Readout Integrated Circuits (ROIC) Market: Introduction
- The readout integrated circuit (ROIC) is a silicon chip that contains circuits that amplify, integrate, and multiply the charge of weak detectors. ROICs are compatible with different types of detectors such as infrared and ultraviolet. The main purpose of ROIC is to accumulate the photocurrent from each pixel and transfer the resulting signal to the output tap for reading.
- The ROIC has a high speed analog output for transferring pixel data out of the integrated circuit. When a digital output is implemented, the IC is called a digital read integrated circuit (DROIC).
- Digital readout integrated circuits (DROICs) are a class of ROIC that utilize on-chip analog-to-digital conversion (ADC) to digitize the stored photocurrent in each pixel of the imaging array. DROICs are easier to integrate into a system than ROICs, as they reduce package size and complexity; are less sensitive to noise; and they have more bandwidth than analog outputs.
- A digital pixel readout integrated circuit (DPROIC) employs on-chip analog-to-digital conversion (ADC) within each pixel (or small group of pixels) to digitize the stored photocurrent in the imaging array. DPROICs have an even higher bandwidth than DROICs, which can significantly improve the well capacity and dynamic range of the device.
- ROICs are used in applications of infrared image detection, thermal image monitor, foreign object detection, semiconductor testing, hyperspectral imaging, traffic monitoring, etc.
Rising Demand for Readout Integrated Circuits in Aerospace & Defense and Healthcare Industries
- Based on end-use industry, the market can be segmented into healthcare, aerospace & defense, automotive, and others (consumer electronics, industrial, etc.)
- Aerospace & defense and healthcare segments of the global readout integrated circuits (ROIC) market is estimated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period due to an increase in use of ROICs for Infrared image detection, thermal image monitoring, and traffic monitoring
- Advancement in IR imaging systems can help in several applications such as night vision, disaster rescue, homing and tracking, ecology and weather forecasting, surveillance, predictive inspection and maintenance, remote temperature sensing, short range communication, spectroscopy, and medical diagnostic and treatment.
- Presently, use of IR imaging systems is increasing due to their fruitful diverse applications, ranging from medical diagnosis to military surveillance. This is expected to drive the readout integrated circuits (ROIC) market.
North America to Lead Global Readout Integrated Circuits (ROIC) Market
- In terms of region, the global readout integrated circuits (ROIC) market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, South America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America is projected to dominate the global market due to an increase in usage of IR imaging systems as they become important in healthcare, industrial, and automotive applications. Increasing demand for portable infrared imaging applications in the field requires high performance IR focal plane arrays with low-noise, low-power consumption, and high dynamic range ROIC. Innovation in technologies are expected to increase the demand for ROIC.
- The readout integrated circuits (ROIC) market in North America is expected to expand at a high growth rate due to the presence of major players in the region and increased competition among them. The market in Europe and Asia Pacific is likely to expand at a steady pace during the forecast period owing to reduced competition in the market in these regions.
Key Players Operating in Global Read out Integrated Circuits Market
Major players operating in global readout integrated circuits (ROIC) market are focusing on technological advancements and expansions to cater to a rise in the demand for ROICs. Moreover, manufacturers are undertaking mergers and acquisitions for the development of innovative and advanced technologies.
Key players operating in the global readout integrated circuits (ROIC) market include:
- Hamamatsu Photonics K.K
- Teledyne Technologies
- TUMSIS Integrated Electronic Systems, Ltd.
- Teledyne FLIR LLC
- Fraunhofer IMS
Global Read out Integrated Circuits Market: Research Scope
Global Read out Integrated Circuits Market, by Design Type
- Digital Readout Integrated Circuits
- Analog Readout Integrated Circuits
Global Read out Integrated Circuits Market, by Application
- Infrared image detection
- Thermal image monitor
- Foreign object detection
- Semiconductor testing
- Others (hyperspectral imaging, Traffic monitoring, etc.)
Global Readout Integrated Circuits Market, by End-use Industry
- Aerospace and defense
- Others (Consumer electronics, Industrial, etc.)
Global Read out Integrated Circuits Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- South America
- Rest of South America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa