Research Department Explosive (RDX): Introduction
- Explosive is any substance or device that produces a volume of rapidly expanding gas in an extremely brief period. Research department explosive (RDX) is a nitramine explosive compound that can be utilized as a propellant, gunpowder, or high explosive depending on the initiation type.
- RDX is also known as hexogen, or cyclotrimethylenetrinitramine, or cyclonite
- RDX as a military explosive can either be used with explosives, such as TNT, to develop cyclotols that produce bursting charge for mines, torpedoes, and aerial bombs, or it could be employed as a base charge for detonators
- Demand for RDX is expected to be significantly high in non-military applications such as mining, oil & gas exploration, demolition, and avalanche control
Key Drivers of Research Department Explosive (RDX) Market
- Demand for RDX is directly correlated to mining activity. RDX belongs to the ‘high explosives’ category, which is required by the mining industry for rock excavation and exploration undertakings
- Historically, the coal mining segment constitutes the highest demand for research department explosive. However, coal mining output has been declining for the last few years due to increasing efforts by nations to curb carbon dioxide emissions. Demand for RDX is expected to be considerably high in the metal mining segment in the near future. Surge in ore extraction activities across the globe is likely to propel the research department explosive (RDX) market during forecast period.
- Demand for RDX is expected to be significantly high in various military applications such as cast PBX charges for insensitive munitions, melt-cast and pressed explosive ammunition, and energetic charges for LOVA composite propellants. Key uses of RDX in the military pyrotechnics segment include cutting cords, detonators, cap-relay explosives, and boosters.
Research Department Explosive (RDX) Market: Key End-uses
- Based on end-use industry, the global research department explosive (RDX) market can be segregated into military and civilian. The military segment is further split into warheads, artillery, tank and mortar shells, booster material, detonators, military pyrotechnics and others. The civilian segment can be further sub-segmented into fireworks & pyrotechnics, mining, construction and others, such as seismic wave generation and oil fields.
- Of late, a prevalent area of military demand for RDX has been its usage as an ingredient in plastic bonded explosives, which have been used as explosive fill in nearly all types of munition compounds. Adoption of RDX with various explosives, waxes, and oils for developing military munitions is expected to increase at a moderate pace in the near future.
- In case of the civilian applications, RDX has been widely used for demolition of blocks, as an occasional rodenticide, as a heating fuel, and in fireworks
North America to be Key Region of Global Research Department Explosive (RDX) Market
- In terms of region, the global research department explosive (RDX) market can be classified into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Principal consumers of RDX have been the U.S., China, Russia, and a few countries in Latin America. However, North America is projected to account for a major share of the market, in terms of volume, by 2027, particularly due to the increasing demand from military, construction, and mining sectors in the region. Technological developments in the defense and military sectors in North America are estimated to drive the demand for RDX.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Market
The global research department explosive (RDX) market was fragmented in 2019. Key manufacturers operating in the global market include:
- Chemring Group PLC
- BAE Systems
- Austin Powder
- Dyno Nobel
- MAXAM Corp
- Prva Iskra- Namenska A.D.
- Nitro Chem S.A.
- Enaex S.A.
- Nelson Brothers
Global Research Department Explosive (RDX) Market: Research Scope
Global Research Department Explosive (RDX) Market, by End-use
- Artillery, tank and mortar shells
- Booster material
- Military Pyrotechnics
- Fireworks & Pyrotechnics
- Others (Seismic Wave Generation and Oil Fields)
Global Research Department Explosive (RDX) Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa