus the need for smart ports is driven by big companies acting in T&L sector.
- Growing environmental concerns and rising needs of automation is major key factor influencing the growth of smart port market over the forecast period.
- Moreover, Numerous Government has taken a handful of steps toward smart port as part of their initiatives which will provide ample opportunities for the overall growth of the smart port market globally.
- One of the key drivers of a smart port market is the need to improve the throughput of all types of cargo and to reduce resource, staff, and equipment and fuel costs. Improvements to the quality of customer service and implementing automated processes can benefit the wider supply chain and port community.
Restraints of smart port or terminal:
- Companies associated ports industry, are responsible for customer data (which is already extremely valuable), as well as for physical goods. In addition many of the stored goods can be regarded as strategic stockpiles for the countries and regions that eventually increases the need for a robust security system. In today’s scenario port security is limited to the global ISPS code, which primarily focusses on physical threats. Port authority ecosystems must be aware that the digital threat is just as important, certainly if ports continue on their path towards further digitalization.
- The need for co-operation between international ports in order to share data and insights is still is unexplored with smart port technology. Thus, protectionism of the port authorities on their own data is a major challenge in development of smart port strategy.
To Get a Bird’s Eye View of Smart Port Market Forecast, Ask for a Custom Report
- The Port of Hamburg in Germany plans to use connected technology such as Internet of Things (IoT) to double capacity by 2025 without expanding in space, while reducing costs for both operators and cargo owners.
- In Port of Rotterdam, Netherlands, IBM aims to roll out a fleet of autonomous ships, again by 2025, starting with the creation of a so-called digital twin - an exact digital replica of the port and its operations.
- The Port of Tallinn in Estonia has implemented a real-time waiting line system, which, combined with smart visibility systems that can speed up the flow of trucks through both the port and the city beyond.
- Singapore, a global Smart City leader, is leveraging big data and AI across various port processes through an initiative called SAFER (Sense-making Analytics for Maritime Event Recognition). The system optimizes or automates key tasks that previously relied on human observation and reporting.
Key Players Operating in Smart Port Market:
Some of the major key players operating in the Smart Port market are:
- IBM Corp
- Ramboll Group A/S
- GENERAL ELECTRIC
- Abu Dhabi Ports
- Ikusi Velatia
- ROYAL HASKONINGDHV
- Trelleborg AB
- Wipro Limited
- Port of Rotterdam
Global Smart Port Market, by Throughput
- Extensively busy (above 18 million teu)
- Moderately busy (5-18 million teu)
- Scarcely busy (below 5million teu)
Global Smart Port Market, by Technology
- Internet of things (IoT)
- Process automation
- Artificial intelligence
Global Smart Port Market, by Port type
- Sea Ports
- Cargo ports
Global Smart Port Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.