Robotic surgery offers several benefits such as shorter hospital stays, more rapid recovery, less post-operative pain, and a lower risk of infections as compared to open surgery. All these patient benefits along with better decision-making ability and greater precision from the surgeon’s viewpoint have led to rapid adoption of robotic surgical systems. For instance, the installed base of the da Vinci surgical system introduced by Intuitive Surgical, Inc., a pioneer in robotic surgical systems, has increased from 2,966 systems by the end of 2013 to 4,409 systems by the end of 2017.
The global robotic surgical procedures market can be segmented based on type of clinical application, type of procedure, system and geography. Based on type of clinical application, the robotic surgical procedures market can be divided into gynecology, urology, general surgery, cardiology, oncology, orthopedics, and others. At present, gynecology, urology, and general surgery account for more than 95% of the total number of robotic surgical procedures performed globally.
In terms of type of procedure, the global robotic surgical procedures market can be divided into hysterectomy, hernia repair, cholecystectomy, prostatectomy, nephrectomy, lobectomy, radiosurgery, joint replacement surgery, and others. Hysterectomy, hernia repair, and cholecystectomy are the most common procedures performed by using robotic surgical systems. In the U.S., minimally invasive surgeries (MIS), which include robotic surgery, laparoscopic surgery, and vaginal approach, account for around 80% of the total number of hysterectomy procedures.
In terms of system, the global robotic surgical procedures market can be segregated into procedures conducted by using da Vinci systems, CyberKnife systems, Renaissance systems, Rosa, MAKO surgical robots, and others. The penetration of the da Vinci system, which was the first robotic surgical system approved by the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (U.S. FDA) in 2000, is significantly higher than other systems, which have been launched recently.
Based on region, the global robotic surgical procedures market be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. The installed base of robotic surgical systems is the highest in North America, followed by Europe. However, Asia Pacific witnesses the highest rate of annual growth in unit shipments. The U.S. accounted for around 65% of the global installed bases of da Vinci surgical systems in 2017.
From the perspective of manufacturers of robotic surgical systems, key players operating in the robotic surgical procedures market include Intuitive Surgical, Inc., Stryker Corporation, Accuray Incorporated, and Mazor Robotics. From the perspective of health care providers performing robotic surgical procedures, key private hospital groups operating in the robotic surgical procedures market are Ramsay Health Care, IHH Healthcare Berhad, Apollo Hospitals Enterprise Ltd, China Resources Phoenix Healthcare Holdings Company Limited, Helios, Community Health Systems, Hospital Corporation of America, Ascension Health, and Tenet Healthcare.
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Robotic Surgical Procedures Market segments and sub-segments
- Robotic Surgical Procedures Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Robotic Surgical Procedures Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.