COVID-19 Impact on Quaternary Ammonium Chloride Market
- The COVID-19 outbreak has hindered the demand for quaternary ammonium chloride in several applications. Governments of various countries across the globe enforced lockdown measures to curb the spread of the coronavirus. This resulted in slowdown and even halt in manufacturing operations, thus hampering the demand for quaternary ammonium chloride.
- One of the major end-use industries of the quaternary ammonium chloride market is consumer industry. Personal care and household industries are also major end-users of ammonium chloride. These industries were majorly hit due to COVID-19 lockdowns. This created a gap in the supply and demand for quaternary ammonium chloride, thereby restricting its demand.
- The COVID-19 outbreak directly affected the production and demand for quaternary ammonium chloride. Key players operating in the market are located in Asia Pacific and U.S. These regions accounted for large numbers of COVID-19 Infections, leading to long lockdowns. This hampered the supply of quaternary ammonium chloride polymers, thus negatively affecting the market.
Key Drivers of Quaternary Ammonium Chloride Market
- The World Health Organization has dictated the control of antimicrobial resistance, requiring a priority for national governments and health systems, as the people are getting ill and dying of infections caused by antimicrobial-resistant microorganisms. Now, conventional antimicrobial agents are being switched with antimicrobial polymeric materials such as quaternary ammonium chloride, which provides a valid approach in addressing health problems by promoting antimicrobial efficacy and reducing residual toxicity.
- Quaternary ammonium chloride is also used in microfiber wipes, cotton towels, and disposal wipes, as is effective in killing pathogens. It is also commonly used for surface disinfection.
Restraints of Quaternary Ammonium Chloride Market
- Quaternary ammonium chloride causes damage to the aquatic environment and potentially to soil, as quaternary ammonium chloride is commonly used in disinfectants, which are ultimately washed away in drains and finally to the water systems polluting them. Because of their biocidal properties, disinfectant quats are heavily regulated for human and environmental safety around the world.
- Quaternary ammonium chloride is irritating/corrosive to skin at high concentrations and is acutely toxic via oral, dermal, and inhalation exposure routes
Asia Pacific to Constitute Significant Share of Global Quaternary Ammonium Chloride market
- In terms of region, the global quaternary ammonium chloride market can be split into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific dominated the global market in 2020. Asia Pacific is likely to be a prominent market for quaternary ammonium chloride in the near future due to the increase in demand for antimicrobial liquids in the region.
- North America is also a key region of the global quaternary ammonium chloride market. Ammonium chloride is majorly manufactured in the U.S., which contributes to major share of total consumption in North America.
Competitive Landscape of Global Quaternary Ammonium Chloride market
There is not much competition in the quaternary ammonium chloride market, as very few companies operate in the market. Key players are based in the U.S., Asia Pacific, and Japan; and all the production is based out of these countries. Key players are as follows:
- SACHEM, Inc
- Novo Nordisk Pharmatech
- Tatva Chintan
- Taiyuan Sinolight
- Tinci Materials
Global Quaternary Ammonium Chloride market: Research Scope
Global Quaternary Ammonium Chloride Market, by Product Type
- Dodecyl Trimethyl Ammonium Chloride
- Dodecyl Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride
Global Quaternary Ammonium Chloride Market, by End-use Industry
- Fine Chemicals
Global Quaternary Ammonium Chloride Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Quaternary Ammonium Chloride Market Introduction
- Quaternary ammonium chloride is a positively charged polyatomic ion. It is an organic salt classified as a quaternary ammonium compound. Depending on purity, quaternary ammonium chloride ranges from colorless to pale yellow. It is readily soluble in ethanol and acetone.
- Quaternary ammonium chloride also possesses surfactant properties, which make it useful in several tropical formulations for ocular, skin, or nasal applications. Quaternary ammonium chloride is used in consumer applications including antimicrobials, fabric softeners, and hair conditioners.