PVC Stabilizers: Introduction
- Stabilizers are added to PVC to allow its processing and improve resistance, especially in outdoor applications. Weathering and heat aging play an important role in the physical properties of PVC finished articles.
- Process technology involved, technical requirements of PVC end-products, regulatory requirements, and costs influence the choice of the stabilizer used
- Stabilizers are used for extrusion and injection molding of rigid and plasticized PVC
Types of PVC Stabilizers
- PVC stabilizers are broadly divided into calcium, tin, mixed metal, lead, and organic based on their mode of action on the stabilization of PVC during the degradation process
- Calcium-based stabilizers are largely used in wires and cables, window and technical profiles, and any types of pipes as well as corresponding fittings
- Tin compounds are largely used in the stabilization of PVC. Contrary to North America, where tin systems are largely used for almost all rigid PVC applications, tin compounds in Europe are primarily employed for rigid, transparent applications where rigorous processing conditions require outstanding stabilization.
- Liquid mixed metal stabilizers are used in several PVC flexible applications such as calendared films; extruded profiles; injection molded products, soles, and footwear; extruded hoses and plastisols (flooring, wall covering, artificial leather, coated fabrics, and toys)
Application of PVC Stabilizers
- PVC stabilizers are majorly used in wires and cables, window and technical profiles, and any type of pipes such as soil and sewer pipes, foam core pipes, pressure pipes, corrugated pipes, land drainage pipes, and cable ducting
- Tin stabilizers are approved for usage in food contact and potable water applications. Some tin stabilizers are approved for usage in rigid medical applications. Examples of applications where tin stabilizers are widely used are calendared films for pharmaceutical or food packaging, foils such as credit cards, sheets and sidings, extruded pipes and profiles, extruded blown films, injection molding fittings, and other technical articles.
COVID-19 Impact on Global PVC Stabilizers Market
- The global coronavirus outbreak is expected to pose severe challenges to the global PVC stabilizers market. PVC stabilizers are primarily used in the manufacture of pipes & fittings. Therefore, contraction in the building & construction industry is likely to hamper the PVC stabilizers market in the near future. Extension of the lockdown in various countries across the world has led to supply chain disruptions. This, in turn, is anticipated to adversely affect the market in the near future.
Asia Pacific to Hold Major Share of Global PVC Stabilizers Market
- In terms of region, the global PVC stabilizers market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- In terms of volume, Asia Pacific dominated the global PVC stabilizers market in 2019. This can be ascribed to growth in the gasoline sector in developing countries such China and India in the region.
- Europe is anticipated to create lucrative opportunities for the PVC stabilizers market due to the increase in usage of these stabilizers in various applications in the region
- The PVC stabilizers market in Latin America and Middle East & Africa is projected to expand at a sluggish pace during the forecast period
Key Players Operating in Global Market
- The global PVC stabilizers market is fragmented, with players focusing on incorporating advanced technologies to gain higher share. These players offer a complete portfolio of products; and focus on different business strategies to strengthen their position.
Prominent players operating in the global PVC stabilizers market include:
- BASF SE
- Arkema SA
- Baerlocher GmbH
- Kisuma Chemicals
- Adeka Corporation
- Italmatch Chemicals S.p.A.
Global PVC Stabilizers Market: Research Scope
Global PVC Stabilizers Market, by Type
- Mixed Metal
Global PVC Stabilizers Market, by Application
- Pipes & Fittings
- Window Profiles
- Rigid & Semi-rigid Films
- Wires & Cables
- Coatings & Flooring
Global PVC Stabilizers Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa