Radiation Shielding Materials Market: Introduction
- Radiation shielding can minimize the effect of radiation by blocking particles through a barrier material. Radiation shielding is a process of directing the effects and level of entrance of radioactive beams, according to the type of radiation involved.
- Radiation protection or radiation shielding is defined by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) as protection of people from harmful effects of exposure to ionizing radiation
- Shielding reduces the intensity of radiation depending on the thickness. The effectiveness of shielding depends on the preventing power of radiation particles, which varies with the type and energy of radiation and the shielding material used.
Key Drivers of Radiation Shielding Materials Market
- Preservation of human safety and structural materials that may be compromised from radiation exposure is a key characteristic of radiation shielding materials
- Increase in usage of nuclear energy, rise in usage of radiation therapy, and growth in usage of nuclear medicines are expected to propel the radiation shielding materials market during forecast period
- High cost associated with radiation shielding equipment is anticipated to hamper the market to some extent in the near future. However, strengthening of regulations and improvement of healthcare infrastructure in emerging countries are likely to create lucrative opportunities for the radiation shielding materials market in the near future.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF sample of this report
Radiation Shielding Materials Market: Product Segments
- Based on product, the global radiation shielding materials market can be divided into ceramicrete, plexiglas, depleted uranium, tin, antimony, tungsten, bismuth, lead, rubber, PVC, and others
- Lead is a common choice for usage in fabricating radiation shielding products. Lead is fabricated into different product forms such as lead glass, lead bricks, and lead wools to provide radiation shielding and protection.
Radiation Shielding Materials Market: Radiation Type Segment
- Based on radiation type, the global radiation shielding materials market can be classified into electromagnetic radiation, particle radiation, acoustic radiation, and gravitational radiation
- Variants of electromagnetic radiation include radio waves, microwaves, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, x-rays, and gamma radiation
- Most prevalent types of particle radiation include alpha radiation, beta radiation, and neutron radiation. Variants of acoustic radiation include ultrasound, sound, and seismic waves.
- Thermal conductivity is an essential factor in selection of a suitable material for shielding against different types of radiations. Consideration for secondary radiation effects from the shield material itself is another crucial factor. Other parameters include acquisition cost, fabrication methods, weight, transportation costs, installation costs, waste involved, and ultimate scrap value of the material.
Radiation Shielding Materials Market: End-use Segments
- Based on end-use, the global radiation shielding materials market can be segregated into diagnostic centers, hospitals, oncology department, nuclear energy plant, radiography centers, and others
- Upward trend in health care spending across the globe, rise in number of diagnostic imaging centers, and increase in awareness about safety among the population are expected to drive the demand for radiation shielding materials in the near future
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
Asia Pacific to be Key Region of Global Radiation Shielding Materials Market
- In terms of region, the global radiation shielding materials market can be split into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is anticipated to lead the radiation shielding materials market due to rise in adoption of radiation therapy, increase in number of hospitals, and surge in awareness about radiation safety in countries such as India and China
Key Manufacturers Operating in Market
The global radiation shielding materials market was highly fragmented in 2018. Key manufacturers operating in the global market include:
- Marshield Radiation Shielding
- Nelco Inc.
- Ray-Bar Engineering Corp.
- Spira Manufacturing
- Sealing Devices Inc.
- Select Fabricators Inc.
- Amray Radiation Protection
- Gaven Industries Inc.
- A&L Shielding
Global Radiation Shielding Materials Market: Research Scope
Global Radiation Shielding Materials Market, by Product
- Depleted Uranium
Global Radiation Shielding Materials Market, by Radiation Type
- Electromagnetic Radiation
- Particle Radiation
- Acoustic Radiation
- Gravitational Radiation
Global Radiation Shielding Materials Market, by End-use
- Diagnostic Centers
- Oncology Departments
- Nuclear Energy Plants
- Radiography Centers
Global Radiation Shielding Materials Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.