Seawater Cooling System Market: Introduction
- Seawater cooling system utilizes the cold water available deep in the ocean, river, or lake in order to replace conventional air conditioning and cooling systems, either on a ship or in an establishment
- In vessels or ships, seawater is majorly utilized as a cooling media for engines. Seawater is used as a coolant for heat exchangers in a central cooling system of a vessel or ship. However, freshwater is also used to cool the engine room equipment. Freshwater is further cooled by seawater in the heat exchanger after cooling the engine.
- The central cooling system can be categorized into low-temperature circuit and high-temperature circuit. In a low-temperature circuit, freshwater is cooled by a seawater cooler, while in a high-temperature circuit, freshwater is used to cool the engine room.
- The seawater cooling system is also utilized for district cooling systems in order to provide air conditioning and cold water to residential, commercial, and industrial buildings. High operational costs associated with chillers in a district cooling plant can be reduced by employing the cold water of oceans, rivers, or lakes.
- In district cooling systems, seawater is pumped from the deep end of oceans or rivers. The pumped water is fed into heat exchangers, where freshwater is pumped into a close-loop distribution system. The cooled freshwater is subsequently fed to buildings for air conditioning and cold water applications.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF sample of this report here
Key Drivers of Global Seawater Cooling System Market
- Increase in demand for energy-efficient technologies across the globe is likely to boost the seawater cooling system market during the forecast period. Rapid increase in demand for energy and awareness about energy conservation has resulted in a shift toward adoption of energy-efficient technologies across the globe. The seawater cooling system saves around 90% of the total energy consumed for conventional air conditioning systems. It reduces the dependence upon fossil fuels and subsequently, helps reduce air pollution and global warming. Thus, increase in the demand for energy-efficiency technologies is anticipated to drive the global seawater cooling system market during the forecast period.
- Advantages offered by the seawater cooling system over conventional air conditioning is also a key factor that is expected to drive the global seawater cooling system market during the forecast period. The seawater cooling system has relatively shorter payback period as compared to that of chillers based system. The seawater cooling system also has lower operational costs, as compared to that of modern chiller based plants, due to minimal to nil usage of electricity for cooling.
- Rapid expansion of the marine industry is also anticipated to boost the global seawater cooling system market during the forecast period. Increasing investment in the shipping industry along with rise in trading activities across the globe is likely to fuel the demand for new vessels & ships. These new vessels would be the major consumers of seawater cooling systems in order to cool their engines during voyages. Thus, expansion of the marine industry is a key factor that is anticipated to propel the market in the near future.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report here
Key Developments in Global Seawater Cooling System Market
- In July 2019, Allseas a leading subsea construction, offshore pipeline installation, and heavy lift company acquired Bluerise. The latter is a project developer of Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion (OTEC) technology, which presents a renewable energy solution. Allseas is expected to utilize its expertise in offshore and deep-water technologies in order to advance Bluerise’s OTEC technology and accelerate its implementation for renewable energy projects.
- In April 2018, Ocean Thermal Energy Corporation, a developer of water desalinization and Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion (OTEC) renewable energy projects, announced the acquisition of U.S.-based as well as global synergistic companies. The company wants to expedite the implementation of its renewable based OTEC technology across several regions such as the U.S., Caribbean, Asia Pacific, and eventually across the globe.
- In November 2016, BARDOT Group signed a MoU with Doris Group in order to advance their activities in Marine Thermic Energy industry. Both companies would be working together in order to develop innovative solutions for OTEC and Sea Water Air Conditioning (SWAC) applications.
North America to Lead Global Seawater Cooling System Market
- North America is likely to hold a leading share of the global seawater cooling system market during the forecast period. Increasing investment in district cooling systems along with the presence of a developed marine industry in the U.S. is a major reason for the region’s dominance of the global market.
- Europe and Asia Pacific are anticipated to follow North America in terms of share of the global seawater cooling system market. The market in Asia Pacific is projected to expand at a significant pace during the forecast period, primarily due to the expansion of the marine industry along with a rise in the adoption of district cooling systems in the region, especially in China and ASEAN.
- Latin America and Middle East & Africa accounted for relatively minor shares of the global seawater cooling system market in 2018. However, investments in district cooling systems have been increasing significantly in Middle East & Africa, especially in GCC, in the last few years, with the sub-region emerging as one of the largest hubs for district cooling plants in the world.
Key Players Operating in Global Market
Few of the key players operating in the global seawater cooling system market include:
- Makai Ocean Engineering, Inc.
- Kelvion Holding GmbH
- Ocean Thermal Energy Corporation
- Bardot Ocean
Global Seawater Cooling System Market: Research Scope
Global Seawater Cooling System Market, by Type
- Central Cooling System
- District Cooling System
Global Seawater Cooling System Market, by End-user
- Ships & Vessels
- Others (Including Industrial)
Global Seawater Cooling System Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.