Silicon Carbide Fibers: Introduction
- Silicon carbide fibers are composed primarily of silicon carbide crystallites and amorphous mix of carbon, silicon, and oxygen
- The search for high-performance composites for various engineering applications is boosting the silicon carbide (SiC) fibers market. Advancement in the ceramics composites industry is increasingly impacting the market. Silicon carbide fibers and their composites have emerged as strong candidates for researchers and industry players in high-temperature structural applications. The usage of silicon carbide fibers has gathered traction in the making of structures for aircraft engines, gas turbines, and nuclear power plants. High strength-to-weight ratio and outstanding creep resistance are some of the various properties that drive the utilization of these fibers across end-use industries.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Silicon Carbide Fibers
- Rise in demand for silicon carbide fibers and their composites in the defense industry is propelling the silicon carbide fibers market. Of the various product types, continuous silicon carbide fibers have been witnessing widespread demand around the world, especially in the fast-growing nuclear power industry. Need for better materials to impart complex shapes in structures used in the defense industry is offering new prospects. Over the past few years, processing techniques used in the composite industry have advanced significantly, thus opening new opportunities for manufacturers in the silicon carbide fibers market.
- The technologies that NASA has patented in non-oxide silicon carbide fibers and matrices indicate promise in applications in extreme structural and environmental conditions. The fibers developed are called super Sylramic-iBN and Sylramic-iBN. The researchers asserted that their new materials are superior to several other composites notably metallic super alloys, carbon fiber composites, oxide ceramic composites, and monolithic ceramics. Several manufacturers in the silicon carbide fibers market are seeking new revenue streams from current as well as new areas of applications of ceramic matrix composites.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis on Mining Industry
- Governments of several countries across the globe have imposed stringent lockdowns to limit the spread of the coronavirus. Movement of individuals and economic activities, related to goods and services, has come to a halt because of lockdowns. Silica is a vital raw material used in the production of silicon carbide. Mining operations were temporarily closed as a precautionary measure to limit the spread of coronavirus. Temporary closure of mining operations adversely impacted the extraction of silica sand. This, in turn, hampered the production of silicon carbide fibers.
Silicon Carbide Fibers Market Segmentation
- The global silicon carbide fibers market can be segmented based on form, phase, and end-user industry
- In terms of form, the global silicon carbide fibers market can be divided into continuous, woven cloth, and others
- In terms of phase, the global silicon carbide fibers market can be classified into amorphous and crystalline
- In terms of end-user industry, the global silicon carbide fibers market can be segregated into aerospace, defense, power, mechanical, and others
Silicon Carbide Fibers Market: Regional Segmentation
- In terms of region, the global silicon carbide fibers market can be split into Middle East & Africa, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe, and North America
- In terms of revenue, North America has been contributing significantly to the global silicon carbide fibers market due to the rise in demand for these fibers in general and commercial aviation, and defense industries. Sizable investments made by the defense and nuclear industry on leveraging the potential of high-performance composites in high-temperature applications have also augmented the potential of the silicon carbide fibers market in North America.
Key Players Operating in Global Market
Global Silicon Carbide Fibers Market: Research Scope
- COI Ceramics Inc.
- Matech Solutions
- Suzhou Saifei Group
- BJS Ceramics GmbH
- NGS Advanced Fibers Co., Ltd
- Volzhsky Abrasive Works
- Calix ceramic solutions
- Grindwell Norton ltd
- Triveni Interchem Pvt. Ltd.
- Insanco inc
- Aremco Products, Inc.
Global Silicon Carbide Fibers Market, by Form
- Woven Cloth
Global Silicon Carbide Fibers Market, by Phase
Global Silicon Carbide Fibers Market, by End-user Industry
Global Silicon Carbide Fibers Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!