PVDC Coated Films: Introduction
- PVDC (Polyvinylidene chloride) coated films are used as barrier films to increase the shelf life of packaged products. PVDC coated films restrict the flow of oxygen and water vapor transmission through the packaging. High barrier properties of PVDC coatings enable PVDC coated films to be used for packaging of perishable food products to reduce wastage across the value chain and enhance the shelf life of products. PVDC coated films are largely used to package pharmaceuticals, food, and cosmetics & personal care products.
Key Drivers of Global PVDC Coated Films Market
- Growth of the food packaging industry is driving the PVDC coated films market. Increase in usage of food packaging solutions such as lidding films, pouches & bags, laminates, and wraps across the globe is anticipated to propel the PVDC coated films market during the forecast period. Rise in packaging of meat, poultry, and seafood is also a major driver of the PVDC coated films market in countries in Middle East & Africa.
- Manufacturers of PVDC coated films across the globe are developing chlorine-free alternatives for packaging applications to reduce the environmental impact. Manufacturers are engaged in research activities to develop sustainable alternatives for PVDC coated films.
Polypropylene Type Segment to Dominate the Global Market
- Based on type, the polypropylene segment is expected to dominate the PVDC coated films market during the forecast period. Polypropylene possesses properties such as superior gas barrier, good tensile strength, improved optical properties, and high heat sealing performance. These properties make polypropylene PVDC coated films suitable for applications such as packaging of snacks and cigarettes.
Food & Beverages End-use Industry Segment to Dominate Global Market
- In terms of end-use industry, food & beverages industry is a key segment of the PVDC coated films market. PVDC and acrylic coated films are employed widely in the food & beverages industry for packaging, labelling, and other applications. This is expected to drive the PVDC coated films market during the forecasted period.
- Single-sided coated PVDC films are majorly used in food & beverage packaging applications
High Capital Investment to Hamper Market
- PVDC coated films require high capital for manufacturing in comparison to other non-coated films. This is because of the costs incurred by the multiple processes associated with the production of these films. Achieving the correct coating thickness is also important in the case of PVDC coated films and acrylic coated films. A change in thickness might lead to improper functioning. These films are available with a wide range of thickness and sealing temperature, which makes them expensive in comparison to other coated films. This is likely to hamper the market in the near future.
COVID-19 Impact on PVDC Coated Films Market
- The global COVID-19 pandemic has led to restrictions in manufacturing activities across the globe, thus affecting the demand for various products such as packaging materials including PVDC coated films.
- Contrary to the trend prevalent in the industry in general, certain segments of the market such as food & beverage and health care are witnessing a surge in demand in PVDC coated films
- Easing of restrictions and revival of economic activities in the consumer goods market space indicate the recovery of the demand for PVDC coated films
Asia Pacific to Hold Significant Share of Global PVDC Coated Films Market
- In terms of region, the global PVDC coated films market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is anticipated to account for major share of the global market by 2031. Emerging economies such as South Korea, India, China, and Indonesia are projected to witness strong economic growth over the next few years. Increase in population and improvement in standard of living are expected to boost the food & beverages industry, thereby driving the PVDC coated films market in the region.
- Growth in production of packaging products and laminations is also anticipated to augment the demand for PVDC coated films in Asia Pacific
- Increase in demand for packaged food in North America and Europe is anticipated to boost the market in these regions in the near future. PVDC coated films offer excellent barrier to oxygen, aroma, and gas. These properties make them useful in the packaging of products such as biscuits, wafers, meat, cheese, and drugs.
Key Players Operating in the Market
Companies are likely to invest significantly in research & development activities. Collaborations are also scheduled to emerge as one of the strategic initiatives used by companies engaged in new product development. Capacity expansion and new product launches are prevalent in the industry. Key players operating in the global PVDC coated films market include:
- B.C. Jindal Group
- Cosmo Films Ltd.
- Vibac Group S.p.A.
- SKC, Inc.
- Vacmet India Ltd.
- Mondi Group Plc
- Innovia Films
- SRF Limited
- Polinas Corporate
- Kureha Corporation
Global PVDC Coated Films Market: Research Scope
Global PVDC Coated Films Market, by Type
- Polypropylene (PP)
- Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET)
- Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC)
Global PVDC Coated Films Market, by Coating Side
Global PVDC Coated Films Market, by Application
Global PVDC Coated Films Market, by End-use Industry
- Food & Beverages
- Personal Care
- Health Care
Global PVDC Coated Films Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!