- Scintillators are devices that allow scientists to detect particles and other forms of radiation. A scintillator exhibits scintillation, a property of luminescence, when excited by ionizing radiation. Luminescent materials, when struck by an incoming particle, absorb its energy and scintillate. They re-emit the absorbed energy in the form of light. Scintillators usually comprise water-clear crystalline materials. These scintillators function better if they contain heavy elements, which are more likely to intercept a gamma ray within the material and absorb its energy.
- Scintillators emit a brief pulse of light when hit with an ionizing radiation event (such as an x-ray). The total energy in the pulse of light is directly proportional to the energy of the incident ionizing radiation, thus making it more effective as an energy-dispersive radiation detector, which is useful in spectroscopy. Advantages of scintillators are its ease of sample preparation and ability to carry out more than one labelling experiments simultaneously. Scintillators are subjected to cracking. Additionally, high cost of production and high initial cost of implementation are likely to hamper the scintillators market. The energy transfer process suffers interference. This is also one of the key restraints of the global market. Technological advancements are projected to lead to a decrease in the cost of scintillators.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Scintillators Market
- The scintillators market has developed significantly in the recent years. This can be primarily ascribed to the high performance and increasing recognition of scintillators devices across the globe. Scintillators play an important role in addressing several issues associated with the detection of particles and radiations for health care purpose. Rise in use of scintillators devices in nuclear and other industrial sectors is expected to propel the scintillators market during the forecast period.
- Increase in investments in research and development; and growth in government funding for discovery of new scintillators are expected to create significant opportunities for the scintillators market
Scintillators: Type Segment
- In terms of type, the global scintillators market can be segmented into organic, inorganic, and gaseous
- The organic segment is expected to account for significant share of the global scintillators market during the forecast period. It is anticipated to be followed by the inorganic segment.
Scintillators: Application Segment
- In terms of application, the global scintillators market can be divided into nuclear power plants, industrial, health care, and homeland security
- The nuclear power plants segment is estimated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period. It is projected to be followed by the industrial segment.
- The health care segment is likely to expand at a healthy CAGR during the forecast period, owing to the increase in development of the health care industry
Scintillators: End-product Segment
- In terms of end-product, the global scintillators market can be classified into personal instruments, hand-held instruments, fixed instruments, and installed instruments
- The personal instruments segment is estimated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period. It is projected to be followed by the hand-held instruments segment.
COVID-19 Impact on Scintillators Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 213 countries and territories around the world.
- Several governments and private sector businesses are operating at a limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic
- Manufacture of various consumer goods and other products across the globe has come to a halt due to the unavailability of raw materials, shortage of labor, etc. This is expected to hamper the scintillators market.
North America to Dominate Scintillators Market
- In terms of region, the global scintillators market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America dominated the scintillators market in 2020. This trend is anticipated to continue during the forecast period owing to the change in governmental policies to refurbish its security plans. The scintillators market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand at a rapid pace owing to the rapid growth of the health care sector in emerging countries such as China and India in the region.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Scintillators Market
The global scintillators market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the global scintillators market include:
- Canberra Industries Inc.
- Hamamatsu Photonics K.K.
- Hitachi Metals Ltd.
- Ludlum Measurements Inc.
- Mirion Technologies Inc.
- Radiation Monitoring Devices
- Saint Gobain
- Zecotek Photonics
- Epic Crystals
- Scintacor Ltd.
Global Scintillators Market: Research Scope
Global Scintillators Market, by Type
Global Scintillators Market, by Application
- Nuclear Power Plants
- Industrial Application
- Health Care
- Homeland Security
Global Scintillators Market, by End-product
- Personal Instrument
- Hand-held Instrument
- Fixed Instrument
- Installed Instrument
Global Scintillators Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Disclaimer: This ongoing market research study is a meticulously planned activity where a broad array of factors and aspects that shape the marketing environment and industry are taken into account. However, keeping in mind the constantly changing nature of business dynamics and changing strategic intents, we are always actively making iterations and modifications in our approaches. As always, we are ready to tailor our insights and guidance to suit your requirements. Engage with us to know what more is there for your CXOs.