Market Outlook for Rennet Alternatives
In today’s world, everyone is familiar with cheese, which is available in several different forms and finds its way into various food and beverage applications. Every food item is more delicious when made with cheese. But the way cheese is produced might be an issue for the vegan population. Cheese is produced by an enzyme called rennet, extracted from the stomach of ruminates, which helps in the curdling of milk. The changing lifestyle to include more healthier food products in one’s diet along with the scarcity of ruminant abomasum to stringent laws have forced cheese producers to identify alternative sources of rennet. Rennet alternative is in the market for quite a sometime and demand for rennet alternative is growing, owing to increase in the number of halal and kosher certified products.
Reasons for Covering this Title: Rennet Alternatives Market
An increasing number of individuals, globally are shifting towards vegan diets, owing to various factors such as issues related to social taboo, cultural or religious limitations or restrictions or simply because vegetarian diets have proved to be more beneficial and healthy than non-vegetarian cuisine and products over time. In addition, concerns regarding the humane treatment of animals have also been playing a vital role in this steady shift towards vegan diets. Rennet alternative becomes the best ingredient when it comes to cheese processing, as this cheese remains vegetarian-friendly and the cost of making rennet alternative also remains cheap.
- For instance, according to People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), the vegan population in the U.S has increased significantly from 2 million in 2005 to around 7.5 million in 2011
- 12% of the total vegetarian population in Germany is strictly vegan, driving sales for vegan foods, including cheese produced by rennet alternative
Moreover, halal and kosher is no longer just a purely religious issue. Halal has now become a universal concept and halal products are now coming into the mainstream market, because of which use of rennet alternative is increasing. Halal certified products have expanded from the purview of identity as a specific community product to mass consumer product hence opening new avenues of trade and business for market rennet alternative players.
Global Rennet Alternative: Market Segmentation
On the basis of source, the global rennet alternative market has been segmented as –
- Fermentation-Produced Chymosin (FPC)
On the basis of form, the global rennet alternative market has been segmented as –
- Powder (Granules)
Global Rennet Alternative Market: Key Players
Some of the key players operating in the global rennet alternative market are: Chr. Hansen A/S, Koninklijke DSM N.V., Pfizer International, Danisco A/S, Nelson-Jameson.Inc, Mayasan Food Industries A.S., GlaxoSmithKline plc, AlindaVelco S.A., Österreichische Laberzeugung Hundsbichler GmbH, Biocon Limited, and Novozymes A/S among others.
Global Top 10 Cow Milk Cheese Producing Countries, by Volume (MT), 2014
Source: FAOSTAT, 2016
It is anticipated that the rennet alternative market is dominated by three big players, Chr. Hansen A/S, Koninklijke DSM N.V. and Danisco A/S. In rennet alternative market, Chr. Hansen is the leading producer of Fermentation-Produced Chymosin, a type of rennet alternative.
The global rennet alternative market has evolved on the backdrop of natural rennet and is expected to drive the global rennet alternative market over the forecast period. In the rennet alternative market, Europe is estimated to account for the highest CAGR, owing to increasing demand for vegan food products.
Key Developments Across the Globe for Rennet Alternative Market
- In 2009, Chr. Hansen, launched CHY-MAX M, a fermentation produced chymosin, helped the company enhanced its product portfolio of rennet alternative as well as enhance consumer base.
- In 2013, Hansen, launched HANNILASEXL 205, milk-clotting enzymes widely used in the cheese industry as an alternative to bovine rennet and fermentation produced chymosin, a rennet alternative, in order to enhance its product portfolio for microbial sources based rennet alternative.
Global Rennet Alternative Market: Certification Bodies
Due to lack of any uniform centralized institution, local agencies are still the prime vector for certification of halal products in which rennet alternative based cheese are also present.
The Road Ahead
The advancement in pharmaceutical drug formulation processes, coupled with the ever-expanding biotechnological process continue to create a path for the development of rennet alternative. The rennet alternative market is also anticipated to benefit from the ongoing surge in demand for vegan products, creating more opportunities for growth of the players of rennet alternative market. There are not many regional players those who offer rennet alternative. Thus, companies could focus on manufacturing, expanding, and exporting their products worldwide, resulting in expanding their global presence for rennet alternative market. Therefore, the global rennet alternative market is expected to have a positive outlook over the forecast period.
Brief Approach to Research
The analysis will be done on modelling-based approach and triangulation methodology to estimate data covered in this report. A detailed market understanding and assessment of the types, application and end uses of the product segments covered in the study is followed by carrying out a demand-side approach to estimate the sales of target segments, which is then cross-referenced with a supply-side assessment of value generated over a pre-defined period. The statistics and data is collected at a regional level, consolidated and synthesized at a global level to estimate the overall market sizes.
Key Data Points Covered in the Report
Some of the key data points covered in our report include:
- An overview of the Rennet Alternative market, including background and evolution
- Macroeconomic factors affecting the market and its potential
- Market dynamics, such as drivers, challenges and trends
- Detailed value chain analysis of the market
- Cost structure of the products and segments covered in the study
- In-depth pricing analysis, by key segments, regions and by major market participants
- Analysis of supply and demand, such as top producing and consuming geographies, imports/exports and overall trade scenario
- Analysis of the market structure, including a tier-wise categorization of key market participants
- Competitive landscape of the market, including detailed profiles of the top players in this market
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.