Resorbable Polymers: Introduction
- Resorbable polymers are polymers that completely biodegrade inside the human body without presenting a threat. Resorbable polymers are groundbreaking technological materials that can be broken down by the body and do not require mechanical removal. This allows physicians to reduce the post-surgery risk to the patient and also eliminates the need for a second surgery to remove temporary implants.
- Resorbable materials are used in a wide range of medical indications, such as sutures, coronary & peripheral vascular scaffolds, tissue fixation screws, bone pins & anchors, drug delivery coatings, microspheres, and surgical meshes & matrices. These materials include polymers, metals, ceramics, and glasses of biological origin such as natural collagen, which may allow for drug elution and delivery as well as performance of a mechanical function. Key raw materials used in the production of resorbable polymers include polysaccharides, glycolide, caprolactone, proteins, and lactide.
- Incorporation of 3D printing is expected to be a major factor that is expected to drive the global resorbable polymer market in the next few years. The minute differentiations required in resorbable polymers according to the constitution of various patients and the different circumstances in each case can be incorporated much more easily and reliably with 3D printing.
- The global resorbable polymers market has expanded rapidly over the last few years due to the growth in awareness among patients about resorbable polymers, widespread efforts by governments to upgrade their health care sector, and high disposable income of consumers in developed economies
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Resorbable Polymers Market
- Increase in patient comfort brought about by resorbable polymers is the major driver of the global resorbable polymers market. Conventional materials left in the body post-surgery require another minor surgery to remove these materials. This can lead to health risks to the patient. Resorbable polymers eliminate this factor due to their property of disintegrating into the body over a period of time.
- Rise in demand for resorbable polymers for drug delivery is another key factor driving the global resorbable polymers market. The chemically neutral nature of resorbable polymers and their harmless decomposition in the body make them ideal for drug delivery. Increase in demand for resorbable polymers in the drug delivery segment is expected to be a vital factor that is estimated to boost the during the forecast period.
- On the other hand, resorbable polymers cost more than conventional medical polymers due to their technological sophistication. This is a major restraint of the resorbable polymers market in developing regions, since the overall quality of the health care sector is relatively poor in regions such as Asia Pacific and Latin America.
Resorbable Polymers: Application Segment
- In terms of application, the global resorbable polymers market can be segmented into orthopedics, drug delivery, and others
- Increase in prevalence of orthopedic disorders makes orthopedics the major application segment of the global resorbable polymers market. Orthopedics is expected to remain a major application segment of the global market in the near future despite the increasing demand for resorbable polymers in drug delivery applications.
Covid-19 Impact on Resorbable Polymers Market
- The COVID-19 pandemic is impacting the global economy in three major ways: directly hampering production and demand, creating supply chain and market disruption, and adverse financial impact on firms and financial markets
- The COVID-19 pandemic has had a swift and severe negative impact on globally integrated industries such as the construction and automotive. It has hampered their supply chains significantly. The COVID-19 pandemic is projected to adversely impact manufacturing, distribution, and supply of resorbable polymers in the near future.
North America to Dominate Resorbable Polymers Market
- In terms of region, the global resorbable polymers market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America is anticipated to be the key region of the global resorbable polymers market during the forecast period due to the high level of technological advancement in the health care sector in the U.S. and Canada. Similarly, advanced health care scenario in Europe, particularly Western Europe, is driving the market in the region. However, Asia Pacific is expected to become a major region of the global resorbable polymers market during the forecast period.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Resorbable Polymers Market
The global resorbable polymers market was highly fragmented in 2019. Major players have prominent presence in developing countries. Key manufacturers operating for resorbable polymers in the global market include:
- Poly-Med, Inc.
- KLS Martin Group
- Foster Corporation.
- Evonik Industries AG
- Corbion N.V.
Global Resorbable Polymers Market: Research Scope
Global Resorbable Polymers Market, by Type
- Polylactic Acid
- Polyglycolic Acid
Global Resorbable Polymers Market, by Application
- Drug Delivery
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!