Refined Naphthalene: Introduction
- Refined naphthalene is a white crystalline aromatic powder usually derived from coal tar or petroleum. Refined naphthalene is considered the purest form of naphthalene with minimal amount of sulfur (< 2 ppm) and nitrogen (< 5 ppm) content.
- It has strong odor and sublimes very easily above its melting point. Refined naphthalene is the simplest hydrocarbon compound composed of two benzene rings sharing two adjacent carbon atoms. It is a single most abundant component of coal tar, which is formed by the distillation and fractionation of coal. It accounts for 11% of the dry coal tar. High temperature cracking process is another method used to produce refined naphthalene. Petroleum-derived naphthalene is usually purer than that derived from coal tar.
- Refined naphthalene is primarily used in the production of phthalic anhydride and plasticizing agents for concrete. It is also used in the manufacture of tanning agents, dyestuffs, B-naftol, tetralin, decalin, mothballs, and other compacted products for household use.
Key Drivers of Refined Naphthalene Market
- Refined naphthalene is used as superplasticizer for concrete. It is used in the production of high-strength concrete by reducing cement and water contents without sacrificing strength. Superplasticizers allow more than 30% reduction in water content. Increase in demand for cement concrete with high fluidity properties along with low water requirement is driving the demand for refined naphthalene as superplasticizer. Rise in commercial and residential building projects in various developed and developing countries is another key factor expected to boost the global market.
- Refined naphthalene is primarily employed in the textile industry to keep rodents and insects away from clothes. It is used as a moth ball. The global textile industry has been expanding significantly. This is boosting the demand for refined naphthalene in the global textile market.
- Rise in construction activities of community toilets & public toilets by governments is also boosting the refined naphthalene market. Refined naphthalene is primarily used as fumigant to keep the foul smell away. Through the Swachh Bharat Mission Phase-II, the Government of India is focusing on eliminating open defecation and emphasizing on construction of public toilets for the poor. This scheme is further expected to augment the demand for disinfectants such as refined naphthalene in the next few years.
Key Restraint of Refined Naphthalene Market
- Short-term exposure to refined naphthalene can adversely impact human health through hemolytic anemia and liver damage
- Fluctuation in prices of crude oil and high level of toxicity associated with the use of refined naphthalene can also negatively impact the refined naphthalene market
Covid-19 Impact on Refined Naphthalene Market
- The COVID-19 pandemic has had a severe impact on end-use industries of refined naphthalene. The refined naphthalene market has been facing supply-demand shortages due to the industrial shutdown triggered by the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Disruption in supply of raw materials has hampered the full-scale operations. Supply shortage has also led to a rise in prices of raw materials. This has adversely impacted the refined naphthalene market.
Global Refined Naphthalene Market: Regional Outlook
- In terms of region, the global refined naphthalene market can be split into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific dominated the global market in 2019, owing to the presence of key manufacturers as well as growth in trade activities from China. Rapid expansion of the building & construction industry in Asia Pacific is expected to boost the refined naphthalene market in the region in the near future. Growth in trend of suburbanization across emerging economies of Asia Pacific is driving the refined naphthalene market in the region.
- Countries in Asia Pacific such as China, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand, the Philippines, and India are among the top 20 consumers of cement across the world. Asia Pacific is anticipated to be the largest consumer of refined naphthalene in the near future due to the high consumption of cement in countries in the region.
- North America is also projected to account for key share of the global refined naphthalene market during the forecast period
Key Players Operating in Global Market
Key players operating in the global refined naphthalene market include:
- BASF SE
- Industrial Química del Nalón, S.A
- Himadri Speciality Chemical Limited
- Koppers Inc.
- DEZA a. s.
- Rain Carbon Inc
- Recochem Inc.
- Toronto Research Chemicals
Global Refined Naphthalene Market: Research Scope
Global Refined Naphthalene Market, by Application
- Special Effects and Pyrotechnics
- Chemical Intermediates
Global Refined Naphthalene Market, by End-use
- Construction (Cement)
- Others (Including Pharmaceuticals)
Global Refined Naphthalene Market, by Source
- Coal Tar
Global Refined Naphthalene Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.