Shape memory alloys can be defined as alloys that get back to their original shape when deformed. These alloys are light weight and are alternatives to conventional actuators such as pneumatic, motor-based, hydraulic systems. Actuators can be defined as materials that can change stiffness, natural frequency, shape, position, and other mechanical properties in response to electromagnetic fields or temperature. The potential uses of shape memory alloys as actuators has broadened the spectrum of various scientific fields. First discovered in 1951, these alloys were publicized after the discovery of the nickel-titanium alloy in 1963. Nickel-titanium alloy or Nitinol is the most successful of all shape memory alloys. Other shape memory alloys include copper-zinc-aluminum, iron-manganese-silicon, and copper-aluminum-nickel alloys. Shape memory alloys have two stable phases: the high temperature phase called austenite, and low temperature phase called martensite. The former is symmetric, while the latter is less symmetric. Phase transformation occurs either mechanically or thermally.
Usage of these alloys in diverse applications has made them important and visible to the world. Shape memory alloys are employed in automotive, biomedical, robotics, and aerospace applications. They are also used in numerous other applications in bioengineering fields such as dental wires, reinforcements for arteries and veins, and bones reinforcement. Furthermore, shape memory alloys are employed in fire security and protection systems, anti-scalding protection, and manufacture of golf clubs, helicopter blades, eyeglass frames, tubes, wires, and ribbons. Based on application, the market for shape memory alloys can be segmented into automotive, robotics, aerospace, telecommunication, civil structures, medicine, and others. The medicine segment can be further divided into optometry, orthopedic surgery, dentistry, and others.
The market for shape memory alloys is anticipated to witness significant growth during the forecast period owing to the large number of applications in various end-user industries. Application of these alloys in safety devices such as anti-scalding and fire sprinklers is expected to boost the market in the near future. Anti-scalding valves made from these alloys can be used in water faucets and shower heads, as they automatically shut off the water flow after a certain temperature. Delay in response time is the primary disadvantage of shape memory alloy based fire sprinklers. The aerospace application segment accounted for significant share of the shape memory alloys market in 2016. It is anticipated to continue its leading position during the forecast period. Shape memory alloys are employed in aerospace applications owing to their beneficial properties such as wear resistance, high mechanical strength, light weight, fatigue resistance, and high elasticity. However, certain factors are estimated to hamper the shape memory alloys market during the forecast period. High cost of these alloys and sensitivity of the material properties during fabrication are the restraining factors of the market.
In terms of geography, North America held the major share of the shape memory alloys market in 2016. The market in the region is projected to witness strong growth during the forecast period. Expansion in the aerospace industry is the key factor driving the market for shape memory alloys in North America. Extensive research and development in the field of bioengineering is another factor boosting the market. The shape memory alloys market in North America was followed by that in Asia Pacific and Europe in 2016. Presence of strong automotive and other manufacturing industries is the prominent factor driving the shape memory alloys market in Asia Pacific. Low cost of production owing to the easy availability of raw materials and cheap labor is another factor augmenting market growth in the region.
Key players operating in the shape memory alloys market are Fort Wayne Metals, Allegheny Technologies Incorporated, EUROFLEX GmbH, Memry Corporation, and DYNALLOY, Inc.
This intelligence report by TMR is the outcome of intense study and rigorous assessment of various dynamics shaping the growth of the market. TMR nurtures a close-knit team of analysts, strategists, and industry experts who offer clients tools, methodologies, and frameworks to make smarter decisions. Our objective, insights, and actionable analytics provide CXOs and executives to advance their mission-critical priorities with confidence.
The scrutiny of the various forces impacting the dynamics of the market, and key and associated industries, guides enterprises in understanding various consumer propositions. Our clients leverage these insights and perspectives to enhance customer experience in the fast-paced business environment.
All our insights and perspectives are broadly based on 4 Pillars or Stages: ASBC-S, which offer an elaborate and customizable framework for the success of an organization. The essence and the roles of these in organizational successes are highlighted below:
- Agenda for CXOs: TMR, through the study, sets the tone for agendas that are pertinent to CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and other CXO executives of businesses operating in the market. The perspectives help our clients to bridge the gap between agenda and action plan. TMR strives to offer guidance to CXOs to undertake mission-critical activities empowered by various business analysis tools, and boost the performance of the organizations. The perspectives guide you to decide on your own marketing mix that align well with the policies, visions, and mission.
- Strategic Frameworks: The study offers how organizations are setting both short-term and long-term strategic plans. Our team of experts collaborate and communicate with you to understand these to make your organizations sustainable and resilient during tough times. The insights help them decide sustainable competitive advantage for each business units.
- Benchmarking for Deciding Target Markets and Brand Positioning: The assessments in the study provides a scrutiny of marketing channels and marketing mix. Our various teams work synergistically with you to help identify your actual and potential direct, indirect, and budget competition areas. Additionally, the study helps you decide most effective budgets for various processes and promotional activities. Furthermore, the study guides you to set benchmarks for integrating people and processes with the 4Ps of marketing. Eventually, this will empower you to find out unique propositioning strategies and niches.
- Business Composability for Sustainability (C-S): Constant strategy planning for sustainability characterizing our C-S framework in the report has become more relevant than before in the face of disruptions caused by pandemics, recessions, boom and bust cycles, and changing geopolitical scenario. The TMR study offers a high level of customization to help you achieve business composability. Composable enterprises are increasingly gaining the attention of CXOs in order to help them combat market volatility. Our analysts and industry experts help you wade through such uncertainties and guide you to become a smart sustainable business in entirety.
The study presents scrutiny of region-specific consumer and technology trends, including the most recent industry dynamics. These broadly cover but not limited to
- North America, South America, and the Americas
- Asia Pacific and Japan
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The study offers data-driven insights and guidance of several aspects. Some of the more notable questions are:
- What are the major recent trends that can influence the product life cycle and the RoI?
- Which regulatory trends shape corporate-level, business-level, and functional-level strategies?
- Which micromarketing initiatives of leading players will bring in investments?
- What can be the best framework and tools for PESTLE analysis?
- Which regions will witness rise in new opportunities?
- Which are the game-changing technologies being used to capture new revenue streams in the near future?
- Which operational and tactical frameworks are being adopted by various players in gaining customer loyalty?
- What is the current and expected intensity of competition the market in the near future?
Disclaimer: This market research study is an ongoing effort and extreme care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy at all stages. However, in the light of the rapidly evolving business dynamics, some region-specific or other segment-specific changes may take time to be part of the study.