Renewable Drones: Introduction
- Renewable drones are used in aerial inspection and survey. Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) are also known as drones.
- Drones technology is used in wind and solar industries. Drones can help support a greener future, as they can generate electricity by themselves.
- Inspection with renewable drones helps eliminate the need for inspection personnel to work at heights. It also reduces maintenance time, while identifying if a repair needs to take place immediately, or if it can be delayed safely.
- The solar industry has holds immense promise, but suffers from efficiency drops that come with darkness and infrastructure issues, and varying weather conditions. Using aerial insights, solar companies can more easily keep their solar farms operating at peak potential.
- In the wind energy sector, renewable drones are transforming inspections on wind farms around the world. Wind turbines, both onshore and offshore, are left exposed to the elements as they operate. Even minor damage can cause inefficiencies and lead to waste of energy.
Key Drivers of Global Renewable Drones Market
- Rise in concerns about the environment and increase in usage of clean energy substitutes are likely to be key factors driving the global renewable drones market during the forecast period
- The technology is also far cheaper than a manned crew. Thus, wind farms can carry out wind turbine drone inspections with greater regularity to keep operations running at 100%. This is projected to augment the demand for renewable drones in the near future.
- Ambitious national targets, rapid technological advancements, and international agreements have prompted countries across the world to turn toward the renewable energy sector and expand their power infrastructure. This is expected to augment the global renewable drones market between 2020 and 2030.
- In January 2020, Alphabet announced that it is ending its work on Makani, a project that tried to generate power using wind turbines attached to kites. The Makani project has achieved some success during its seven years under the Alphabet umbrella. It developed a 20kW demonstrator kite into a “utility-scale” model that is capable of generating 600kW, and has advantages over traditional offshore wind turbines.
- In April 2019, DroneBase announced that FLIR Systems, Inc. has made a strategic investment in the company, which will help it scale up its thermal imaging services. FLIR would be the exclusive provider of thermal imaging equipment to DroneBase. It would provide training in its products for the DroneBase network of professional drone pilots.
Asia Pacific to Hold Significant Share of Global Renewable Drones Market
- Based on region, the global renewable drones market can be classified into North America, Asia Pacific, Europe, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is expected to be the key region of the global renewable drones market from 2020-2030. High investments in renewable energy generation, especially in developing countries such as China and India, and government subsidies for upgrade of renewable the energy sector are likely to drive the market in the region between 2020 and 2030.
- The European Union (EU) has taken a lead in renewable deployment, with a target of 20% renewables in its overall energy consumption by 2020. Furthermore, the EU countries aim to increase the target to 27% by 2030. Based on the EU Reference Scenario 2016, the share of net renewable electricity generation is projected to rise to 37%, 43%, and 53% by 2020, 2030, and 2050, respectively, in the region. Thus, Europe is expected to hold a large share of the renewable drones market in the near future.
- The renewable drones market in Middle East & Africa is estimated to expand at a significant rate during the forecast period, owing to extensive agricultural land and attempts to reduce the use of fossil fuel energy. Government initiatives for pollution-free and clean energy are also projected to drive the renewable drones market in the region during the forecast period.
- On the other hand, the size of the renewable drones market in the U.S. is expected to double by the end of the forecast period. Renewable energy projects in the U.S. are likely to benefit from multi-year federal tax incentives and several state-level, favorable policies for solar energy in the next few years.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
- The global economy has been hampered by measures put in place to contain the COVID-19 pandemic. The renewable energy industry is also estimated to face immediate challenges due to the COVID-19 pandemic such as difficulty in adhering to the social distancing norms, shortage of manpower, lack of parts & equipment, and discerning expenditure by end-users.
Key Players Operating in Global Market
Some of the major players operating in the global renewable drones market are:
- DJI Enterprise
- Terra Drone
- Cyberhawk Innovations Limited
- ULC Robotics
- Sharper Shape Inc.
- Sky Futures
- Asset Drone
Global Renewable Drones Market, by Type
- Power Device
- RF Power Device
Global Renewable Drones Market, by Application
- Military, Defense& Aerospace
Global Renewable Drones Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!