Use of refractories in specialised construction applications has garnered the attention of the masses in recent times. Researchers have decoded the importance of heat-resistant materials in the constructions industry. Furthermore, the distinct properties of refractories have led scientist to explore its viability in several high-end industries. Therefore, the global refractories market is set to become a goldmine of opportunities in the times to follow. High-temperature applications across the chemical industry require the use of specialised materials. This factor, coupled with the resistance of refractories to chemical attacks, has given a thrust to market growth. The physical applications of refractories also make them suitable for usage across a multitude of industrial operations.
- Availability of various refractory materials has helped key end-users in choosing from a wide portfolio. Silicon carbide and graphite are commonly used across the chemical industry in high-temperature applications. Most refractory materials are binary compounds that are usually available in abundance. Considering these factors, the total revenues within the global refractories market are expected to increase by a sound volume.
- Several methods can be employed for manufacturing refractories, and this is an important consideration for market growth. Dry press processes come in handy in several industries, and the popularity of the former is a distinct dynamic of market growth. Besides, the ease of using the ‘hand-moulded’ technique has also helped towards driving market demand.
- Collective use of refractories and furnaces has several applications in the field of chemical engineering. Moreover, fire bricks are also used in conjunction with refractories. The aforementioned factors have played a decisive role in driving demand within the global market. Metallurgical activities also necessitate the use of refractories, creating room for market growth and maturity. Researchers are making deliberate efforts to explore new applications of various refractories, and this trend shall reap positive results for the market vendors.
Refractories Market: Overview
Refractories or refractory materials are materials made from thermally stable mineral aggregates, additives, and a binder phase. They are nonmetallic, inorganic, heterogeneous, and porous materials that can withstand high temperatures such as 500°C, 1500°C or even more, without undergoing physicochemical changes while still remaining in contact with metals, gases, and molten slag. ASTM International defines refractories as ‘non-metallic materials having chemical and physical properties that make them applicable for structures or as components of systems that are exposed to environments above 538°C.’
Refractories Market: Drivers & Restraints
Refractories are primarily and extensively used in industrial processes, wherein they perform four basic functions. They act as a thermal barrier between a hot medium such as liquid metal, liquid slag, molten salt, or flue gas and walls of the structure containing the medium. They provide strong physical protection and prevent erosion of walls by keeping the hot medium circulated. They offer protection from chemical corrosion. They also act as thermal insulation and ensure heat retention.
Refractory materials are expensive and if they fail to perform their functions properly, considerable loss of production time can occur. Selection of proper refractories is important, as it influences product quality and energy consumption. Accordingly, the best suited refractory is the one that provides the best balance between installation and maintenance cost.
Refractories Market: Key Segments
The global refractories market can be segmented based on type, material, alkalinity, end-user industry, and region. In terms of type, the market can be segregated into specialty refractories and monolithic refractories. Specialty refractories are shaped refractory materials. Bricks are the most common specialty refractories. Refractories can be manufactured in interlocking shapes and wedges; molded or pressed to be used in walls and floors; or even curved to fit inside ladles and boilers. Monolithic refractories are unshaped refractory materials. These refractories do not have any definite form and they are given shape only during their application.
The refractories market can be segmented based on material. A wide range of materials are employed to produce refractories. These include silica, fireclay, magnesia, alumina, dolomite, silicon, zirconia, and carbon. Usually, refractories are tailor-made as per the application. The material is selected depending on several factors such as operating atmosphere, temperature profile, mode of operation, and expected characteristics.
Alkalinity of refractories is decided on the basis of their reaction with slags. Based on alkalinity, the market can be segmented into basic refractories, acidic refractories, neutral refractories, and special refractories. Basic refractories are non-reactive to alkaline slags and used with them. Similarly, acidic refractories are non-reactive to acidic slags and used with them. On the other hand, neutral refractories remain chemically non-reactive to both acidic and alkaline slags, and are used with both.
Refractories Market: Regional Outlook
In terms of end-user industry, the refractories market can be segmented into iron & steel, cement, glass, nonferrous metals, and others. Refractories are used most commonly in the iron & steel industry. In terms of region, the global refractories market can be segmented into North America, Latin America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and Middle East & Africa. China is a major consumer of refractories in the world and is expected to maintain its position during the forecast period.
Refractories Market: Key Players
Some of the leading players in the global refractories market are RHI AG, Saint-Gobain S.A., Vesuvius Plc., and Magnesita Refratarios S.A.
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.