Rectal cancer is a malignant disease in which cancer cells form in the tissues of the rectum. The digestive system takes in nutrients from foods consumed by the host and helps waste material pass out of the body through the anus. There are various causes that contribute to the occurrence of rectal cancer such as increasing age (mostly over 50), having certain family history of rectal cancer, history of polyps or colorectal cancer, high-fat diet consumption and smoking. The most common type of rectal cancer is adenocarcinoma and comprises the majority of all the cases relating to rectal cancer. Other rare forms of rectal cancer are lymphoma, carcinoid, and sarcoma. Rectal bleeding, diarrhea, not being able to vacate the bowel completely, constipation, weight loss, bowel obstruction, small diameter tools, abdominal pain and weakness are some of the most common symptoms of rectal cancer. The various stages of rectal cancer are:
- Stage I: Tumor is located in the first or second layer of the rectum wall but have not spread out of the rectum itself.
- Stage II: Tumor spreads in the mesorectum.
- Stage III: Tumor penetrates and spreads in the lymph nodes but not in order parts of the body.
- Stage IV: Tumor spreads to different parts of the body, distant organs and tissues such as the lever or the lungs. It has spread outside the rectal region and stage IV is also known as metastatic rectal cancer stage.
Rectal Cancer Market Segmentation
Based on the diagnosis, the rectal cancer market can be segmented as follows:
- Digital rectal examination (DRE)
- Rigid proctoscopy
- Laboratory tests, i.e., carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA) test, complete blood count etc.
- Screening tests, i.e., stool DNA screening, flexible sigmoidoscopy, computed tomography (CT) colonography
- Imaging tests, i.e., CT scanning of abdomen, endorectal ultrasonography, pelvic magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
Before the treatment of a patient diagnosed with rectal cancer begins, three vital points have to be taken into consideration, i.e., the extent to which the tumor has spread, the involvement of lymph nodes and whether the tumor has spread to different parts of the body or not.
Based on the treatments involved, the rectal cancer market can be segmented as follows:
- Surgery: Radical resection is the most important surgical treatment for rectal cancer. Others include transanal excision, transanal microsurgery, and endocavity radiotherapy.
- Adjuvant medical therapy: Various adjuvant medical management therapies include intraoperative radiation therapy, adjuvant chemotherapy, chemoradiation therapy and radioembolization.
- Antineoplastic agents (for instance, fluorouracil, leucovorin, panitumumab etc.)
- Vaccines (quadrivalent papillomavirus vaccine)
Based on geographical locations, the rectal cancer market can be segmented into four major segments: North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific and Rest of the World (ROW). Out of these four regions, North America dominates the rectal cancer market followed by Europe. The major driving reasons for the growth of rectal cancer market are constantly increasing geriatric population, growing awareness about malignant effects of cancer amongst individuals, and increasing unhealthy lifestyle practices such as smoking and consumption of high fat content food. Asia-Pacific is one of the most lucrative markets for the growth of rectal cancer market and it is continuously growing at a steady rate. The advantageous factors which will contribute towards the augmentation of rectal cancer market in Asia-Pacific are high population density including the geriatric population, rapidly increasing demand for technologically advanced therapeutic treatment, and major government support for improved healthcare infrastructures such as hospitals and clinics.
Various pharmaceutical companies are constantly trying to come up with novel therapeutic drugs and surgeries for the treatment of rectal cancer. Some of the top major players operating in rectal cancer therapeutics market are Eli Lilly and Company, Merck & Co., Inc., Amgen, Inc., Novartis AG, AstraZeneca PLC, Peregrine Pharmaceuticals, Inc., AbbVie, Inc., Nanobiotix, GenVec, Inc.,and many others.
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.