SiC Power Market - Overview
Today, the most widely used material for power semiconductors is silicon. Silicon is inexpensive to produce and the technology is well understood. However, there are other materials, the so called compound power semiconductors, such as Silicon Carbide and gallium-nitride that are much more efficient conductors of electricity. This means that less energy is lost through heat in any power conversion process which has the added benefit of reducing the need to have expensive cooling systems as well as lowering the size and weight of the power electronics unit. Silicon Carbide combines silicon (Si) and carbon (C) having unique electrical characteristics that allow to build high performance semiconductors for various applications.
SiC power devices have emerged as the most viable candidate for next-generation, low-loss semiconductors due to its low ON resistance and superior high-temperature, high-frequency, and high-voltage performance when compared to silicon. SiC also allows designers to use fewer components, further reducing design complexity. ROHM is at the forefront in the development of SiC power devices and modules that offer improved power-savings in applications across a number of industries.
A Silicon Carbide power module is a power module that uses a Silicon Carbide semiconductor as switches. A Silicon Carbide power module is used to transform electrical power, which is the product of current and voltage with high conversion efficiency. The use of SiC power semiconductors is expected to grow exponentially due to its crucial efficiency characteristics that enables cost reductions while at the same time improving system performance in a variety of applications such as EV chargers, solar inverters, e-mobility, and motor drives.
SiC Power: Introduction
- SiC (Silicon Carbide) is a semiconductor material made up of a combination of silicon and carbon.
- SiC has several characteristics such as higher breakdown electric field strength, lower thermal expansion, wider band gap, and high resistance to a chemical reaction.
- SiC power finds extensive application in power grid devices, flexible AC transmission systems, high-voltage, direct current systems, power supplies and inverters, RF devices & cellular base stations, lighting control systems, electronic combat systems, EV motors, wind turbines, solar power systems, and others
Rise in Demand for 4 Inch Wafer Size
- The 4 inch wafer size segment is likely to be the fastest growing segment and hold dominant share of the global SiC power market during the forecast period.
- 4 inch silicon carbide wafers are used in various devices such as optoelectronics devices, high power devices, high-temperature devices, and high-frequency power devices, which boosts the demand for 4 inch wafer size in the market.
- The EV motors application segment holds second largest share of the global SiC power market due to the increasing use of silicon carbide-based semiconductor device implementation in industrial and commercial motor drives, electro-mechanical computing systems, and high-temperature sensors.
- In February 2020, Infineon Technologies AG launched CoolSiC MOSFETs with 650 V. The company aims to meet the growing demand for energy efficiency, power density, and robustness in a wide range of applications.
- In January 2020, STMicroelectronics signed a contract with SiCrystal, a ROHM Group company. Under this contract, the company has to supply SiC wafers to SiCrystal.
- Some of the restraints of the SiC power market are a decrease in demand from end-users, shortage of raw materials, and disruptions in the supply chain due to COVID-19.
For Right Perspective & Competitive Insights on SiC Power Market, Request for a Sample
Asia Pacific to Lead the SiC Power Market
- In terms of region, the global SiC power market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East & Africa, and South America.
- Asia Pacific is expected to witness the fastest growth in the SiC power market during the forecast period due to increasing demand from countries such as Japan, China, Taiwan, Indonesia, South Korea, and India.
- Asia Pacific is the largest producer and consumer of consumer electronics due to which demand for SiC power is rapidly increasing in the APAC region.
- Furthermore, the region is one of the significant automotive and EV markets around the world. China has the largest market of electric vehicles, which also propels the growth of the SiC power market.
- North America holds the second largest share of the SiC power market due to initiatives taken by several governments in the North America region to promote the use of electric vehicles.
- The SiC power market in Europe is expected to expand at a substantial rate during the forecast period due to the rising demand for SiC power. On the other hand, the market in Middle East & Africa, and South America is estimated to expand at a moderate pace during the forecast period.
Key Players Operating in the Global SiC Power Market
The global SiC power market was highly fragmented in 2019. Major players operating in the global market are focusing on technological advancements and expansions to meet the rising demand for SiC power. Moreover, manufacturers are undertaking mergers and acquisitions for the development of innovative products.
Key players operating in the global SiC power market include:
- Infineon Technologies AG
- CREE, INC.
- ROHM Co., Ltd.
- STMicroelectronics N.V.
- Fuji Electric Co., Ltd.
- ON Semiconductor Corporation
- General Electric
- Renesas Electronics Corporation
- GeneSiC Semiconductor Inc.
- Microchip Technology Incorporated
- Toshiba Corporation
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report
Global SiC Power Market: Research Scope
Global SiC Power Market, by Product
Global SiC Power Market, by Wafer Size
- 2 Inch
- 4 Inch
- 6 Inch and Above
Global SiC Power Market, by Application
- Power Grid Devices
- Flexible AC Transmission Systems (FACTs)
- High-Voltage, Direct Current Systems (HVCDs)
- Power Supplies and Inverters
- RF Devices & Cellular Base Stations
- Lighting Control Systems
- Electronic Combat Systems
- EV Motor
- Wind Turbines
- Solar Power Systems
Global SiC Power Market, by End-use Industry
- Energy & Power
- Renewable Power Generation
- Power Electronics
Disclaimer: This ongoing market research study is a meticulously planned activity where a broad array of factors and aspects that shape the marketing environment and industry are taken into account. However, keeping in mind the constantly changing nature of business dynamics and changing strategic intents, we are always actively making iterations and modifications in our approaches. As always, we are ready to tailor our insights and guidance to suit your requirements. Engage with us to know what more is there for your CXOs.