Pumped Hydro Storage Plant Market: Introduction
- Pumped hydro storage plants are employed to meet the peak load energy requirements and for load stabilization of the grid. A pumped hydro storage system consists of two water reservoirs located at different elevations. During times with peak demand, the water stored in the upper reservoir is utilized to run turbines in order to generate electricity. During times with low demand (generally, at night when the price of electricity is low), electricity from the grid is utilized to pump the water back, restoring the upper reservoir.
- The system manages excess generation capacity, supporting the integration of renewables along with efficient and reliable functioning of the grid
- With countries across the globe focusing on energy storage, pumped hydro storage has become a highly sought-after energy storage solution. Moreover, pumped hydro storage is currently the only energy storage solution feasible for deployment at a very large scale.
Is something restraining your company’s growth in the Pumped Hydro Storage Plant Market? Ask for the report brochure here
Key Drivers and Restraints of Pumped Hydro Storage Plant Market:
- Demand for renewable energy sources is gaining momentum across the globe. Several governments across the globe have already implemented programs and policies that are designed to support renewable energy. Additionally, stringent government regulations regarding greenhouse gas emissions and targets set for renewable energy installation are also driving the market.
- Rising investments in developing sustainable storage technologies along with ongoing energy efficiency norms are also expected to augment the market in the next few years
- However, ecological constraints including disturbance and damage to the aquatic ecosystem and habitat loss near the site of installation may hinder the pumped hydro storage plant market in the near future
Open-loop Pumped Hydro Storage Plant and Peak Shaving Segments to Witness Attractive Opportunities:
- The global pumped hydro storage plant market can be segmented in terms of system, application, and region
- Based on system, the market can be divided into open-loop pumped hydro storage plant and closed-loop pumped hydro storage plant. In closed-loop plants, power is produced only from the water that has been previously pumped to the upper reservoir. There is no significant inflow of water into either of the reservoir. In the other system, the upper or lower reservoir is continuously connected to a naturally flowing water. Some open-loop projects can have significant natural inflows into the upper reservoir, implying that electricity can be generated without the requirement for pumping, as in case of a storage hydropower facility without pumping ability.
- In terms of application, the global pumped hydro storage plant market can be classified into peak shaving, load balancing, and others. The peak shaving segment dominated the global pumped hydro storage plant market in 2018. These plants can be used for peak generation to meet the highest demand in a short period of time.
Asia Pacific to Hold a Major Share of Global Pumped Hydro Storage Plant Market:
- Based on region, the global pumped hydro storage plant market can be classified into North America, Asia Pacific, Europe, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific dominated the global pumped hydro storage plant market in 2018. In 2017, China installed more number of new hydropower facilities than any other country, putting 9.1 GW of electricity into operation, including 1.8 GW of pumped storage. According to the China Energy Storage Alliance, China’s total operational energy storage capacity totaled 28.9 GW by the end of 2017. Pumped hydro energy storage plants in the country made up a majority of this capacity i.e. nearly 99%.
- In India, pumped hydro storage plants of around 2.6 GW are already operational, with additional 3.1-GW plants being under construction
- Europe is the second-largest market, with 57 GW of pumped storage capacity in operation in the region. The region accounts for approximately 33% share of the global market. Opportunities are mostly concentrated in mountainous areas in Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Spain, and Portugal. With the common target of 20% of renewable energy use by 2020, several EU member countries have introduced economic support programs for renewable energy generation, such as feed-in tariffs. This drives the pumped hydro storage plant market in Europe.
- North America is expected to contribute significantly to the global pumped hydro storage plant market during the forecast period. In the U.S., currently, there are 40 pumped storage projects providing over 22,000 MW of storage, with the largest projects being located in Virginia, Michigan, and California.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on competition on Pumped Hydro Storage Plant Market here
Key Players Operating in the Market:
A few of the key players operating in the global pumped hydro storage plant market are:
- Duke Energy Corp.
- E•ON SE
- Chubu Electric Power Company Inc.
- Electric Power Development Co., Ltd.
- Korea Electric Power Corp. (KEPCO)
- Sulzer AG
- Voith GmbH & Co.
- Andritz Hydro GmbH
In January 2018, San Diego County Water Authority assessed the potential to develop 500-MW hydropower energy storage project at the San Vicente Reservoir near Lakeside in San Diego County. Black & Veatch had been selected to serve as owner’s representative for this energy storage facility. The pumped hydro energy storage solution would support power grid operations and enable significant and sustained integration of renewable wind and solar energy with the power supply mix.
Global Pumped Hydro Storage Plant Market: Research Scope
Global Pumped Hydro Storage Plant Market, by Feedstock
- Open-loop Pumped Hydro Storage Plant
- Closed-loop Pumped Hydro Storage Plant
Global Pumped Hydro Storage Plant Market, by Application
- Peak Shaving
- Load Balancing
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.