COVID-19 Impact on Self-Healing Hydrogels Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 214 countries and territories around the world.
- Several governments and private sector businesses are operating at a limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic
- Manufacture of various consumer goods and other products across the globe came to a halt due to the unavailability of raw materials, shortage of labor, etc. This is expected to hamper the self-healing hydrogels market.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Self-healing Hydrogels Market
- Self-healing hydrogels are primarily used in medical infrastructure. Gels and its potential applications have become a part of the technology of active research. Their mechanical, structural, and rheological properties make them suitable for self-healing the wounds. The feature of a self-healing hydrogel is the ability to change the structure, color, and properties according to environmental changes. This is driving the global self-healing hydrogels market.
- High demand for effective wound care devices accompanied by growing cases of critical injuries and wounds across the globe is also boosting the market. Increase in application scope of these gels owing to the continuous research and developments efforts as well as rapid increase in the applicable markets and industries are likely to drive the demand for self-healing hydrogels during the forecast period.
- Technological advancements in gel technologies are also immensely impacting the self-healing hydrogels market. These gels have wide applications in wound dressing, as they possess excellent properties. The ubiquitous properties including adequate flexibility, high sensitivity to the physiological environment, and hydrophilic nature of the material, make them highly preferable in biomedical applications. Thus, demand for self-healing hydrogels is high in the health care sector. This is likely to propel the global self-healing hydrogels market.
Self-Healing Hydrogels: Type Segment
- In terms of type, the global self-healing hydrogels market can be divided into chemical crosslinking and physical crosslinking
- The physical crosslinking segment is projected to hold major share of the global self-healing hydrogels market during the forecast period. Physical crosslinking with metallic ions results in a stronger hydrogel. Physical crosslinked hydrogels are formed by molecular entanglements, and/or secondary forces including ionic, H-bonding, or hydrophobic forces.
- The chemical crosslinking segment is projected to follow the physical crosslinking segment during the forecast period. Chemical crosslinked hydrogels are produced by grafting functional monomers into the polymer network or using a crosslinker to couple the two polymer chains.
Self-Healing Hydrogels: Application Segment
- Based on application, the global self-healing hydrogels market can be segmented into tissue engineering and regeneration, polymer scaffold, drug delivery system, sealant, and others
- The drug delivery system segment is projected to gain higher share of the global market during the forecast period. Soft self-healing hydrogels with shear-thinning properties are used in cell/drug delivery and 3D printing due to injection through narrow needles and retention at target sites.
- The tissue engineering and regeneration segment is also projected to hold key share of the global self-healing hydrogels market in the near future. Self-healing hydrogels have been used as one of the most common tissue engineering scaffolds over the past two decades due to their ability to maintain a distinct 3D structure, provide mechanical support for cells in engineered tissues, and simulate the native extracellular matrix. They are also used in skin regeneration and have shown promising results such as fibroblast and keratinocyte proliferation. This is expected to drive the global self-healing hydrogels market during the forecast period.
North America to Hold Leading Share of Self-Healing Hydrogels Market
- In terms of region, the self-healing hydrogels market can be segregated into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America is expected to hold major share of the global self-healing hydrogels market, followed by Asia Pacific and Europe, during the forecast period. This can be attributed to the presence of several key players in the region. Key players in North America such as Cardinal Health and Cytogel Pharma are investing in R&D activities, signing patent license agreements, and launching new products based on polymers and resins catering to wide range of applications. Moreover, advancements in medical & pharmaceutical industry and increase in medical expenditure are some of the major factors boosting the self-healing hydrogels market in North America.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Self-Healing Hydrogels Market
The self-healing hydrogels market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the self-healing hydrogels market include:
- Teijin Aramid
- Akzo Nobel N.V.
- Covestro AG
- Evonik Industries AG
- Autonomic Materials Inc.
- Arkema Group
- Cardinal Health
- Cytogel Pharma
Self-Healing Hydrogels: Research Scope
Self-Healing Hydrogels Market, by Type
- Chemical Crosslinking
- Physical Crosslinking
Self-Healing Hydrogels Market, by Application
- Tissue Engineering and Regeneration
- Polymer Scaffold
- Drug Delivery System
Global Self-Healing Hydrogels Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Self-Healing Hydrogels: Introduction
- Self-healing hydrogels are a type of special polymer products, which have the capability to heal them when the bonds present within the polymer chain are broken. They help get new bonding among these polymer chains. They also have high water content and a structure similar to a net, which develops the capacity to attain elasticity in its structure.
