Global Silicon Phototransistors Market – Introduction
- A silicon phototransistor is an electronic switching and current amplification component that relies on exposure to light for its operation. When light falls on the junction, reverse current proportional to the luminance flows. Silicon phototransistors are used extensively to detect light pulses and convert them into digital electric signals. These are operated by light rather than electric current.
- Due to their benefits, such as low cost, silicon phototransistors are used in several applications. All silicon photosensors (phototransistors) respond to the entire range of visible radiation as well as to infrared rays. In fact, all diodes, transistors, Darlington transistors, triacs, etc. have the same basic radiation frequency response.
- Silicon phototransistors are widely used in different electronic devices for detecting light, for example, infrared receivers, smoke detectors, lasers, and CD players
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Silicon Phototransistors Market
- Increasing adoption of sensors has been driving the global phototransistor industry, as phototransistors are used as position sensors
- Furthermore, rising use of silicon phototransistors in the lighting industry is driving the global market for silicon phototransistors, as these phototransistors are largely used in ambient light sensing and street light sensing
- Another key challenge for the global silicon phototransistors market is that phototransistors are sluggish compared to photodiodes. Photodiodes convert light into photocurrent much quicker than phototransistors, which limits the demand for the latter for use in high-speed applications.
- The Darlington silicon phototransistor segment held the maximum market share, in terms of value, in 2018
- Silicon phototransistors are also rapidly used for system control in automotive applications, including hybrid and electric vehicles
- Phototransistors offer several advantages, such as lower noise levels, over their alternatives such as avalanche photodiodes. However, silicon phototransistors do not have a particularly good high-frequency response, which is restraining the market to a certain extent.
- Also, the material used in a phototransistor may limit its voltage-handling capability, for instance, silicon cannot handle voltage of over 1,000 volts and the efficiency of phototransistors decreases when an electromagnetic field interferes the operational area. This results in poor conversion efficiency of phototransistors.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report
Darlington Silicon Phototransistor Segment Witnesses Significant Growth Potential
- Based on type, the global silicon phototransistors market can be divided into normal silicon phototransistor and Darlington silicon phototransistor
- Darlington silicon phototransistors are likely to witness significant demand during the forecast period, as these are simple, compact, and less expensive. They are sensitive to a large number of light sources including incandescent bulbs, fluorescent bulbs, neon bulbs, lasers, flames, and sunlight.
Asia Pacific to Lead Global Market for Silicon Phototransistors
- In terms of region, the global silicon phototransistors market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is likely to witness the maximum demand for silicon phototransistors from 2019 to 2027, due to technological advancements in the lighting industry in the region.
- The silicon phototransistors market in North America is expected to expand at a significant rate throughout the forecast period, owing to strong presence of consumer electronics industry in the region
- Leading manufacturers of silicon phototransistors have extensive distribution networks and deep product penetration.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Market
The global silicon phototransistors market was highly fragmented in 2018. Key manufacturers operating in the global market are:
- Heubach GmbH
- AkzoNobel N.V.
- Teknos Group
- Axalta Coating Systems
- ROHM Semiconductor
- Illinois Tool Works Inc.
- Kyosemi Corporation
- Linearizer Technology, Inc.
- Advance Reproductions Corporation
- Lite-On Technology, Inc.
- First Sensor AG
- Jupiter Electronics L.L.C.
- TT Electronics
- Mitsubishi Electronics America Inc.
Looking for Regional Analysis or Competitive Landscape in silicon phototransistors market, ask for a customized report
Global Silicon Phototransistors Market: Research Scope
Global Silicon Phototransistors Market, by Type
- Normal Silicon Phototransistor
- Darlington Silicon Phototransistor
Global Silicon Phototransistors Market, by Application
- Remote Controllers
- Street Light Switching
- Oil Burner Flame Monitoring
- Coin Counters
- Ambient Light Sensing
- Safety Shields
- Margin Control-Printers
- Position Sensors
- Monitor Paper Position and Stack Heights
Global Silicon Phototransistors Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.