Single Photon Counting Detector Market: Introduction
- Single photon counting detector is used where signal and noise cannot be differentiated. The major applications of single photon counting detector include quantum cryptography, spectroscopy, LiDAR, DNA analysis, particle measurement, fluorescence microscopy or detection of single molecule, x-ray imaging, and CT.
- Photon counting is a technique of photo detection at low light levels, where single photon absorption events are counted. Single photon counter consists of electronics that registers the presence of a single photon, it consists of single-pixel photon counter (SPPC), an amplifier, a comparator, a high-voltage power supply circuit, and a temperature controller.
- In several scientific applications, photon counting is done where detection of single photon and the determination of the statistics of its arrival time is important. Photon counting is utilized to detect very low level light obtained from Raman spectroscopy, fluorescence analysis, and chemical or biological analysis. Various methods are used in photon counting such as gated photon counting, multi-channel scalars, and time correlated single photon counting methods.
- Thus, different types of detectors are used in the methods mentioned above, such as photomultipliers, single photon avalanche diodes, InGaAs SPAD detector, hybrid photo detectors, multi-channel detectors, APD arrays, superconducting nanowire single-photon detectors, transition edge sensors, and scintillation counters
Rise in Demand for Single Photon Counting Detectors in Quantum Optics
- Application of single photon counting has been increasing for the last few years, as need for quality and precision is becoming increasingly more stringent
- Single-photon counting techniques have been utilized in low-light sensing applications such as LiDAR quantum key distribution, medical imaging technology, and 3D imaging, technology. Photomultiplier tubes have been the traditional solution for photon counting applications; however, single-photon avalanche diode (SPAD) is becoming an alternative candidate for the last few years due to its lower cost, lower operating voltage, higher sensitivity, and smaller size.
- Rapid developments and an increase in the demand in quantum information science have served as key drivers to improve the device performance of single-photon counting
Asia Pacific to Hold Prominent Share of Global Market
- Asia Pacific is projected to dominate the global single photon counting detector market during the forecast period, as various major players fare focused on consolidation of their position in the medical analysis and imaging market in the region, which in turn is expected drive the market
- Expansion of the clinical analysis and diagnosis infrastructure in the region owing to a rise in the demand for medical services for an increasing ageing population is a major factor driving the single photon counting detector market
- Optical detectors are being utilized in certain quantum computation platforms for the last few years in order to investigate quantum phenomenon such as entanglement and coherence, which are much needed for the realization of quantum computation. Its demand in quantum communication and quantum key distribution has also increased.
Key Players in Single Photon Counting Detector Market
Rise in trend of quantum computing & cryptography, distance measurement (LiDAR), PET (Positron Emission Tomography) is also a key factor that is prompting market players to innovate and offer advanced products to cater to the demands of end-users. Key players include Hamamatsu Photonics K.K., Excelitas Technologies Corp., Bruker, Thorlabs, Inc. PerkinElmer, Boston Electronics, PicoQuant, PHOTONIS, Laser Technology, ID Quantique, and HORIBA.
Single Photon Counting Detector Market Scope
Single Photon Counting Detector Market, by Type
- Single Photon Avalanche Diodes
- InGaAs SPAD Detector
- Hybrid Photo Detectors
- Multi-Channel Detectors
- APD Arrays
- Superconducting Nanowire Single-Photon Detectors
- Transition Edge Sensors
Single Photon Counting Detector Market, by Application:
- Distance Measurement (LiDAR)
- PET (Positron Emission Tomography)
- X-Ray Imaging
- Flow Cytometry
- Fluorescence & Chemiluminescence Measurement
- Particle Counter
- Scanning Laser Ophthalmoscope (SLO)
- Hygiene Monitor
- Quantum Computing & Cryptography
- Semiconductor Wafer Inspection Systems
Single Photon Counting Detector Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
- South America