- Self-healing hydrogels with shear-thinning properties can be potentially used as vehicles for drug/cell delivery or bio-inks for 3D printing by reversible sol-gel transitions. Therefore, self-healing hydrogels have received rapidly growing attention as biomedical materials in recent years.
This upcoming business intelligence report is intended to be a one-stop market research solution to guide organizations in taking timely and effective decisions for their business growth. The ongoing study is the culmination of our deep expertise on data science methods, combined with an unparalleled understanding of the external environment and analysis of the industries. Each of the reports by TMR aims at offering a detailed scrutiny of the value chain of our current and prospective customers, takes them from identifying value propositions, and subsequently assist their business executives to implement right strategies to create customer value. We believe that creating and sustaining the customer value is the key pivot on which business executives can create profits for their organizations and increase the market shares, continuously and with sustainability.
Each of our touchpoints through which we engage with the organization/enterprise during the primary research enables us to understand the internal environment it operates in and the ways in which the external environment influences its growth.
Always Evolving with Competition
Excellence is built into the DNA of TMR, and all our teams work collaboratively and committedly toward achieving that in whatever they do. From the very first interaction our teams of research analysts have with any interested market participant to the final preparation processes in each of our reports reflects a rigorous understanding of the dynamic industry environment that businesses operate in.
We relentlessly work to be a differentiator in whatever we do in the current era of hypercompetitive global environment. The result of our unceasing focus on excellence is reflected clearly in the insights and guidance we offer to our customers in order to empower them to create brand equity. Our simple yet very powerful underpinning for navigating the competition is to always keep evolving with changing business environments. Our close-kinit team of research analysts not only believe in this simple philosophy but also implement the same.
Constantly Innovating Our Research Methodologies and Models
We do not limit with any specific market research tool or one standard approach for obtaining or analyzing data. Undoubtedly, our report making process is ever-evolving to meet the customer needs and demands supported broadly by a vast knowledge of data science methods that we combine with business acumen our teams have built upon for several years. Evidently, our primary and secondary research data about customers and consumers have shown that we can go to any lengths to obtain them. This is followed by applying next-gen automation tools integrated with human judgement to clear the clutter, ascertain the most relevant and recent qualitative and quantitative insights, and package them in digestible chunks in our reports for our customers.
We Take Pride in No-One-Size-Fits-All Approach
Over the past several years, we have been conducting market intelligence studies across all industries for all types of organizations — big and small, profit and not-for-profit, and Fortune 500 and Unicorns, as we believe that a sound decision making must be based on no-one-size-fits-all approach. Without doubt, each of the organizations regardless of the industry they are in are affected differently by changes in political, economic, socio-culture, legal, ecological, and legal environments. The research models and the value chain analysis process that our analysts employ for conducting the study uphold this approach.
We look at myriad components of internal and external business environment affecting the growth strategies of organizations. Some of the broader aspects that we focus on are:
- Our team of Analysts and Support Teams always strive to see the bigger picture in life cycle stages of any industry
- The Teams focus on obtaining valuable insights into different models of competitive advantage while making an internal environment analysis
- They keep on modifying the value chain analysis processes of organizations to understand on how customer value is created
Some areas of assessing market dynamics that are used in the research models and methodologies adopted by our analysts can be summarized as:
- Corporate and business strategies underlying new brand positioning strategies
- Mapping for strategic planning for business units
- Various metrics for business portfolio analysis, including BCG matrix
- Value chain analysis
These will help create and sustain competitive advantage for our prospects and current customers.
Key focus areas and agenda that underpin and catalyze our primary and secondary research initiatives and endeavors are:
- What are some of the core competencies and distinctive competencies of new entrants and established players in the industry we are analyzing?
- What are some of the branding opportunities that are emerging at a rapid pace?
- What are the major competitive forces and elements of external environment shaping the industry life cycle stages of most organizations?
- Why some competitive strategies are popular than others among leaders in a certain market?
- What customer-based brand equity strategies companies have leveraged in a certain industry or set of related industries in a sector?
- What are some of the key pricing strategies that companies in an industry are implementing for marketing their products internationally?
- Identifying whether market-push or market-pull strategies are more relevant to a certain product or a service?
Disclaimer: This ongoing market research study is a meticulously planned activity where a broad array of factors and aspects that shape the marketing environment and industry are taken into account. However, keeping in mind the constantly changing nature of business dynamics and changing strategic intents, we are always actively making iterations and modifications in our approaches. As always, we are ready to tailor our insights and guidance to suit your requirements. Engage with us to know what more is there for your CXOs.